Sponsored

JDM BLKBMW

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra A91 Edition Black, Infiniti Q50 Red Sport 400R
Also- "fixed" is an interesting way to refer to something that isn't broken.
Your opinion. I'm not interested in taking the risk. Incase you've missed the current affairs, there is a "TINY" but of instability in the area of where you are sending the DME. And $500 in shipping costs for a $700 service is about a broken a system as there can be. So Screw Russia and their monopoly on the unlock.

GMsuperfan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 A91 Refraction, 68 Camaro SS, 17 GTI
Look like you've made a decision for all users. This sounds like "When I say "fly on a plane" I mean a private jet with blackjack and *, not some pathetic scheduled flight."

You should separate levels of "customness", because not everybody wants to ride on a wacky wheels, with parachutes and some kind of similar stuff, someone just want to get their car tuned to run faster than stock without bothering much. Please give them such opportunity, don't speak for all that there's "no custom tunes" because this not quite true.

PS: We do not want to offend anyone, just trying to clarify some things :)
And yes, we are telling people that they won't get some of the "special" features exclusive to any of the flasher platforms, and guess what? They are ok with it.
Honestly, i think what a lot of people are saying is that they don't want to pay top dollar for an unlock and it be limiting for them in the future with features. It's true, most folks may not go aftermarket turbo, aftermarket fueling, need canbus, etc...but i'm sure if you asked folks, most would say that if they had an option, they wouldn't want to be pigeonholed into restrictions as they might not know what position they will be in with the car in the future.....when they could have just waited for the full enchilada.

GMsuperfan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 A91 Refraction, 68 Camaro SS, 17 GTI
Then just keep waiting. I asked @femtoevo a while back when they were making a trip across the pond, and they basically ‘lol no’d’ me. Which is legit af. They don’t want to bring it her, just sit and wait-- maybe forever. Or send your ECU to Russia. It’s fast and easy.

Or don’t. I don’t care. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
There is a lot more risk doing decrypting and breaking DME security here in the states than there is in Russia, that's probably the reasoning.....the US legal system is a bit more....<robust>? than Russia.

OP
OP
zrk

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Your opinion. I'm not interested in taking the risk.
This is the opinion.You're not interested, that's fine. But.. objectively, it works, and it works well. If you don't see the value in it, that's fine, that's awesome, that's what makes us all different.

But get outta here with "it's broken" it's not, it works great. You're just not willing to pay for it, which is also fine.

Levanime

First Name
Levan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bimecu.com
Car(s)
BMW
Perhaps it's worth mentioning, I'm not trying to change anyone's mind,

All the big shops that organize shipping DMEs to Femto, of course, insure packages,
so even if in the unlikely event, something happens, it's all covered.

There had been many, many packages that went to them and came back without a single issue, except the cases when senders did not fill customs forms correctly that caused the delay.

Last edited:

rainmanfab

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra A91-CF
@Thraxbert your signature (and site?) spell it out concisely for those of us that are new to the platform, so thanks for that. Also, it's freaking hilarious.

I understand that cloning is the only way to completely unlock 100% of the system's potential. Whether that potential will ever actually be put into use by most owners is debatable, but, as has been said, I personally doubt most will ever put it to good use other than for the "show" of it, if that makes sense.

What I'm a little concerned with isn't about sending the DME to Russia, it's about the availability of pre-6/20 DMEs to clone the original to. Beyond Femto cracking the post-6/20 DMEs to allow them to be at least partially unlocked so they can be tuned or cloned, it doesn't seem like there has been a whole lot of progress for a long-term solution when cloning is no longer a viable option due to availability of pre-6/20 DMEs. What's everyone's take on that? Do you guys think they'll eventually be cracked completely, or will we get to a point that the "bonus features" (anti-lag, map switching, etc.) are no longer an option for new models? I only ask because I'm debating on having mine cloning mine while it's an option and just holding onto it until I'm out of warranty and really want to start building this thing.

Lastly, if a post-6/20 DME is unlocked by Femto, but ends up relocked after a software update or something like that by the dealer, can it be bench unlocked here in the US or would it have to go back to Russia to be unlocked again?

OP
OP
zrk

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
@Thraxbert your signature (and site?) spell it out concisely for those of us that are new to the platform, so thanks for that. Also, it's freaking hilarious.

I understand that cloning is the only way to completely unlock 100% of the system's potential. Whether that potential will ever actually be put into use by most owners is debatable, but, as has been said, I personally doubt most will ever put it to good use other than for the "show" of it, if that makes sense.

What I'm a little concerned with isn't about sending the DME to Russia, it's about the availability of pre-6/20 DMEs to clone the original to. Beyond Femto cracking the post-6/20 DMEs to allow them to be at least partially unlocked so they can be tuned or cloned, it doesn't seem like there has been a whole lot of progress for a long-term solution when cloning is no longer a viable option due to availability of pre-6/20 DMEs. What's everyone's take on that? Do you guys think they'll eventually be cracked completely, or will we get to a point that the "bonus features" (anti-lag, map switching, etc.) are no longer an option for new models? I only ask because I'm debating on having mine cloning mine while it's an option and just holding onto it until I'm out of warranty and really want to start building this thing.

Lastly, if a post-6/20 DME is unlocked by Femto, but ends up relocked after a software update or something like that by the dealer, can it be bench unlocked here in the US or would it have to go back to Russia to be unlocked again?
Site is mine, @Thraxbert lemme steal his signature.

rainmanfab

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra A91-CF
Perhaps it's worth mentioning, I'm not trying to change anyone's mind,

All the big shops that organize shipping DMEs to Femto, of course, insure packages,
so even if in the unlikely event, something happens, it's all covered.

There had been many, many packages that went to them and came back without a single issue, except the cases when senders did not fill customs forms correctly that caused the delay.
I can only assume that the insurance on the shipping is enough to replace the DME if the package is lost/damaged in transit?

Reactions: zrk
OP
OP
zrk

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The availability of pre-6/20
Also, keep in mind that ALL Gen 2 B58 work. The ECU in my car was home to a BMW X5 in its previous life. FINALLY, Visconti currently has some stock, so going through them should get you unlocked.

Yup. You can bench unlock again. Mine was "cloned" with the Recall fix completed, for example. The hardware doesn't exist on the older ECUs that prevent the full unlock.

OP
OP
zrk

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I can only assume that the insurance on the shipping is enough to replace the DME if the package is lost/damaged in transit?
Yup. If Visconti or any of the big shops lose your ECU they'll replace it.

rainmanfab

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra A91-CF
Also, keep in mind that ALL Gen 2 B58 work. The ECU in my car was home to a BMW X5 in its previous life. FINALLY, Visconti currently has some stock, so going through them should get you unlocked.
I figured the same DME is used in multiple vehicles, but I've never seen a list of which vehicles those are. Obviously, units will always be out there, but finding one will be problematic (or, at a minimum, hella $$$) at some point. That's why I'm curious if there's progress being made on being able to completely unlock post-6/20 DMEs, or if that effort has fallen by the wayside since these new DMEs came out.

Yup. You can bench unlock again. Mine was "cloned" with the Recall fix completed, for example. The hardware doesn't exist on the older ECUs that prevent the full unlock.
I was referring to a Femto unlock of the original DME if you opted against cloning. I understand bench unlocking is one of the biggest benefits of cloning to a pre-6/20 DME, but if your original DME is unlocked by Femto (without cloning) to allow for calibration changes, can it subsequently be bench unlocked if it were inadvertently relocked? I think I'm understanding this correctly, but correct me if I'm wrong.
Sponsored