New pistons and rings sub 20k

FnkDrSpok

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra Prem
So that's where we are, Toyota just told me that I need new pistons and rings and I'm still under 20k miles on the car. I was dealing with the oil consumption issue so they advised an oil consumption test. Results were, down 2 quarts after 2500 miles. Their prognosis, new pistons and rings. Sound about right?
Sponsored

FuzzyRev

First Name
RT
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 MT "ordered", 19 Yaris MT, 03 Yukon XL
Yeah, that sounds about right in regards to the oil consumption. Hopefully all goes well with the repair and the parts aren't too hard for them to acquire.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
So that's where we are, Toyota just told me that I need new pistons and rings and I'm still under 20k miles on the car. I was dealing with the oil consumption issue so they advised an oil consumption test. Results were, down 2 quarts after 2500 miles. Their prognosis, new pistons and rings. Sound about right?
One forum member claimed to have scoring on the cylinders after they ran low on oil. But most of us burn some oil, itā€™s even more when you first break the car in.

Id try putting in some thicker oil and ride it out from there, assuming you canā€™t / donā€™t want to go through the warranty process

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
One forum member claimed to have scoring on the cylinders after they ran low on oil. But most of us burn some oil, itā€™s even more when you first break the car in.

Id try putting in some thicker oil and ride it out from there, assuming you canā€™t / donā€™t want to go through the warranty process
Thatā€™s me. I went through an exact same service and troubleshooting as OP. Once they rebuilt my engine for pistons and rings, it started smoking oil and flooding Cly 6 after 200 miles.

Then I waited 3 months for a new B58 long block. Now after a full replacement, I donā€™t burn any more oil, and seemingly make more power than before.

OP
OP
FnkDrSpok

FnkDrSpok

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra Prem
Thatā€™s me. I went through an exact same service and troubleshooting as OP. Once they rebuilt my engine for pistons and rings, it started smoking oil and flooding Cly 6 after 200 miles.

Then I waited 3 months for a new B58 long block. Now after a full replacement, I donā€™t burn any more oil, and seemingly make more power than before.
Full replacement? Full engine replacement? I'm totally ok with that, just want to know what I'm in for and how long I will be down. Luckily it will be winter soon and it will be garaged.

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Full replacement? Full engine replacement? I'm totally ok with that, just want to know what I'm in for and how long I will be down. Luckily it will be winter soon and it will be garaged.
Not full engine, but fully assembled long block replaced. The messed up block went back to Toyota for rebuild, I got a brand new 2023 block.

Let them do the work, but beat the PISS out of the engine after. Donā€™t listen to advice on break-in. It will likely fail, then you will need to park it for up to six months as you wait for a new long block if you manage to make the rebuilt engine fail.

My service ticket shows $18k in parts cost only. No techs were paid for labor due to the nature of the repair being blamed on the tech who rebuilt the engine.

OP
OP
FnkDrSpok

FnkDrSpok

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra Prem
Not full engine, but fully assembled long block replaced. The messed up block went back to Toyota for rebuild, I got a brand new 2023 block.

Let them do the work, but beat the PISS out of the engine after. Donā€™t listen to advice on break-in. It will likely fail, then you will need to park it for up to six months as you wait for a new long block if you manage to make the rebuilt engine fail.

My service ticket shows $18k in parts cost only. No techs were paid for labor due to the nature of the repair being blamed on the tech who rebuilt the engine.
Youch! Poor guy. To avoid the down time, what would you recommend I suggest to them? Just order the block now? Do you have a case number you could give me so they can use it maybe as reference?

dzeleski

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2017 Tacoma

I understand the sentiment here but do not abuse the engine. Let it warm up fully. Use the full range of the revs and engine brake in manual mode everywhere. Try and avoid any highway driving for the first few miles, as well as idling. Hard pulls with hard engine braking is the goal for the first handful of miles.

The issue with replacing just the rings and pistons is that the cylinder bore may not have good cross hatching or is glazed from significant oil blow by. New rings are not fixing that. I would personally borescope the engine and look at the walls of the cylinder. If they look polished or glazed new rings arent fixing it.

Last edited:

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
I understand the sentiment here but do not abuse the engine. Let it warm up fully. Use the full range of the revs and engine brake in manual mode everywhere. Try and avoid any highway driving for the first few miles, as well as idling. Hard pulls with hard engine braking is the goal for the first handful of miles.

The issue with replacing just the rings and pistons is that the cylinder bore may not have good cross hatching or is glazed from significant oil blow by. New rings are not fixing that. I would personally borescope the engine and look at the walls of the cylinder. If they look polished or glazed new rings are fixing it.
problems were related to scoring of the Cly walls, dealership opted to rebuild anyway. I never ran it WOT from a cold start, but the engine was destined to fail anyway.

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Youch! Poor guy. To avoid the down time, what would you recommend I suggest to them? Just order the block now? Do you have a case number you could give me so they can use it maybe as reference?
No avoiding the downtime. They wonā€™t order the block ahead of time. Your engine must fail completely like mine.

of course you could always just sell it for another Supra, maybe a 2020 that could be tuned and more bulletproof lol

Iā€™m not going to be too specific or give a case number due to privacy reasons. Already had someone threaten to call my dealership before and try and get them to deny my warranty due to my postings here.

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
So basically FML for a bit. Great, thanks.
Yeah Iā€™m really sorry. Looking backwards I wouldnā€™t change a thing. Am also exploring a diminished value suit with Toyota corporate so I can try and recoup some of the money I spent on the car while it sat in the shop doing nothing. I also hope to recover any lost value due to the defect originally causing this issue.

dzeleski

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2017 Tacoma
problems were related to scoring of the Cly walls, dealership opted to rebuild anyway. I never ran it WOT from a cold start, but the engine was destined to fail anyway.
Who ever approved that shouldnt have a job anymore. Takes 5 min with a good borescope, scoring almost always means a re hone in the best case.

32bitsofGil

First Name
Gilbert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0
Who ever approved that shouldnt have a job anymore. Takes 5 min with a good borescope, scoring almost always means a re hone in the best case.
I donā€™t want to drum up controversy, just want to share my experience.

Iā€™d also like to add the tech in question did a fantastic job repairing everything, addressing each and every concern I had and working as fast as they could. The entire service team was excellent, not perfect, but given the circumstances Iā€™d say they did a great job with my car.

dzeleski

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra, 2017 Tacoma
I donā€™t want to drum up controversy, just want to share my experience.

Iā€™d also like to add the tech in question did a fantastic job repairing everything, addressing each and every concern I had and working as fast as they could. The entire service team was excellent, not perfect, but given the circumstances Iā€™d say they did a great job with my car.
Its very rarely the tech for this level of work, the people doing this work are generally very experienced and capable. They know what is wrong and what it needs, they do this shit all day every day. Its always management pinching pennies. They probably hoped they could get away with a cheap fix instead of just doing it fucking right the first time.
Sponsored