local dealer quoted $1500 for alignment!?

Xproplayer

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra White
I'm in san jose area

San jose the dealer was Sunnyvale that quoted the 1500 to 2k
There is a norcal discord for folks like us in the area, I'll DM you

Toyota Sunnyvale is apparently one of the good shops for working on supras, but they've given me some drama. However stay away from the mountain view toyota dealer, they only have 1 tech capable of working on supras so they are very slow.

I got my car aligned at SpeedElement in San Jose, they charge $150 /hr shop rate for all services, I recently paid for a mount and balance of 4 tires with an alignment and paid $306, which I believe ~100 was the alignment.

The top tier shop around here is Elite Performance, but I don't know their prices.

Edit: alright mods thats real cool of you to delete the entire section about the discord, if the url is a problem then remove that.
Sponsored

table

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 MKV Supra 3.0 Premium | Nitro Yellow
There is a norcal discord for folks like us in the area, I'll DM you

Toyota Sunnyvale is apparently one of the good shops for working on supras, but they've given me some drama. However stay away from the mountain view toyota dealer, they only have 1 tech capable of working on supras so they are very slow.

I got my car aligned at SpeedElement in San Jose, they charge $150 /hr shop rate for all services, I recently paid for a mount and balance of 4 tires with an alignment and paid $306, which I believe ~100 was the alignment.

The top tier shop around here is Elite Performance, but I don't know their prices.

Edit: alright mods thats real cool of you to delete the entire section about the discord, if the url is a problem then remove that.
You think I could get an invite to that discord? Thanks

nashcarr

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra 3.0 PMT, 95 Miata, 2016 Lexus IS300 awd
I am thinking that they just do not want to mess with an alignment on your car. It should not cost more than $200 TBH.

They DO need the special BMW tool (whatever that is) that they have to "sign out" from Toyota, which makes scheduling your alignment a real PIA, especially since most Toyota dealers only have ONE Supra tech that is allowed to work on the car.

I had Toyota do mine 2x (under warranty) and they still could not get it right (Kerry Toyota in Florence, KY) I have never been back since, nor will I ever return after poor service. Toyota corporate was no help either!

I would take it to a BMW dealer or a really GOOD performance shop that has aligned GR Supras before.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
You don't need any special tool to align these cars. They align like any other car. I've done probably 20+ alignments on my Supra over the last two years.

nashcarr

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 Supra 3.0 PMT, 95 Miata, 2016 Lexus IS300 awd
You don't need any special tool to align these cars. They align like any other car. I've done probably 20+ alignments on my Supra over the last two years.
What is the dealer talking about that they need the "BMW tool"????

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
The only time they would need Toyota ISTA is if something like the steering rack or such is totally out of alignment from a super wack toe adjustment or something. It would take a lot to do that though, like an accident or some ape on the alignment rack.

That said, you can also just use Protool to reset the same thing. For 90% of people, they will never need to do that when aligning these.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
Not too sure about that either, but I recall many BMWs want these specific-weighted bags (or equivalent) on the seats & cargo area to simulate the weight of an occupant or two. Apparently the MKV is no different...

Screenshot 2024-01-16 163150.png

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Not too sure about that either, but I recall many BMWs want these specific-weighted bags (or equivalent) on the seats & cargo area to simulate the weight of an occupant or two. Apparently the MKV is no different...

Screenshot 2024-01-16 163150.png
That's just a high quality "right" way to do an alignment on any car, as if someone is actually driving the car. Good motorsport shops have you sit in the drivers seat or put equivalent ballast in while aligning the car. That said, you really don't have to be that precise.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL