Cornstar12

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Toyota GR Supra
0999FEE9-0595-411B-BE8B-205C040FB452.jpeg

Glad to be part of Supra community! I’ve had my new A-91MT Supra for a couple months now and about 500 miles (Out of state purchased delayed registration so I could drive). In love with the car. It is my first “performance” vehicle after driving my Lancer into the ground. Some of my takeaways and questions if anyone would like to provide guidance.
  • The burnout White really makes it pop but a matte/satin white car in Texas was just asking for headaches. Lots of challenges with preventing staining on paint to constantly have to clean. Just got front PPF and Ceramic coating that has made big difference so far
  • Heads up display (My last car was a 2011 so I’m easily impressed) I don’t know how I drove without this now
  • Manual transmission. Great short throws. Just feels right. First to second gear is very touchy but eventually got it down smoothly.
  • Visibility. Honestly not as bad as expected with typical drives. Large side mirrors cover majority of bases and safety package has seems like it has minimal weaknesses
Questions/Guidance
  • Seems to be very little consensus on break in periods lol. In general I have driven very conservatively and never use cruise control anyway. Did 1 non-redline launch <80mph with engine warm and maybe a couple 0-30 non redline out of stop lights. Would you recommend doing first oil change early on or is that a thing of the
    past?

• Have heard that getting oil changes at Toyota dealerships can be difficult as often do not stock Supra materials. Should I just find a good non-dealership spot or try to find a where I live that can do it?
Sponsored

A90.C

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra, 2015 BMW 335i
Welcome and congrats, can’t imagine how fun the manual is!

Break in periods are still as heavily debated as they always have been. Manufacturer recommends it, but it’s not like anyone is blowing engines driving them hard from the get go. Just go with whatever route you’re comfortable with.

Dealership headache is true. Not only with the parts, but the tech has to be a “Supra Tech” to do anything to it. Best bet is to find a good local indy BMW shop. They will know these cars best.

Traxion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
I lean towards better safe than sorry. Owner's manual recommends oil change at 1200 miles which is the end of the break-in period. You're in Houston and most big cities are going to be better supplied and have a technician who can work on your vehicle so you're probably okay. The farther out you go, the more likely shortage of parts/technicians would happen.

calmeda1

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
I lean towards better safe than sorry.
This!

It's very tempting to launch your car at first, it's a ridiculously fun car. But it's best to be safe and slow the first miles until you reach your break in period. After that, have fun with it! Heck, take it to the track even

Awales74

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, Mazda 6
The manufacturer's suggested break in period is a car guy Rorschach test. If you have fears of warranty, cars burning oil, etc.. then follow it. If for nothing more than your own peace of mind. Otherwise grip it and rip it.

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
The manufacturer's suggested break in period is a car guy Rorschach test. If you have fears of warranty, cars burning oil, etc.. then follow it. If for nothing more than your own peace of mind. Otherwise grip it and rip it.
not following the break in period voided my warranty I think. I don't know what other reason they'd have to not touch my car.

mmspider

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 2.0L(sold)
In regards to service I would try bigger dealerships. They usually get more supras and service more. Also you might want to call to setup the appointments. I won`t recommend using indy shops if your car is under warranty either. But that`s just a personal opinion.

Diablo

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Launch Edition / 2018 4Runner TRD
not following the break in period voided my warranty I think. I don't know what other reason they'd have to not touch my car.
Poor “Rick” can’t get any dealership love

OP
OP
Cornstar12

Cornstar12

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Toyota GR Supra
In regards to service I would try bigger dealerships. They usually get more supras and service more. Also you might want to call to setup the appointments. I won`t recommend using indy shops if your car is under warranty either. But that`s just a personal opinion.
One of the biggest US Toyota dealerships is near me and they usually have at least a couple Supra’s in inventory so will research them and give it a shot. Thanks!

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Welcome and congrats, can’t imagine how fun the manual is!

Break in periods are still as heavily debated as they always have been. Manufacturer recommends it, but it’s not like anyone is blowing engines driving them hard from the get go. Just go with whatever route you’re comfortable with.

Dealership headache is true. Not only with the parts, but the tech has to be a “Supra Tech” to do anything to it. Best bet is to find a good local indy BMW shop. They will know these cars best.
Agree. Just avoid dealerships except for warranty, TSB, or recall service. Toyota dealerships have to share Supra technicians, who are the only people that can work on the Supra. That can make scheduling a nightmare since the dealership sometimes doesn't schedule your drop-off for a date when the technician is there, and sometimes routine stuff can take days because only one person is allowed to work on the car.

In my experience, these techs aren't any better than an independent BMW mechanic, and often worse. Last time I brought my car to the dealer for service, the car was returned to me with the hood half-open. Never again.

OP
OP
Cornstar12

Cornstar12

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Toyota GR Supra
Agree. Just avoid dealerships except for warranty, TSB, or recall service. Toyota dealerships have to share Supra technicians, who are the only people that can work on the Supra. That can make scheduling a nightmare since the dealership sometimes doesn't schedule your drop-off for a date when the technician is there, and sometimes routine stuff can take days because only one person is allowed to work on the car.

In my experience, these techs aren't any better than an independent BMW mechanic, and often worse. Last time I brought my car to the dealer for service, the car was returned to me with the hood half-open. Never again.
Man what a horror story :(. There’s a huge Toyota dealership near me that is considered one of the best in country. If after research they aren’t spotless will check out some Indy shops

mmspider

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 2.0L(sold)
One of the biggest US Toyota dealerships is near me and they usually have at least a couple Supra’s in inventory so will research them and give it a shot. Thanks!
Yea get one of those larger dealerships near a large city/suburban area they probably see more supras in for service. I have a Toyota dealership in walking distance to my office no joke. But I would drive 15-20 mins to different one. The dealer I use always has supras coming in and import cars for Toyota themselves. I remember when I got my supra it came off a trailer with Toyota owned Supras which were press cars and testing.

MKVCole

First Name
Cole
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2023 A91 Supra
How did the PPF turn out? I have the same color but I heard you can tell the difference between the areas that are ppf'd vs not ppf'd on a matte car.

OP
OP
Cornstar12

Cornstar12

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Toyota GR Supra
It turned out really well! I honestly cannot tell the difference between areas that are covered by PPF/Ceramic Coating versus just Ceramic Coating. They used a Stealth PPF that has a slight matte finish so instead of it making the covered areas slightly more glossy they are slightly more matte. Net net no visual differences between the covered area. I think the white coloring and the fact it is satin and not full on matte makes it very hard to notice.
Sponsored