[Modified] Crankshaft Sensor Codes after 25-30mins of Driving

Enwave

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra 3.0
Hey all --

I'm currently Ecutek tuned on an early batch 2020, 14k miles with about 1k on the tune with a very reputable tuner (don't wanna name so people don't incorrectly criticize since the problem seems completely unrelated to the tune and this tuner is AWESOME) on a flexfuel-only Reflex implementation (no PI for now). AA catted downpipe, CSF intake manifold, MST intake, Tomei single, just pretty basic bolt-ons except for the Reflex. Was on BM3 before the Ecutek tune for most of the first 13k miles.

The vehicle had been running great for a few of months on full E10-E50 range of flexfuel, then popped a boost leak that needed a new custom line from intake manifold to PCV. Got that done, drove it for about 100mi and things looked great again. I topped off some ethanol from our last station here in Utah that actually shut down a few days later (separate frustration) -- and after another 100mi of driving or so, I headed to get my rear PS4S swapped to ET Street S/S to hopefully regain some traction. About 30min into the drive, the vehicle started to lurch in stop and go traffic a bit a few times and then threw a few codes and went into limp mode (last code).

160020 - Crank shaft sensor: general loss of synchronization
160021 - Crankshaft sensor; Signal Implausible
21A127 - DFC_BMW_LHM_PROL_PWR_LIMD

Pulled up logs, cylinder misfire counter had incremented once for one cylinder. Pulled over, cleared codes, and tried to reproduce again, reproduced pretty quickly after that. My suspicion was that maybe that last batch of ethanol from the pump that shut down was waterlogged or bottom of the barrel stuff, so I actually drained the tank and replaced with pump, let it sit overnight after idling for a bit and tried again the next day just to see confirming that it was back down to E10/pump. Sure enough, 20-30mins later, same codes. Misfire was on a different cylinder each time. Cleared codes, tried to reproduce again, this time it was a really slow crank and eventually started, immediately throwing the codes with one more that I sadly didn't capture about the starter.

Decided to tow at that point, and let it sit in the garage for a few days while I spoke with a few people about the issue. Went to go start the car to try and reproduce the starter code, but it started perfectly and the codes had all self-cleared (which is pretty normal for these codes I think). Decided to take the car out to try and reproduce assuming that a single misfire wouldn't be a risk for any permanent damage. Drove around nearby surface streets/stop signs with no issue for almost exactly another 30mins, yet again a different cylinder misfire when the issue reoccurred.

I have reproduced two or three additional times, it's a 100% guaranteed issue at almost exactly 25-30mins. The car starts SUPER cleanly on cold start, but struggles some to start again after the codes are thrown until it cools down again. Have not seen the starter code pop up again.

I am curious if anyone has insight into this type of issue... or some pointers on where to look next. My thoughts:

1. It could just legit be a bad crankshaft sensor
  2. I have had the car go into battery management after not being driven for awhile and it is on the original battery, perhaps it is near end of life
  3. Alternator looks fine in logs pegged at 15, but perhaps the sample rate is too low on the logs and I'm getting noisy output from the voltage regulator causing the sensor to lose power temporarily or the battery just can't keep up after 20-30mins
  4. The reflex is on the turbo side of the bay, back where people put small meth tanks under the little cover by the cowl. Perhaps the crankshaft sensor wiring from the reflex over to the other side into the ECU is running too close to the block or seeing interference, it's possible the path changed or something got bumped when fixing the boost leak. I'm no expert electrician but the ECU tap looks great so I don't think it is that.

TIA for any insight from folks who are a little more technical than I am!
Sponsored

OP
OP
Enwave

Enwave

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra 3.0
Yeah reflex+, I updated it before installation. I’m away from home atm but I can share the serial number when I’m back later today. Was there a known issue with a batch of reflex boxes or something?

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Yeah reflex+, I updated it before installation. I’m away from home atm but I can share the serial number when I’m back later today. Was there a known issue with a batch of reflex boxes or something?
potentially. I guess we’ll find out. Usually it only affects built motors, or solid motor mount cars. But I’m interested now.

