My First real issue in 15k Miles. Failed Driveshaft Center Bearing

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
you think on my power level ill break axles zack? like if I were to take it to the strip and launch it on my 305 pilot super sports, 500 wheel hp/ 600 wheel tq. just e50 custom tune
Axles.. on those tires.. it’s possible. Unlikely but possible. On a stickier tire at those levels, yes.

Drive shaft? No.
Sponsored

OP
OP
NitroYellowMKV

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT
Axles.. on those tires.. it’s possible. Unlikely but possible. On a stickier tire at those levels, yes.

Drive shaft? No.
gonna make me scared to go to the track now lol. I really wanna get a 1/4 time off the street

Reactions: zrk

3TMagnetMan

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 premium
Well the day has finally come, I have dreaded the day I would have my first issue with the Supra and after 15,000 virtually trouble free miles, the night before the car was supposed to be unveiled at bmw invasion, I took it for a quick drive to fill up with 93 after running e50 for two tanks, and about 25 minutes into the drive, I take a corner and I hear what sounds like I just blew my tire or caught a flat... I check pressures and look at the tire and it is all good, I continue driving for about another minute before I take another turn into my community and exact same thing. And then another, and another, at this point I am seriosuly concerned and think my diff or axles have taken a sh*t but then I accelerate a little and the noise comes back, but this time in a straight line, and then for the next 2-3 minutes driving to my house it becomes more frequent every time they car is above 25% throttle. I park the car and jack it up, check axles, looks solid, diff is not in a million pieces. I park my wounded child and proceed to spend 8 hours with roadside from 10pm to 5 in the morning miserably failing to get a flat bed out, they sent two t arms but that clearly was never going to work. I accept defeat and that the car will not be making it to BMW invasion and call it a night, text my tech it'll be there Monday and go on about my weekend. Instead we take my buddies m4 to invasion, except less than an hour away we stop and he managed to drop his keys into the ocean from a dock. Oh well. Cleary it was not meant to be...

Come today, the car gets flat bedded in the morning to my local dealer who is awesome by the way. Joel the main supra tech at Toyota North Miami is an absolute goat. We get the car on the lift, and even before removing the exhaust to remove the heat shield, we see it is already damaged with a hole in it. We drop the exhaust and remove the heat shield to find what I had already been 99.99% sure was the culprit, only because my good buddy with an m340 called me the same night telling me this is the 2nd time he had replaced this piece. The rubber center support bearing had absolutely been disintegrated and the driveshaft was like throwing a hotdog down a hallway ( I know this joke is being used in the incorrect context but you get my point) I reached out to my local chat and it seems that only one person has had this issue before, but many at much higher power levels than me have not experienced this. Pure 800, meth and PI cars etc. It seems that the guibo and U joints followed by axles are the points in the drivetrain that will fail at higher power levels but never this center support bearing. Dealer confirmed it saying they have never had this issue and have seen much higher horsepower cars come in for guibo issues and even axles but never this. They told me it was probably defective from new, I see how this may be possible as for the last 8k or so miles, I have noticed a slight vibration when WOT over 100, I figured this was my exhaust or something making a slight vibration but thinking back, I feel like it has gotten worse over time. The only change in the last week was the installing of some fresh 305's which makes the car hook like a beast, and I think that extra load and pressure was what finally took it out, as prior to that I would spin through 4th on e50. I can not find an aftermarket part for this piece anywhere so I really am hoping this was a one time thing as I do not plan to make the car any faster and don't plan on a one piece custom driveshaft. Luckily my dealer is replacing the whole driveshaft under warranty, unluckily this part is back ordered to all eternity and who the hell knows when it'll arrive. I was given a the slim time frame of a week to 6 months, love that for me.

Hopefully it is on the sooner side but just wanted to write this thread as a PSA for anyone else who ever comes upon this issue or whatnot. If anyone has a better solution to this please feel free to share, or if you just want to argue in the threads over BM3 MHD or ECUTEK you can do that too, or the Fetmo unlock, I don't care just say something to make me feel again... jokes... I think. If you feel bad for me, consider selling me your OEM downpipe, buying an aftermarket one, or ordering a custom steering wheel. So I can make money to mod my jeep to make it more fun for the time being. Photos attached for your viewing pleasure below.

