JRZ vs MCS vs KW vs Ohlins coilovers

Superooo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2018 Subaru Crosstrek
What are the pros and cons of the above specified coilover suspensions?

My budget is about 3-5k for the coilover and would like to get something that's for the street + track. JRZ/MCS 2 ways, KW 3 ways, Ohlins (?)

This is a second car so I don't mind a bit more of a stiffer ride. The my Supra is 2021 and is currently completely stock. I'm thinking of starting with coilovers and going in this order: suspensions arms, seats, wheels, cage, harness, tune?
Sponsored

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
What are the pros and cons of the above specified coilover suspensions?

My budget is about 3-5k for the coilover and would like to get something that's for the street + track. JRZ/MCS 2 ways, KW 3 ways, Ohlins (?)

This is a second car so I don't mind a bit more of a stiffer ride. The my Supra is 2021 and is currently completely stock. I'm thinking of starting with coilovers and going in this order: suspensions arms, seats, wheels, cage, harness, tune?
What is the percentage of street vs track use? Hard to beat the Ohlins for a street/track hybrid.

The higher end JRZ and MCS will ride better and soak up bumps better. That is the biggest difference I have experience once you go higher end.

I would honestly stay away from KW. Ohlins are much higher quality with much better support.

If you want to treat yo' self and have a very capable track car that also doesn't suck to drive on the street, the MCS and JRZ's are the way to go. I've used a dozen plus different coilovers in my life and now after using MCS, it will be impossible for me to go back to anything else.

giphy.gif

SupraTR

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Supra 3.0 Premium; Mazda CX-5
If you want to treat yo' self and have a very capable track car that also doesn't suck to drive on the street, the MCS and JRZ's are the way to go. I've used a dozen plus different coilovers in my life and now after using MCS, it will be impossible for me to go back to anything else.
As someone who has not previously owned coilovers but as I'll probably go this route down the road because I enjoy setting money on fire...how does ride quality on MCS compare to say stock sport mode? This would assume the coils being dialed for comfort as opposed to being dialed for track.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
As someone who has not previously owned coilovers but as I'll probably go this route down the road because I enjoy setting money on fire...how does ride quality on MCS compare to say stock sport mode? This would assume the coils being dialed for comfort as opposed to being dialed for track.
Very much depends on the spring rates you choose but I can say even with 650lb front/600 rear the car feels great on the street and not harsh.

I will admit I only put about 1000 miles on the OEM suspension and zero track events before upgrading so I can't honestly answer your question about the differences.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
Also, the remote MCS and JRZ ride better because of the remote canisters and more fluid. I personally have non-remote MCS and have no complaints on ride quality for the capability of the car. It's stiffer of course but not harsh.

I'm also an old man approaching 50 so keep that in mind as well. I'm much more sensitive to ride quality compared to when I was in my 20's. :cool:

decodeddiesel

First Name
Wes
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2016 VW Tiguan, 2007 Cayman
I'm going to have a phone conversation with Barry at 3DM Motorsports on Tuesday for a drop-in Ohlins R&T set with custom springs and valving on Vorshlag camber plates. I'm also planning on having a similar call with AR Motorsports.

My car won't be seeing daily driver duties after this summer, so I can focus on a more dedicated track set-up. I'm going to end up doing 12 track days this summer, and I'll probably do the same or more next year.

Cost wise it'll be a wash between these Ohlins from 3DM Motorsports and MCS 1WNR with springs and Vorshlags from AR Motorsports (about $4K).

PikkaGTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Zupra
Ohlins + swift springs + Swift helper springs + Vorshlag camber plates
👌

garudathree

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
991gt3rs
I'm going to have a phone conversation with Barry at 3DM Motorsports on Tuesday for a drop-in Ohlins R&T set with custom springs and valving on Vorshlag camber plates. I'm also planning on having a similar call with AR Motorsports.

My car won't be seeing daily driver duties after this summer, so I can focus on a more dedicated track set-up. I'm going to end up doing 12 track days this summer, and I'll probably do the same or more next year.

Cost wise it'll be a wash between these Ohlins from 3DM Motorsports and MCS 1WNR with springs and Vorshlags from AR Motorsports (about $4K).
tell Martin at AR I sent you, he’ll be happy to chat on setup recommendations. can be hard to get a hold of on race weeks though.
Sponsored