MCS 1NR vs 2NR

AndyK5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Nitro Yellow MT
For track use with a stock engine 275/18 200TW tires on Willow springs, Chuckwalla and BW, running between second to fastest or fastest group.

1 way gives you rebound dampening adjustment, 2 way gives you rebound and compression. I never had adjustable suspension on a car I took to track so I am not sure if I would need compression adjustment and the $1k in savings would be nice not gonna lie.

My suspension understanding from dirt bikes:
Increased dampening is slowing down the shaft movement in a shock. The more dampening, the slower the shaft moves and faster it gets out of oscillation. Compression is when the suspension is compressing, rebound is when it is extending. Slow/High speed is when the shaft (not the vehicle) is moving slowly or fast. A sharp bump at slow speed would most likely still trigger a high speed circuit where a gradual whoop/g-out at 100mph possibly would valve through slow speed circuit. Overly damped compression was bad in dirt bikes, it would make the bike run on the top stroke of the forks and caused a harsh ride, overly damped rebound would slow down shock too much and the rear wheel would not extend fast enough to make contact with ground after a compression stroke, losing traction etc.. etc..

Given that:

- Does 2NR have better % resale value in the used market? Is it easier to sell than 1NR?
- Is compression adjustment for a track car is that necessary on track? What would it be set at on the 1NR, right in the middle setting of what 2RN would have? I tried to schedule a consultation with MCS for even more questions but they did not contact me yet. Also I never liked playing with clickers that much but in the past most suspension I had did not change in feel with clickers a whole lot.
Edit: Compression adjusts w.r.t rebound dampening, they go up and down together though I am not sure what the relationship is (linear or not).
- Is compression/rebound adjustments on MCS easy to do track side? Do I need to jack the car up or somehow get access to the top of shock in the rear?
Edit- Google helped: https://www.motioncontrolsuspension.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/2013-1WNR-ADJ-INSTRUCTIONS.pdf
https://www.motioncontrolsuspension.com/knowledge-base/product-instructions/2wnr/
One knob at the top of the shock, rebound in the down position, compression in the up position (for 2 way). I wonder how do you do the rears....

- Are coil overs in the rear ok? No worry about top hat blowing though the chassis? Do you think coil overs perform better than divorced for one reason or another?
Sponsored

Last edited:

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
For track use with a stock engine 275/18 200TW tires on Willow springs, Chuckwalla and BW, running between second to fastest or fastest group.

1 way gives you rebound dampening adjustment, 2 way gives you rebound and compression. I never had adjustable suspension on a car I took to track so I am not sure if I would need compression adjustment and the $1k in savings would be nice not gonna lie.

My suspension understanding from dirt bikes:
Increased dampening is slowing down the shaft movement in a shock. The more dampening, the slower the shaft moves and faster it gets out of oscillation. Compression is when the suspension is compressing, rebound is when it is extending. Slow/High speed is when the shaft (not the vehicle) is moving slowly or fast. A sharp bump at slow speed would most likely still trigger a high speed circuit where a gradual whoop/g-out at 100mph possibly would valve through slow speed circuit. Overly damped compression was bad in dirt bikes, it would make the bike run on the top stroke of the forks and caused a harsh ride, overly damped rebound would slow down shock too much and the rear wheel would not extend fast enough to make contact with ground after a compression stroke, losing traction etc.. etc..

Given that:

- Does 2NR have better % resale value in the used market? Is it easier to sell than 1NR?
- Is compression adjustment for a track car is that necessary on track? What would it be set at on the 1NR, right in the middle setting of what 2RN would have? I tried to schedule a consultation with MCS for even more questions but they did not contact me yet. Also I never liked playing with clickers that much but in the past most suspension I had did not change in feel with clickers a whole lot.
Edit: Compression adjusts w.r.t rebound dampening, they go up and down together though I am not sure what the relationship is (linear or not).
- Is compression/rebound adjustments on MCS easy to do track side? Do I need to jack the car up or somehow get access to the top of shock in the rear?
Edit- Google helped: https://www.motioncontrolsuspension.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/2013-1WNR-ADJ-INSTRUCTIONS.pdf
https://www.motioncontrolsuspension.com/knowledge-base/product-instructions/2wnr/
One knob at the top of the shock, rebound in the down position, compression in the up position (for 2 way). I wonder how do you do the rears....

- Are coil overs in the rear ok? No worry about top hat blowing though the chassis? Do you think coil overs perform better than divorced for one reason or another?
Both very capable. Just depends on how you want to tinker. The adjustment in the rear is kind of a pain to get to you, you have to jack up the car. It's either at the top of the strut or bottom, depending on how you mount them. I would go for full coilover conversion in rear, makes things much simplier, imho. No issue with chassis mount strength.

I've used over a dozen different coilovers in my life and the MCS are by far my favorite thus far. Worth every penny if you are serious about tracking.

One thing to note (if you care) is that it's cheaper to upgrade to a remote system if you get the 1WNR, compared to the 2WNR. I inquired this last winter and it wasn't far off from just outright purchasing 2W Remote brand new. Basically the 2WNR internals are completely different.

Location of the rear adjustment. Some people mount them the other way and they are even harder to get to as they are basically hidden in the lower arm crevice.

