Need Advice!

Toshi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Nitro Yellow
So I'm going down to the Toyota dealership tomorrow to order a 2021 3.0 Premium in the color I want since there are none in my state. This will be my first new car buying experience so I have a few questions and probably some dumb questions too.

So do I have any price negotiation power when special ordering one from the factory? I will also be financing through my bank instead of Toyota financing so i'm sure that will hurt my negotiation power since they won't be making money on that.

MSRP from the car I'm going to build is going to be around 57k before taxes.... is there any chance of me getting that down by a good chunk? What is the invoice price on these cars?

Thanks!
Sponsored

DaBear723

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
So I'm going down to the Toyota dealership tomorrow to order a 2021 3.0 Premium in the color I want since there are none in my state. This will be my first new car buying experience so I have a few questions and probably some dumb questions too.

So do I have any price negotiation power when special ordering one from the factory? I will also be financing through my bank instead of Toyota financing so i'm sure that will hurt my negotiation power since they won't be making money on that.

MSRP from the car I'm going to build is going to be around 57k before taxes.... is there any chance of me getting that down by a good chunk? What is the invoice price on these cars?

Thanks!
I used to sell cars a long time ago so things may have changed but if you are ordering your car to your specs you will be paying for every bit of it at MSRP and above depending on options. Road trip to another state would prob save you thousands and save you the wait time. Besides the road trip back with the Supra is awesome if you love getting attention everywhere you go. I had to drive 10+ to get mine round trip and it was worth it.

OP
OP
Toshi

Toshi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Nitro Yellow
I used to sell cars a long time ago so things may have changed but if you are ordering your car to your specs you will be paying for every bit of it at MSRP and above depending on options. Road trip to another state would prob save you thousands and save you the wait time. Besides the road trip back with the Supra is awesome if you love getting attention everywhere you go. I had to drive 10+ to get mine round trip and it was worth it.
That is a good idea what about dealership incentives though? The local dealership has a free 200k miles/20 year powertrain warranty on top of the manufacture warranty + free oil changes for life and 25k miles of no cost maintenance. That sounds pretty good?

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I tend to stay away from free oil changes the dealer provides as it usually includes bonus scratches, free car wash swirl marks, and oil stains.

As for using your institution vs Toyota Financial, dealer does not usually care. GL with your purchase.

strohw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 X3M, 2009 987.2, 2021 Supra
Does the dealer you're going to even have allocations left for a 2021? Next, don't limit yourself to your state because you can't find a color. Unless that color is Phantom, you can find all the other colors at good discounts and shipping is not that expensive. Finally, if you plan on ordering then it's time to start call dealers near you and the next state over. Just because your local dealer doesn't give any discounts for ordering doesn't mean another one won't give you 4% off.

DaBear723

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra
That is a good idea what about dealership incentives though? The local dealership has a free 200k miles/20 year powertrain warranty on top of the manufacture warranty + free oil changes for life and 25k miles of no cost maintenance. That sounds pretty good?
That would all depend on the dealership to honor the "freebies" so I couldn't answer for sure, so any local incentives would go through that dealership. If it is through Toyota then it would be honored anywhere. If you plan on modding the car at all (which most of us here do myself included) you might as well not worry about warranty, of course depending what you are gonna have done. Whatever you choose to do, GL and you will have a blast with the car!

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
All very sound advice given. I would not let the dealership freebies be the deciding factor. The $5-6K saved by going out of state will put money in your pocket today. Also what are the chances you’re going to put 200k miles on the car? Probably slim to none.

-RJM

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
OP, where are you? Folks might have specific experience and advice.

GenericUser1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Prem. Yelllow, 2017 BMW R9T Classic
I'd get one shipped from out of state. MD dealers are giving $6-7k off easy on 3.0 premium 2021 models. I can DM you the name/num of my salesman. No way would I pay MSRP. Also I have ordered cars before and you can certainly haggle over price.

spta97

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2020 BMW X3MC
I'd get one shipped from out of state. MD dealers are giving $6-7k off easy on 3.0 premium 2021 models. I can DM you the name/num of my salesman. No way would I pay MSRP. Also I have ordered cars before and you can certainly haggle over price.
Agreed. Dealers in my area were asking 10% - 15% OVER sticker price for Supras on their lot for almost a year.

We negotiated 9% off the MSRP at a local dealer who had one on the lot but would have gone out of state if we got a better deal. Research percentage discount rather than dollars - that way you can figure how much you can aim for on your particular build.

I was able to get a good discount on my order of an X3MC at the end of 2019 as well so ordering should not stop you from negotiating if you go that route.

The initial stampede to get Supras quickly died down but some dealers are still holding onto that. It's hard to make that argument when many have been sitting gathering dust. That's the approach I used - it costs dealers money to keep a car on the lot.

Approach this without emotion and figure in any transportation costs if you do buy out of state. Don't fall for scare tactics employed by sales people.

Realygoofyguy

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra Premium, 2021 Tacoma TRD Off Road,
I manage a car dealership, as far as getting the color you want you are probably better off going with a car in stock out of state, there is about 12% mark up in these cars total, with below the line money, holdback, ad money, etc. Then there should be factory incentives on top of that. I'm not saying you can get all of that, chances are you won't, but that gives you a baseline. Unfortunately I'm not with Toyota anymore, or I get could get more specific with you. When I was there, we shipped the majority of our Supras to other states, they don't seem like they are super popular in WI

Sigg

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Mk5,Supra 2018 KTM SuperDuke, 21 sienna plat
There are four available at my local dealer all 21s. Bet they'd sell you one
Sponsored