New Car - Got Questions

consultadrone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Sorry, my understanding is the engine should shut off after door is opened. No?
No, the engine will very much stay running just like any car. The "shutdown" in this case is the shutdown of the electronics (gauges, display, etc). If not set (or if you open the door before shutting down the engine for instance), they will all stay on and active until you hold the power/volume button down for a few seconds. Many threads on the forum around this and how it can affect the battery, etc
Sponsored

OP
OP
Matthewstorm

Matthewstorm

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium w/Carbon Fiber.
OK, so my car is absolutely, definitely shutting off by itself. It happened again today. Pulled up in front of the house and ran inside. About 30 feet away. Came back to the car and it had shut off. Like, the engine was off. Has this happened to no one else?

cte21

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
OK, so my car is absolutely, definitely shutting off by itself. It happened again today. Pulled up in front of the house and ran inside. About 30 feet away. Came back to the car and it had shut off. Like, the engine was off. Has this happened to no one else?
Was your driving mode set to normal (default) or sport? In normal mode, the auto stop/start is active by default, so the car may have shut off the engine because of that, particularly if it had been running for a while before you exited the car. I have turned my car on and left it running, prior to driving, to go back into the house for something and it was still running when i came back to it.

OP
OP
Matthewstorm

Matthewstorm

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Driving mode was Sport. But this is not the auto start/stop. The car had shut down. I had to restart the car in order to shift into reverse.

cte21

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2023 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Driving mode was Sport. But this is not the auto start/stop. The car had shut down. I had to restart the car in order to shift into reverse.
Yeah, it definitely wouldn't be stop/start if you were in sport mode. Interesting issue. Did you lock the car when you exited as well? I'm wondering if there's some sort of "it makes sense only to a BMW engineer because of EU emissions rules" where the car automatically shuts off after a certain length of time if the car is in park, the doors are locked, and the car does not detect an occupant. I realize that sounds illogical, but this is the same car where turning the engine off does not also power off all the electronics/accessories...

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Was the key still in the car?

OP
OP
Matthewstorm

Matthewstorm

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah, it definitely wouldn't be stop/start if you were in sport mode. Interesting issue. Did you lock the car when you exited as well? I'm wondering if there's some sort of "it makes sense only to a BMW engineer because of EU emissions rules" where the car automatically shuts off after a certain length of time if the car is in park, the doors are locked, and the car does not detect an occupant. I realize that sounds illogical, but this is the same car where turning the engine off does not also power off all the electronics/accessories...
The car was not locked. I was only gone about 20 seconds.

OP
OP
Matthewstorm

Matthewstorm

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I can't find this anywhere in the manual.

consultadrone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
That’s why it shut off. Key was no longer detected in the car.
Yeah, I don’t think that’s it. I leave my car running with my wife in it while I go pick up food from whatever place we’ve ordered from and always leave with the key. It barks that it can’t detect the key but it stays running.

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Yeah, I don’t think that’s it. I leave my car running with my wife in it while I go pick up food from whatever place we’ve ordered from and always leave with the key. It barks that it can’t detect the key but it stays running.
Hmm… wonder if there still being a person in the car makes the difference.

Reactions: zrk

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Hmm… wonder if there still being a person in the car makes the difference.
It does. Same electronic setup as if you were waiting for the lock. The sensor in the seat and seatbelt mechanism prevent the car from turning off.

OP
OP
Matthewstorm

Matthewstorm

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I can't believe this hasn't happened to anyone else. P
Sponsored