My take on automatic transmission on Supra MKV.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
That rating takes so many factors into consideration, longevity, feel, heat etc etc etc. So much more than just maximum torque capacity.

FWIW the V160 is rated at 450Nm input torque.
Sponsored

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I am a MT guy myself and continue to be and I bought the Supra more for its shape to decorate my garage. I hated DSG (VW) and all other planetary AT and CVT's, but for some reason I like the ZF. Also with the combination of the exciting exhaust note from my 2020, and just being a special 2 seater added to the fun of ownership.

I learned to like the ZF8AT. I drive her 100% in manual mode and I even assist a little blip while downshifting gears under 5th as the pedal position is excellent for heel and toe for a completely seamless downshift. So that keeps me entertained as well.

I wouldn't have the Supra any other way. This is the first AT car I actually like.

Pinrut

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Honda Clarity Hybrid, 2020 Supra Premium Nocturnal
I'm also coming from a long series of MT and was worried about the AT only Supra, but since it's my DD and I wind up stuck in traffic a lot, the ACC and auto modes are great.

The ZF 8HP is nothing like the horrible auto slush boxes that many other cars have. It's crisp in sport mode, and smooth in comfort mode. In manual mode you can bounce off the Rev limiter if you want to.

While this car isn't nearly as hard edged as my s2000 was, I also am glad my organs aren't getting bruised over every small imperfection in the road anymore.

The Supra is technically a luxury sports grand tourer and it does that so well. I love this car. My only debate internally now is whether to modify it a little bit... Exhaust?? Pipes?? Light tune?? It sounds great but could be even better....