OP
OP
Enwave

Enwave

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra 3.0
That’s wild, I wouldn’t expect those factors to bother the reflex hardware. But sounds like I’d be an unlucky case since I’m not built and am on stock mounts. Should be able to post back w/serial in a couple of hours.

Reactions: zrk

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That’s wild, I wouldn’t expect those factors to bother the reflex hardware. But sounds like I’d be an unlucky case since I’m not built and am on stock mounts. Should be able to post back w/serial in a couple of hours.
I'm seriously refreshing this thread waiting your response lol

OP
OP
Enwave

Enwave

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra 3.0
If it is the silver sticker on the reflex itself, 001884

• Sad

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If it is the silver sticker on the reflex itself, 001884
Welp. Throw out that theory.

What's happening is definitely something with the crank signal wire. Either vibrating loose or not making a solid connection. This is incredibly annoying because that sensor is a huge pain in the dick to get to. It's on the driver's side of the block, in the middle of the flywheel.

You'll likely want to remove the harness and start tone testing with a multimeter. Electrical bugs are incredibly annoying. I'd start closest to the reflex and go from there.

Which harness do you have? Visconti? T-Tapped to the ECU? oh, it's T-tapped. You said that. I'd tone-test the wire and make sure you have a solid signal with no possibility of a short.

It's pretty unlikely that you have a bad crank sensor. Is the car ever hard to start/cranks way more than usual?

It's not battery or alternator related, and it's also doubtful that it's any interference. The signal from the crank sensor is 0-5v, it's not digital. The only interference you could get is a short/grounded signal wire.

OP
OP
Enwave

Enwave

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra 3.0
That’s super helpful info, thanks @zrk . The only time it struggles to start/crank is if I restart right after the codes are thrown and limp mode is triggered. Once it cools down back to cold start or close to it, it’s a super fast crank and start.

I think the failure reliably after 25-30min made me feel more skeptical of a short/ground or immediate wiring issue, but maybe also because I just didn’t want to dig through the harness and definitely didn’t want to dig back to the crankshaft sensor. I’ll suck it up put the big boy pants on and start testing when I’ve got time and report back.

OP
OP
Enwave

Enwave

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra 3.0
Update: shop pulled the t-tap on the crankshaft sensor wire and made a VERY secure connection haha. But the tap looked fine to them too. Drove well this time for about an hour but threw codes again after shutting down and starting up again a few mins later. This time was able to capture the starter code, 216119 - DFC_BMW_SDC_OL. Plus the usual crankshaft signal codes. Reflex side of the harness looked fine when I checked but we’ll see. They’ll be checking with Motiv on the box itself too. Fingers crossed…

Update 2: crank shaft sensor tested and dropping voltage at full heat. Harness and reflex test fine. New sensor on the way, fingers crossed that is it. Will post one more update confirming the fix just for posterity if that ends up being it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Enwave

Enwave

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra 3.0
Sensor replaced, connections tested, no dice. Swapping the reflex box tomorrow. The journey continues.

OP
OP
Enwave

Enwave

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra 3.0
Reflex box swapped and unable to reproduce any issues now. Problem is that it was just swapped with someone else's and they'll need it back haha, so now we've gotta reach out to Motiv probably through Visconti and see what we can do. Worst case I guess I just buy another.

@zrk I think the bad batch theory might actually be holding water despite being outside of the serial number range.

antonio88x

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium (mine), 2018 CX-5 GT (wife's)
Thanks for continuing to update this thread for future searches.

OP
OP
Enwave

Enwave

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra 3.0
For sure -- my biggest pet peeve with trouble like this is when you find your specific issue on the forums somewhere and OP disappeared without explaining. I'm shouting at a wall but maybe it'll help someone someday

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Reflex box swapped and unable to reproduce any issues now. Problem is that it was just swapped with someone else's and they'll need it back haha, so now we've gotta reach out to Motiv probably through Visconti and see what we can do. Worst case I guess I just buy another.

@zrk I think the bad batch theory might actually be holding water despite being outside of the serial number range.
That's really interesting...
Sponsored