Best,
Phillip
Nitromkv

IMG_2758.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 9.05.52 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 9.06.04 PM.png
Screen Shot 2022-02-21 at 9.05.33 PM.png
Well the day has finally come, I have dreaded the day I would have my first issue with the Supra and after 15,000 virtually trouble free miles, the night before the car was supposed to be unveiled at bmw invasion, I took it for a quick drive to fill up with 93 after running e50 for two tanks, and about 25 minutes into the drive, I take a corner and I hear what sounds like I just blew my tire or caught a flat... I check pressures and look at the tire and it is all good, I continue driving for about another minute before I take another turn into my community and exact same thing. And then another, and another, at this point I am seriosuly concerned and think my diff or axles have taken a sh*t but then I accelerate a little and the noise comes back, but this time in a straight line, and then for the next 2-3 minutes driving to my house it becomes more frequent every time they car is above 25% throttle. I park the car and jack it up, check axles, looks solid, diff is not in a million pieces. I park my wounded child and proceed to spend 8 hours with roadside from 10pm to 5 in the morning miserably failing to get a flat bed out, they sent two t arms but that clearly was never going to work. I accept defeat and that the car will not be making it to BMW invasion and call it a night, text my tech it'll be there Monday and go on about my weekend. Instead we take my buddies m4 to invasion, except less than an hour away we stop and he managed to drop his keys into the ocean from a dock. Oh well. Cleary it was not meant to be...

Come today, the car gets flat bedded in the morning to my local dealer who is awesome by the way. Joel the main supra tech at Toyota North Miami is an absolute goat. We get the car on the lift, and even before removing the exhaust to remove the heat shield, we see it is already damaged with a hole in it. We drop the exhaust and remove the heat shield to find what I had already been 99.99% sure was the culprit, only because my good buddy with an m340 called me the same night telling me this is the 2nd time he had replaced this piece. The rubber center support bearing had absolutely been disintegrated and the driveshaft was like throwing a hotdog down a hallway ( I know this joke is being used in the incorrect context but you get my point) I reached out to my local chat and it seems that only one person has had this issue before, but many at much higher power levels than me have not experienced this. Pure 800, meth and PI cars etc. It seems that the guibo and U joints followed by axles are the points in the drivetrain that will fail at higher power levels but never this center support bearing. Dealer confirmed it saying they have never had this issue and have seen much higher horsepower cars come in for guibo issues and even axles but never this. They told me it was probably defective from new, I see how this may be possible as for the last 8k or so miles, I have noticed a slight vibration when WOT over 100, I figured this was my exhaust or something making a slight vibration but thinking back, I feel like it has gotten worse over time. The only change in the last week was the installing of some fresh 305's which makes the car hook like a beast, and I think that extra load and pressure was what finally took it out, as prior to that I would spin through 4th on e50. I can not find an aftermarket part for this piece anywhere so I really am hoping this was a one time thing as I do not plan to make the car any faster and don't plan on a one piece custom driveshaft. Luckily my dealer is replacing the whole driveshaft under warranty, unluckily this part is back ordered to all eternity and who the hell knows when it'll arrive. I was given a the slim time frame of a week to 6 months, love that for me.

Hopefully it is on the sooner side but just wanted to write this thread as a PSA for anyone else who ever comes upon this issue or whatnot. If anyone has a better solution to this please feel free to share, or if you just want to argue in the threads over BM3 MHD or ECUTEK you can do that too, or the Fetmo unlock, I don't care just say something to make me feel again... jokes... I think. If you feel bad for me, consider selling me your OEM downpipe, buying an aftermarket one, or ordering a custom steering wheel. So I can make money to mod my jeep to make it more fun for the time being. Photos attached for your viewing pleasure below.

Best,
Phillip
Nitromkv

IMG_2758.jpg

Why does that part look fragile ??

OP
OP
NitroYellowMKV

NitroYellowMKV

Silver Sponsor
First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Burnout A91 MT

22SuprahhMKV

First Name
Albert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium

Best,
Phillip
Nitromkv

IMG_2758.jpg
Something very similar happened to my car while driving it stock. The dealership told me there was some missing bolts. Also told me many new Supras has defects, missing bolts causing issues. I've had so many issues with the car the first 11k miles that Toyota is now buying back the car. Which is crazy to me.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Something very similar happened to my car while driving it stock. The dealership told me there was some missing bolts. Also told me many new Supras has defects, missing bolts causing issues. I've had so many issues with the car the first 11k miles that Toyota is now buying back the car. Which is crazy to me.
Can you list all the problems for reference here?

-RJM

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Sorry to hear, dude. On the bright side, every day I'm reminded to keep my car at stock HP levels. I appreciate the reminder.
😂
Sponsored