First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.twistedtuning.com
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 335xi, 135i, TwinTurbo Mazda6
@Thraxbert your signature (and site?) spell it out concisely for those of us that are new to the platform, so thanks for that. Also, it's freaking hilarious.

I understand that cloning is the only way to completely unlock 100% of the system's potential. Whether that potential will ever actually be put into use by most owners is debatable, but, as has been said, I personally doubt most will ever put it to good use other than for the "show" of it, if that makes sense.

What I'm a little concerned with isn't about sending the DME to Russia, it's about the availability of pre-6/20 DMEs to clone the original to. Beyond Femto cracking the post-6/20 DMEs to allow them to be at least partially unlocked so they can be tuned or cloned, it doesn't seem like there has been a whole lot of progress for a long-term solution when cloning is no longer a viable option due to availability of pre-6/20 DMEs. What's everyone's take on that? Do you guys think they'll eventually be cracked completely, or will we get to a point that the "bonus features" (anti-lag, map switching, etc.) are no longer an option for new models? I only ask because I'm debating on having mine cloning mine while it's an option and just holding onto it until I'm out of warranty and really want to start building this thing.

Lastly, if a post-6/20 DME is unlocked by Femto, but ends up relocked after a software update or something like that by the dealer, can it be bench unlocked here in the US or would it have to go back to Russia to be unlocked again?
The availability of Pre- 6/2020 ECU's will definitely become an issue at some point. Because if you can't get a used one. eventually BMW/Toyota will put a stop to the sale of the ECUs without a tech diagnosis requiring a new ECU. They investigate stuff like this. Cloning should not be considered a long term solution IMO.

Will FEMTO or anyone else crack the ECU fully? that can't be answered honestly. As people are putting work into it, but if nothing comes of it, then it is what it is.

I can only assume that the insurance on the shipping is enough to replace the DME if the package is lost/damaged in transit?
of course, packages are insured for th cost of the new ECU at a minimum i would hope. I can only speak for me when i do unlocks, i insure for the cost of a new ECU.

I figured the same DME is used in multiple vehicles, but I've never seen a list of which vehicles those are. Obviously, units will always be out there, but finding one will be problematic (or, at a minimum, hella $$$) at some point. That's why I'm curious if there's progress being made on being able to completely unlock post-6/20 DMEs, or if that effort has fallen by the wayside since these new DMEs came out.

I was referring to a Femto unlock of the original DME if you opted against cloning. I understand bench unlocking is one of the biggest benefits of cloning to a pre-6/20 DME, but if your original DME is unlocked by Femto (without cloning) to allow for calibration changes, can it subsequently be bench unlocked if it were inadvertently relocked? I think I'm understanding this correctly, but correct me if I'm wrong.
any B58 equipped from 2020 (2019 in some countries outside the states)to early early 2021.....

x5
x3

and so on and so forth. THere are plenty of vehicle with them, but used from them, not so much.
Sponsored

rainmanfab

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra A91-CF
The availability of Pre- 6/2020 ECU's will definitely become an issue at some point. Because if you can't get a used one. eventually BMW/Toyota will put a stop to the sale of the ECUs without a tech diagnosis requiring a new ECU. They investigate stuff like this. Cloning should not be considered a long term solution IMO.

Will FEMTO or anyone else crack the ECU fully? that can't be answered honestly. As people are putting work into it, but if nothing comes of it, then it is what it is.

of course, packages are insured for th cost of the new ECU at a minimum i would hope. I can only speak for me when i do unlocks, i insure for the cost of a new ECU.

any B58 equipped from 2020 (2019 in some countries outside the states)to early early 2021.....

x5
x3

and so on and so forth. THere are plenty of vehicle with them, but used from them, not so much.
I'm hoping that Femto or someone else figures out how to crack these things completely (or BMW/Toyota finally realize their market for most of these vehicles and unlock them through software updates, if that's even possible). If they don't, I guess an unlock of the calibration area is better than nothing and will probably be sufficient for a lot of people. At that point, it'll probably fall onto the tuning software to figure out how to work within that limitation, similar to what MHD sounds like they're doing.

I still haven't heard, but if you went with a Femto unlock instead of a clone, could it be bench unlocked if it were inadvertently relocked by a dealer, or would it have to go back to Femto to be unlocked again?

OP
OP
zrk

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
or BMW/Toyota finally realize their market for most of these vehicles and unlock them through software updates, if that's even possible
Never gonna happen, and that's not their market. They don't give a fuck about tuners. And for good reason.

At that point, it'll probably fall onto the tuning software to figure out how to work within that limitation,
No, they need access to the second memory area, which isn't unlocked with the femto unlock. Only the calibration area of memory is unlocked.

7sstreet

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90
Seems like this is better than the bm3 OTS maps
BM3 is better. MHD has no map switching or antilag or flex fuel at all for Supras. BM3 released this mid last year some time for us.

