Mazda developing straight-six Skyactiv-X & Skyactiv-D engines. Will Toyota use Mazda's I6?

OP
OP
KahnBB6

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Bestcar is reporting the next Crown will be a joint partnership with Mazda.

https://bestcarweb.jp/news/scoop/216839
This is a good sign. If true it will save the Crown sedan from being discontinued like the Mark X even as an SUV style Crown may be in the works.

And maybe it will even spawn a sportier Chaser or Mark X variant all of which will use those Mazda Skyactiv-X inline-six engines. I hope for a Tourer V / IR-V or GR/GRMN variant too but one hopes a true successor to those 90's Toyota performance sedans is even on Akio Toyoda's mind.

I'm not holding my breath for a Toyota USA variant of these co-developed sedans but I do expect the Mazda 6 version here.

Further, Mazda has hinted at a RWD coupe with their inline-six and since that would likely need to be co-developed as well I can dream... a hybrid inline-six driver-focused true successor to the original Lexus SC and 2.5L Turbo Z30 Soarer, perhaps? The LC is a beautiful and amazing car that can be considered an "ultimate SC400" but if all this RWD platform + Mazda I-6 driveline R&D spawned a new and properly sporty Lexus SC in the vein of the 1991-2000 models it really would be something.

One can hope for cool and fun things with a car-guy CEO heading Toyota and Mazda wishing to co-develop and share costs as they try new things to move upmarket : )
Sponsored