Make the Supra quieter on highways

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
JT; 1290SAR
Yes, stock. It's the road noise from the tires contributing to most of the noise (and some wind noise I think).

Are there quieter/better tires than the Michelin PSS?
are you coming from a S Class Benz with noise cancel?

you could dynamat the floor to drastically cut road noise, but I think youll be happier in a larger sedan. Some people just arent suited to motorbikes/trucks/sports cars. ??‍♂
Sponsored

BMW_YOTA

First Name
joey
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Supra GR
This is so weird, my 21 on the road is soooo quite on non sport mode. yeah, get an electric car.

OP
OP

michaeljeff

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Phantom 3.0 Premium
just my own opinion, I've owned and driven coast to midwest and coast to coast U-Haul trucks, Nissan Zs, both touring and Nismo models and 280Zs as well as camrys...the Supra is more quiet than any of them; I figure it is actually your hearing is turned to a 'sensitive' level and needs an immediate medical intervention of some sort...either that or try ear muffs
Well... either that or everything I've driven has been quieter than the Supra, and opposite for you.

My daily right now is a RAV4 Prime, and it is 5-10db quieter on the same roads. I will add some Dynamat Superlite to the car and it should help.

OP
OP

michaeljeff

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Phantom 3.0 Premium
are you coming from a S Class Benz with noise cancel?

you could dynamat the floor to drastically cut road noise, but I think youll be happier in a larger sedan. Some people just arent suited to motorbikes/trucks/sports cars. ??‍♂
My A7 did not have noise cancellation but my Maxima did, and I both were very quiet overall and I never noticed any loudness.

I will be adding some dynamat superlite to the floors and doors and it should help. At the moment, I can't justify a 992 Targa or Portofino as a weekend car, but some day. The Supra is the near perfect cheap fun weekend car for now that I don't have to worry about financially.

KurtP

First Name
Kurt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
JT; 1290SAR
My A7 did not have noise cancellation but my Maxima did, and I both were very quiet overall and I never noticed any loudness.

I will be adding some dynamat superlite to the floors and doors and it should help. At the moment, I can't justify a 992 Targa or Portofino as a weekend car, but some day. The Supra is the near perfect cheap fun weekend car for now that I don't have to worry about financially.
you can get a lot out of dynamat and you dont even have to do the entire floor. You can spread the sheets out and get the majority of the benefit since its catching resonance off the floor.

also, things that insulate against heat also tend to insulate against sound....might find different flooring materials or mats that can compliment it.

geoszzz

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Launch Premium
Well... either that or everything I've driven has been quieter than the Supra, and opposite for you.

My daily right now is a RAV4 Prime, and it is 5-10db quieter on the same roads. I will add some Dynamat Superlite to the car and it should help.
Maybe so Michael; but, fuggetaboutit and just enjoy the driving experience with the tunes turned up a tad and maybe do the dynamat thing too..."over analysis creates paralysis" maybe just relax and enjoy the road noise less even

fnord

First Name
Rex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford Mustang GT
just my own opinion, I've owned and driven coast to midwest and coast to coast U-Haul trucks, Nissan Zs, both touring and Nismo models and 280Zs as well as camrys...the Supra is more quiet than any of them; I figure it is actually your hearing is turned to a 'sensitive' level and needs an immediate medical intervention of some sort...either that or try ear muffs
the 350Z was the loudest goddamn car I've ever driven, in terms of road noise. It seemed like every pebble you drove over was amplified 1000x

geoszzz

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Launch Premium
the 350Z was the loudest goddamn car I've ever driven, in terms of road noise. It seemed like every pebble you drove over was amplified 1000x
.... you can say that again!!!...but, the 280 beat it with it's road noise...
Sponsored