OP
OP
zrk

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BM3 is better. MHD has no map switching or antilag or flex fuel at all for Supras. BM3 released this mid last year some time for us.
But there is no map switching, anti-lag, flex-fuel at all for the Femto Unlock only.. so why mention it here? There's some deets here if you're not sure.

Burgerman

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 3.0 Prem,
Your opinion. I'm not interested in taking the risk. Incase you've missed the current affairs, there is a "TINY" but of instability in the area of where you are sending the DME. And $500 in shipping costs for a $700 service is about a broken a system as there can be. So Screw Russia and their monopoly on the unlock.

Burgerman

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 3.0 Prem,
That “TINY” bit of instability is over 700 miles (1160 km) south of where my ECU was cloned in St. Petersburg. To put it better in perspective, Russia is a country approximately 1.7 to 1.8 time LARGER than the size of the US. It does have crime and political issues, but what country doesn’t. Just saying that it’s easy to say things that sound good without giving a fair and balanced perspective.
I got a free bench unlock thrown in and ordered an ECUTEK so I will be able to do custom flex fuel maps and other setting of MY choosing after my tuner is done doing his magic. This option will also let me do port injection which, to my understanding, is still not available with the current alternatives.
it’s not about money spent now, but money invested for performance upgrades in the future.
Do svidaniya comrade!

Last edited:

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
That “TINY” bit of instability is over 700 miles (1160 km) south of where my ECU was cloned in St. Petersburg. To put it better in perspective, Russia is a country approximately 1.7 to 1.8 time LARGER than the size of the US. It does have crime and political issues, but what country doesn’t. Just saying that it’s easy to say things that sound good without giving a fair and balanced perspective.
I got a free bench unlock thrown in and ordered an ECUTEK so I will be able to do custom flex fuel maps and other setting of MY choosing after my tuner is done doing his magic. This option will also let me do port injection which, to my understanding, is still not available with the current alternatives.
it’s not about money spent now, but money invested for performance upgrades in the future.
Do svidaniya comrade!
You are correct to say that only a DME clone enables integrations like flex fuel and port injection. These features are not available to the non-clone unlock, which only makes the calibration area (custom tune/map) available for writing.

Deighvid

First Name
Deighvid
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Premium
I have a 4/20 ECU and don't even need to be in this thread but can't stop following it because there's so much information lol.

GMsuperfan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 A91 Refraction, 68 Camaro SS, 17 GTI
Never gonna happen, and that's not their market. They don't give a fuck about tuners. And for good reason.

No, they need access to the second memory area, which isn't unlocked with the femto unlock. Only the calibration area of memory is unlocked.
Half done job? Sounds like a contractor i hired recently...... ?

GMsuperfan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 A91 Refraction, 68 Camaro SS, 17 GTI
Sounds like pretty much every contractor I've hired recently... These days I'm almost impressed if they finish only 2 weeks behind schedule and less than 20% over budget. :rolleyes:
Yeah, so we get to go through the process of suing the first one who wasn't licensed (as we later found out). Glad we caught it before they finished and it got really out of hand. I've learned a hard lesson with trust in the contractor industry, never trust the guys who are great at the sales pitch and tell you what you want to hear. The honest guys are the ones you want. I also wouldn't trust a couple of references....but, i'm scorn so.

Burgerman

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 3.0 Prem,
Umm, is there any expert on here that can ascertain whether or not my locked DME has to go to Russia? :cool:
Did you ever get an answer? My DME production date is post June 2020, so I sent it to Visconti to get it “cloned” (in Russia) to a a pre-June 2020 production DME. Now I have two, one for tuning (the clone), and the original that was sold with the car.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
Did you ever get an answer? My DME production date is post June 2020, so I sent it to Visconti to get it “cloned” (in Russia) to a a pre-June 2020 production DME. Now I have two, one for tuning (the clone), and the original that was sold with the car.
I'm not sure if this is a serious or tongue-in-cheek question, but:

ALL locked ECUs must go to Russia. It doesn't matter if you're doing a clone, or unlocking with Femto for a custom map. If you have a locked ECU, it's going to the bloc. If you're cloning, you'll get a pre-6/20 unit back for anything-goes tuning plus your original ECU. If you're just unlocking, you'll get your original ECU back that's unlocked for custom tune maps (but not special features like flex fuel).

OP
OP
zrk

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I'm not sure if this is a serious or tongue-in-cheek question, but:

ALL locked ECUs must go to Russia. It doesn't matter if you're doing a clone, or unlocking with Femto for a custom map. If you have a locked ECU, it's going to the bloc. If you're cloning, you'll get a pre-6/20 unit back for anything-goes tuning plus your original ECU. If you're just unlocking, you'll get your original ECU back that's unlocked for custom tune maps (but not special features like flex fuel).
If only there was a resource online dedicated to this exact issue.
Sponsored