A9810E2D-49D2-4D55-B698-EDD8252A15AC.jpg

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
I don't think I'd let resale value influence any decision I make about a car. Especially a coilover set. I'd never sacrifice performance on the track because I want to have better resale. You free yourself of a lot of worries if you don't include that as a reason for purchase. Also, I've never seen a coilover "blow through" a chassis. You're good there.

OP
OP
AndyK5

AndyK5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Nitro Yellow MT
Both very capable. Just depends on how you want to tinker. The adjustment in the rear is kind of a pain to get to you, you have to jack up the car. It's either at the top of the strut or bottom, depending on how you mount them. I would go for full coilover conversion in rear, makes things much simplier, imho. No issue with chassis mount strength.

I've used over a dozen different coilovers in my life and the MCS are by far my favorite thus far. Worth every penny if you are serious about tracking.

One thing to note (if you care) is that it's cheaper to upgrade to a remote system if you get the 1WNR, compared to the 2WNR. I inquired this last winter and it wasn't far off from just outright purchasing 2W Remote brand new. Basically the 2WNR internals are completely different.

Location of the rear adjustment. Some people mount them the other way and they are even harder to get to as they are basically hidden in the lower arm crevice.

A9810E2D-49D2-4D55-B698-EDD8252A15AC.jpg
I mean, I already sold these to my self thinking about them last night, with this post it is pretty much a done deal.

As far as upgrading, you mean 1wayNR to 2wayRemote is easier than 2NR to 2Remote? Is it that the upgrade cost is the same but you paid less upfront for the 1NR or on top of 1NR being cheaper it is also cheaper to upgrade?

I assume you are using 2NR, how often are you using the compression adjuster and how far off is it from your rebound? Like if your compression is backed 12 clicks and rebound only 3 or something... I think 1NR pretty much stiffens and loosens rebound/comp together and you can't solve an individual behavior by keeping one adjustment constant. Like I love my rebound...let me see if I can fix this issue (whatever it is) using compression only.

Thinking in those terms, the right damper set for me is 1NR. Get it, adjust it once, play around with it here and there and settle on a setting for a while. When I get to a point where I feel the need for independent compression adjustment, than get the 2way with or without reservoir and sell the 1NR (@kaj this is why I am asking for resale value, if 1NR is not liked in the community and resale is low, it would make and upgrade to 2way much harder, where it would make more sense to just buy 2NRs to begin with.)

Also reservoir.... I am not considering these systems but, why would one want/need a reservoir system. I see some of their Porsche lineup only offers reservoir for example.

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Typically, a shock will either adjust comp OR rebound. The better stuff seems to let you adjust rebound. I've had better luck with rebound adjustments than comp.
Maybe someone can verify.
I'm following because I'm pulling the trigger in a couple of months. Very interested.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
I mean, I already sold these to my self thinking about them last night, with this post it is pretty much a done deal.

As far as upgrading, you mean 1wayNR to 2wayRemote is easier than 2NR to 2Remote? Is it that the upgrade cost is the same but you paid less upfront for the 1NR or on top of 1NR being cheaper it is also cheaper to upgrade?

I assume you are using 2NR, how often are you using the compression adjuster and how far off is it from your rebound? Like if your compression is backed 12 clicks and rebound only 3 or something... I think 1NR pretty much stiffens and loosens rebound/comp together and you can't solve an individual behavior by keeping one adjustment constant. Like I love my rebound...let me see if I can fix this issue (whatever it is) using compression only.

Thinking in those terms, the right damper set for me is 1NR. Get it, adjust it once, play around with it here and there and settle on a setting for a while. When I get to a point where I feel the need for independent compression adjustment, than get the 2way with or without reservoir and sell the 1NR (@kaj this is why I am asking for resale value, if 1NR is not liked in the community and resale is low, it would make and upgrade to 2way much harder, where it would make more sense to just buy 2NRs to begin with.)

Also reservoir.... I am not considering these systems but, why would one want/need a reservoir system. I see some of their Porsche lineup only offers reservoir for example.
@garudathree has the 1WNR so he can talk more to his experience. He is faster than me with way less power at the same track so that will tell you something about how capable they are. ;). I have the 2WNR.

MCS told me it's cheaper to upgrade the 1WNR to 2WR because of the internals. The 2WNR have totally different internals because both Comp/Rebound are in the body, and I believe the 2WR have one adjustment in the body and one at the remote canister.

I only messed with my adjustments a couple times this season but I am kind of hard headed about not making too many adjustments all the time. I currently run: Front 5comp/7rebound, Rear 6comp/9rebound with 650lbF/600lbR springs with Verus aero. Last year I ran 550/500 springs with no areo.

Remote reservoirs have advantages that they have more fluid, so heat effects them less, and also since they have more fluid, they can have better ride quality with stiffer springs. That said, my 2WNR on my Supra is the best riding "track car" I have ever owned.

OP
OP
AndyK5

AndyK5

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Nitro Yellow MT
Between this thread and a few DMs, I can pretty much cancel my MCS appointment.

Meraki Autoworks

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.merakiautoworks.com
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
I'd go with 2 way vs 1 way if I'm doing it. Even if its overkill for you I rather know I have the better option for when I get better and can mess with the settings more. People going MCS usually go for the better stuff anyways.

-Josh

garudathree

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
991gt3rs
1W-dyno-graph-rebound.jpg

iirc 1wnr offers a bit more headroom for rebound dampening, but I’m at full stiff running 650/750. my entire setup is optimizing for high speed front grip
Sponsored