Manual Supra - NLS (No Lift Shift)? Yes or No?

Nooka King

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 supra MT, 2012 Mazdaspeed3 w/Tech Pkg
Most definitely does not have any no lift feature, would need an n2mb wot box or something similar, the real question is how many are experiencing the 1st to 2nd gear grind, nobody seems to want to talk about that 😅
Sponsored

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
I wish we had a cooler rev limiter sound, I love the way toyota/ lexus products sounds against the rev limiter with that super cool bang. Ours is so lameeeee.

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
the real question is how many are experiencing the 1st to 2nd gear grind, nobody seems to want to talk about that 😅
Umm, what?! I've never had a grind, nor have I ever seen, read, or heard any reports from the field regarding such an occurrence. WTF are you playing at?

puckshaw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 CU Later A91-MT
Umm, what?! I've never had a grind, nor have I ever seen, read, or heard any reports from the field regarding such an occurrence. WTF are you playing at?
Me neither. Maybe that's why nobody wants to talk about it.

Nooka King

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ok, I guess it's just me and few youtubers like matt Maran, at the drag strip shifting real fast it will grind. Not trying to get at anything, just something that's been an issue with some supras.

OP
OP
Sharocks

Sharocks

First Name
Sha
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
23 A91 MT, 04 M3, 05 M3, 00 M5, 00 Z3M, 04 X5 6MT
..... But I thought part of the experience was working the pedals.
If you don't know how NLS works or even how manual transmissions work, that's okay bro.

OP
OP
Sharocks

Sharocks

First Name
Sha
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ok, I guess it's just me and few youtubers like matt Maran, at the drag strip shifting real fast it will grind. Not trying to get at anything, just something that's been an issue with some supras.
A lot of folks getting into these manual cars are coming from Evo's, STI's, all the typical JDM rice boxes.

You cannot shift this car with the same vigor as Honda. It will not work.

That's why they're running into issues.

Nooka King

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I have driven manual since I was 11 years old, and every car I've ever had is manual, and I've been a drag racer/roll racer since 13, I only say this for reference that I definitely understand that every manual is different and I've had lots of experience with tons of transmissions. From Honda trans to Mt82 in mustangs, tremic 6060s in camaros, srt4, mazdaspeed 3 and many more. Some with fuel cut nls to spark cut systems for nls. Always been a racer and have always owned a manual.

The supra being my latest manual, and I agree it does not like to be shifted hard or fast from 1st to 2nd especially on a prepped surface, it will go into gear but at times will grind, this is spoken about in magazines and YouTuber reviews so im not trying to throw any type of shade at the car, I LOVE THE CAR! It's exceptional. I'm only looking for other who maybe have experienced the same thing, it does not take away from my joy of the car as I've adjusted to shifting 1st to 2nd a specific way as to not grind the gear but I've been curious as to why it just doesn't like it, and maybe as the years go by, there could be remedys to make it better such as fluids, or an upgraded clutch or perhaps it's just the inherent design from its bmw Brothers.

Sorry for the long post, I only say all this to say I'm a die hard manual guy and the supra is incredible especially on a race track like eagle canyon raceway, wow what a car. I just mean to talk to others who perhaps have experienced the shift grind I'm talking about under aggressive driving and maybe there is a solution that I could implement. Till then I shift 1st to 2nd just a bit slower then I do the other gears haha.

OP
OP
Sharocks

Sharocks

First Name
Sha
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I have driven manual since I was 11 years old, and every car I've ever had is manual, and I've been a drag racer/roll racer since 13, I only say this for reference that I definitely understand that every manual is different and I've had lots of experience with tons of transmissions. From Honda trans to Mt82 in mustangs, tremic 6060s in camaros, srt4, mazdaspeed 3 and many more. Some with fuel cut nls to spark cut systems for nls. Always been a racer and have always owned a manual.

The supra being my latest manual, and I agree it does not like to be shifted hard or fast from 1st to 2nd especially on a prepped surface, it will go into gear but at times will grind, this is spoken about in magazines and YouTuber reviews so im not trying to throw any type of shade at the car, I LOVE THE CAR! It's exceptional. I'm only looking for other who maybe have experienced the same thing, it does not take away from my joy of the car as I've adjusted to shifting 1st to 2nd a specific way as to not grind the gear but I've been curious as to why it just doesn't like it, and maybe as the years go by, there could be remedys to make it better such as fluids, or an upgraded clutch or perhaps it's just the inherent design from its bmw Brothers.

Sorry for the long post, I only say all this to say I'm a die hard manual guy and the supra is incredible especially on a race track like eagle canyon raceway, wow what a car. I just mean to talk to others who perhaps have experienced the shift grind I'm talking about under aggressive driving and maybe there is a solution that I could implement. Till then I shift 1st to 2nd just a bit slower then I do the other gears haha.
It's going to be 100% user error.

I am developing an SSK for this car as we speak.

I should have my prototype ready to install in the next few weeks.

That should help remedy any miss shifts since the whole assembly is still BMW and that results in a lot of rubber being used.

Also, delete your CDV. It will help you immensely.

OP
OP
Sharocks

Sharocks

First Name
Sha
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
..... But I thought part of the experience was working the pedals

You totally called me out. Bro.
You are working the same pedals the same with NLS.

Congrats Jason, you learned something new this Friday.

OP
OP
Sharocks

Sharocks

First Name
Sha
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)