First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone,

I have the 2020 supra in white and it's the first wave that came in. This past year has been a headache with my supra. I have probably bought the supra to the dealership about 20 times and a lot of it is software issues. I even had the corporate guys come down to inspect the car. It has ranged from the infotainment system going black , but the lcd panel is still lit; along with the instrument cluster. That hasn't been resolved.

Second, would be the auto start stop feature gets over ridden while in normal mode. If you park the car and press on the break to put in park, the car does a hard shut off, instead of being idle. Still not resolved, but I keep it in sport to prevent it from happening.

Third, is the sport mode not working properly and it somehow drives as normal mode. It occurs sporadically. I have bought the car in 4 times about this issue and even had a diagnostic done and nothing comes up! I can tell some what when it's about to have from the sound of the exhaust and suspension. That issues hasn't been resolved.

Now a new problem that just happened today. The HUD doesn't work properly. It wasn't working when I went out for a drive and I had to drive straight to the dealership to get it looked at. I tried turning it off and on manually, turning off the car and nothing.

The service guy looks at it and then it turns on, but now there are graphic issues with it when it's displayed with some weird animation glitch and overlay. I'll put up a video on what it looks like. I am tired of this sh*#t and I am considering using the lemon law to get a different gen. What should I do and has anyone been through issues?

20201024_132247_1_1_1_1.gif

VideoCapture_20201024-142845.jpg
Sponsored

antonio88x

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium (mine), 2018 CX-5 GT (wife's)
Dang, if its been back to the dealership that many times, I'd think about pursuing a buy back or lemon law. That would be too much frustration for me.

OP
OP
Jay2004

Jay2004

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Dang, if its been back to the dealership that many times, I'd think about pursuing a buy back or lemon law. That would be too much frustration for me.
I am giving it one last try. I am going to have the Eccu-tech tune done. Hopefully with the complete reflash and tune, it will eliminate any stupid coding problems that toyota and bmw can't figure out.

Suggs.OR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nocturnal 2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I am giving it one last try. I am going to have the Eccu-tech tune done. Hopefully with the complete reflash and tune, it will eliminate any stupid coding problems that toyota and bmw can't figure out.
Why would you have the car tuned? I have zero legal knowledge in this but I would do you think would happen if you tune the car, it doesnt fix what ever issue your car has electronically, and then Toyota fights the buy back because youve tuned your car and unlocked your ECU? Could they claim they cant figure out the issue and deny more warranty fixes?

OP
OP
Jay2004

Jay2004

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Why would you have the car tuned? I have zero legal knowledge in this but I would do you think would happen if you tune the car, it doesnt fix what ever issue your car has electronically, and then Toyota fights the buy back because youve tuned your car and unlocked your ECU? Could they claim they cant figure out the issue and deny more warranty fixes?
If I tune the car, it's should fix one of the problems which I have after a cold start. The car would sputter and bog down till it's almost about to die.

The ECU can be looked at. I know that one of the codes is a mess for auto start stop. I had talked to the toyota corp engineer when there was a full diagnostic of my car. He confirmed that the auto start stop (even though it off) does over ride the functions.

OP
OP
Jay2004

Jay2004

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
If I tune the car, it's should fix one of the problems which I have after a cold start. The car would sputter and bog down till it's almost about to die.

The ECU can be looked at. I know that one of the codes is a mess for auto start stop. I had talked to the toyota corp engineer when there was a full diagnostic of my car. He confirmed that the auto start stop (even though it off) does over ride the functions.
Toyota is still waiting for a massive software update, but I don't think it will come to the 2020. It's already in the 21's.

The ECU tuned can shut off some of those feature. Hopefully I can see what else I can find. As for warranty, the ECU can be re-flashed back to stock as long as you have the stock file.

So far, toyota ignoring customers about it.

antonio88x

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium (mine), 2018 CX-5 GT (wife's)
I definitely wouldn't do a flash tune. I think your car has some more issues that a tune won't fix. The HUD issue won't be fixed with a tune. You can code the car to have it remember the auto start/stop. But I wouldn't do a full re-flash tune. Seems they're going to have to buy the car back from you. Another owner on here had the same issue as you and they changed the ECU and a few other things before taking the car back. If you tune, you run the risk of being denied warranty and being stuck with a faulty car.

30MilesOffshore

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
That totally sucks that you have to go through all that mess. I bet the tech guys cringe when they see your car on the appointment book. As far as the tune, it only sounds like they will just be tuning a lemon. Throwing a tune on there is what they want you to do so they can walk away from you and leave you with the lemon.

Better off doing a buy back/lemon trade-in/or any other type of deal where you are the one walking away and leaving the lemon with them. Your going to end up with more headaches down the road by tuning an ill performing car. That's like giving an asthmatic person an energy drink and then putting them in a marathon.

OP
OP
Jay2004

Jay2004

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
I will look into seeing about a new ecu or something. I hate dealing with toyota and stupid sh#*t like this. I had a car from toyota years ago that was a lemon and I tried taking to court, but they showed up with 10 lawyers against 1. I'm trying not to deal with it again. Thanks to everyone for giving me input.

KillxPoint

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Tacoma 2020 Supra!
Vehicle Showcase
Toyota just offered to buy my car back. Had a new ECU and it didnt fix my issue with my rev power problems. I also had the wiper twitch and my display screen twitch left and right. I had the same ecu and software that are in the 2021s and my car was a 20. I wouldnt tune your car because they will void that warranty. Im personally going to wait till the last model year and hope they worked all the bugs out before i buy another supra. Check my channel out and my vids of what my car was doing.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkwbRHWIY_R0_32jXCKuedw

OP
OP
Jay2004

Jay2004

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium
Vehicle Showcase
Toyota just offered to buy my car back. Had a new ECU and it didnt fix my issue with my rev power problems. I also had the wiper twitch and my display screen twitch left and right. I had the same ecu and software that are in the 2021s and my car was a 20. I wouldnt tune your car because they will void that warranty. Im personally going to wait till the last model year and hope they worked all the bugs out before i buy another supra. Check my channel out and my vids of what my car was doing.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkwbRHWIY_R0_32jXCKuedw
Thanks. I will take a look.
Sponsored