OP
nibble

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
did you break any clips on the process?
i worked on it very slowly and did not break any. i did lose 2 paddings around clips because I didn't know where those came from at the time. if you work in moderately warm temperature and work on it slowly, it should be fine.
Sponsored

Phantom Grey Supra

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Christopher
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019’ Yamaha R1m —2020 F450—2021 Supra 3.0 —1999 silverado 4x4–1997 Husqvarna CR250– 2012 VW Jetta GLI TDI conversion
Is this a whole car wrap or just the door garnish? It looks just like the phantom grey paint from factory. Looks amazing!

OP
OP
nibble

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
Is this a whole car wrap or just the door garnish? It looks just like the phantom grey paint from factory. Looks amazing!
thanks! my Original plan was full phantom Matte Grey Wrap but I changed to a bit more brownish tone. So it's pewter now. ;)

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra Absolute Zero Premium
Love the A91 stripes.

I've been looking for a template of them to do them in gunmetal metallic to match my powder coated wheels.

OP
OP
nibble

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
Love the A91 stripes.

I've been looking for a template of them to do them in gunmetal metallic to match my powder coated wheels.

Gun metal PC'd wheel looks very nice! I was thinking of posting DIY on it but it is quite simple so I didn't.. basically need 4" wide vinyl and knifeless tape. See my DIY for tail light for using knifeless tape.

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Cool, thank you! Now to find a color-matched vinyl...

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
That's very close! I'm looking for glossy to match the finish of the wheels. I'm going to poke around Amazon for their 3"x5" samples and order some from Avery, 3M and Vvivid+. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
nibble

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
20201028_154158.jpg
20201028_164453.jpg

Added few Cusco Items.

Power Frame Brace was super easy. only thing that took time for me on this was, deciding which bolts to use, supplied hex bolts or OEM bolts. HEX bolts looked really nice but if anything goes wrong, it would be pain to get it off or worst case, drilling it out is only option. Real deciding factor was I just didn't have tool to torque the HEX bolts. So took it all out and replaced it with OEM bolts and torque them as specified. Compared to OEM, this feels much sturdier and less flimsy.

Front sway bar was also easy. taking the cover off was harder than replacing the bar itself. Initially, I started to loosen nuts on end but I felt tension so I stopped and loosen the nuts in mounting braces. That worked much better. Compared to OEM, it is much heavier and thicker.

20201028_161942.jpg

Impression... OMG!! IT MADE WORLD OF DIFFERENCE! THIS IS A MUST DO!! WOW!!

No... Just drove about 15 miles on the highway with slight bend and some local street.. perhaps I'm insensitive but I did not feel a lot of difference on the streets and highway. Felt a bit stiffer in suspension when going over bump on one wheel and does provided less roll although it wasn't enough to say "WOW!". Then again, this is on public road. Real testing will be done at track. Specifically turn 3&4 of NJMP lightning as I wanted to do this to stop body roll while taking those turns. To be tested..

I still need to to rear sway bar but I'm not sure how to lower subframe to do the job... :(

OP
OP
nibble

nibble

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW, Honda, Toyota
This is my impression on Cusco front sway bar.

I wanted to install both, front and back, but a shop quoted me over $200 for $300 rear sway bar so I wasn't able to install it until I have a good plan and tools to do it. However, this also gave me an opportunity to test just /w front sway bar. The characteristic I tried to adjust was rolling condition specifically under the chicane where track turns right and quickly to left like NJMP lightening T3/T4 sequence. Because car was rolling to so much to left on T3 (right turn) waiting for it to settle to neutral position to make left turn (T4) was causing loss of time. This particular set of turns, I think I was going faster /w much less powered S2000. This issue can also be fixed /w coil-over or much more expensive suspension tuning. However, I haven't found any coil-over or strut/shock/spring that I liked. So I'm gave a try with Cusco sway bar.

Sway bar certainly gave stiffer feeling on road and track even with stock shock/spring. Specifically when going over a bump on one side. I'm not sure if it will get soften as I drive more but it was so stiff that when I was going over 2nd level of rumble-strip on inside T1 on Lightening, car will unsettle much more than when it had stock sway bar. I was able to get around it by just getting on to 1st level of the rumble-strip which I'd lose about a foot inside from apex. On T3 & 4, car was behaving much better and as expected, it had less roll and I was able to quickly change direction without having to wait for car to return to neutral position. However, because rear sway bar is soft, It felt like rear is unloaded in some way and about to lose control. It wasn't uncontrollable, but it did feel unsettled.

Over all, I think I'm in right direction and will need to install rear sway bar as well eventually. So my recommendation is, if you are going to replace sway bar, Do Front & Rear. I will have another review after having rear sway bar installed.

BA9092

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This is my impression on Cusco front sway bar.

I wanted to install both, front and back, but a shop quoted me over $200 for $300 rear sway bar so I wasn't able to install it until I have a good plan and tools to do it. However, this also gave me an opportunity to test just /w front sway bar. The characteristic I tried to adjust was rolling condition specifically under the chicane where track turns right and quickly to left like NJMP lightening T3/T4 sequence. Because car was rolling to so much to left on T3 (right turn) waiting for it to settle to neutral position to make left turn (T4) was causing loss of time. This particular set of turns, I think I was going faster /w much less powered S2000. This issue can also be fixed /w coil-over or much more expensive suspension tuning. However, I haven't found any coil-over or strut/shock/spring that I liked. So I'm gave a try with Cusco sway bar.

Sway bar certainly gave stiffer feeling on road and track even with stock shock/spring. Specifically when going over a bump on one side. I'm not sure if it will get soften as I drive more but it was so stiff that when I was going over 2nd level of rumble-strip on inside T1 on Lightening, car will unsettle much more than when it had stock sway bar. I was able to get around it by just getting on to 1st level of the rumble-strip which I'd lose about a foot inside from apex. On T3 & 4, car was behaving much better and as expected, it had less roll and I was able to quickly change direction without having to wait for car to return to neutral position. However, because rear sway bar is soft, It felt like rear is unloaded in some way and about to lose control. It wasn't uncontrollable, but it did feel unsettled.

Over all, I think I'm in right direction and will need to install rear sway bar as well eventually. So my recommendation is, if you are going to replace sway bar, Do Front & Rear. I will have another review after having rear sway bar installed.
Love the build!

I've installed the adjustable aFe front sway bar this past week. Have only gone for a couple of short drives, but it does feel slightly better.

I took advice from the performance shop that did my alignment and ordered the adjustable one from aFe. They have an LE model which they've tracked all year long. They've upgraded nearly all the suspension components which are available for the A90 currently. I asked the shop manager and driver what he thought about the Supra. He said he really didn't see a great improvement on the OEM chassis and handling after spending thousands on it and that the car is already very good from the factory. He did recommend that even for just street driving that I upgrade the front sway bar first and foremost.

He's currently on the softest (134% stiffer than stock) setting on the front bar with the OEM rear bar. He plans on getting the rear bar but only then changing the front to the second (163% stiffer) or third (195% stiffer) setting.

Considering the Cusco only comes in one setting - 194% stiffer than stock - it would make sense to add a rear bar as well as that's the equivalent to the stiffest setting on the aFe adjustable bar.

However, you'll probably reap the benefits on the track way more than on the street. I have no short-term future plans to track mine, nor do I plan on doing the rear bar, so I went with a milder adjustable setup.

Looking forward to more updates! :thumbsup:
Sponsored