New rumors from C&D: 2020 Supra to get BMW inline six engine / B58 & S58 chat

If the new Supra does indeed come with a BMW motor, woud you still buy the car?

• Total voters

Sun Devil

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
current: 2016 Audi A7 . Past: 996TT,997cab, 997TT, R8 V10, 13 FR-S
The other concern is bringing your Suprabimmer in for service. Toyota service people working on a BMW engine. Sounds frightening.
Sponsored

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS

Villa Jonny

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Lexus [V8] RCF, Camry [V6] SE
Vehicle Showcase
eh doesn't the post say 8 series lol

e: nvm unless you're merely comparing the profiles which i guess it does have comparable proportions
Yeah
The lines look similar to that of the FT-1.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
This was posted on Supraforums. The power listed seem extremely low (completely BS IMO). Especially when compared to the current Z4. However, a 4 cyl and two I6s are believable and is what BMW currently offers on the E89. Overall sounds like fake news/click bait, but I figured I'll share it anyways. It also gives you guys something to chat about while the endless wait continues :p

2.0L Inline 4- 198 hp
3.0L Inline 6- 258 hp
3.0L Inline 6- 340 hp

The third generation Toyota "SUPRA" which is anticipated to be released within 2018.

Its appearance seems to inherit the second generation "80 SUPRA" that was released in 1993 from the video of the test running scooped by Germany Nürburgring.

According to magazine X magazine, the interior seems to share parts of the next BMW "Z4" to be a brother car, so the trapezoidal monitor screen, shift lever, "iDrive" dial and so on are the same. Equipped with a paddle shift on the back of the steering wheel.

The predicted three size of the third generation "SUPRA" is 4,380 mm in total length, 1,855 mm in total width, 1,290 mm in total height.

Besides the 2.0 L 4 turbo's "20 G" and "30 G", 3.0 L straight turbocharged "40 G" seems to be prepared, and all the onboard engines are made by BMW. Transmission seems to be only ZF made 8 speed A / T.

"20 G" generates 198 ps / 32.6 kgm, and "30 G" generates 258 ps / 40.8 kg m. The top engine "40 G" will appear to generate 340 ps / 45.9 kgm.

From the viewpoint of Toyota and BMW joint development, the existence of a hybrid model has been rumored, but there is no battery mounting space on the packaging that emphasizes vehicle movement performance, so its possibility is low.

By the way, it seems that the fuel economy is developing target of 17.0 km / L with "20 G" loading model, 16.6 km / L of "30 G" and 14.4 km / L of "40 G".

The concerned vehicle price seems to be about 2.0 L model from 4 million yen to 6 million yen, 3.0 L model will be about 8 million yen.

The debut of the new "SUPRA" seems to be likely to become the Detroit motor show in January next year, so there is a possibility that it may be exhibited as a reference at the Tokyo Motor Show 17 this autumn, so its appearance is greatly awaited.
https://carview.yahoo.co.jp/news/newmodel/20170713-10268841-carview/?mode=full

Timmo598

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Toyota Supra, 02 Nissan Silvia, 09 370Z
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I'm sick of hearing/reading news from these different articles 'stating this' & 'stating that' about what engine it has etc, etc.
Although, I am always curious to read what they have to say and some of it does sound somewhat plausible.

Until someone either snaps a shot of the Supra with its bonnet (Hood) up, OR Toyota comes out and tells us what engine choices its being released with...
I think all of this stuff should just purely be with a tiniest pinch of salt.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
In this day and age, that 4 banger model better be at least 300hp+. It would be extremely sad if a riced out Civic out outperform this thing. :doh:
eh, think we were fucked a while ago for pure speed as the $40-50 K class seems to be the sweet spot right now to get the most bang for your buck...if the current TT 6 cylinder Z4 can't beat the current Focus RS or virtually any version of the Impreza/WRX STI in a 0 to 60 run then I'm not sure you should have those expectations for a 4 banger lol

riced out civics have beaten vettes & gtrs, no shame at this point

Last edited:

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
eh, think we were fucked a while ago for pure speed as the $40-50 K class seems to be the sweet spot right now to get the most bang for your buck...if the current TT 6 cylinder Z4 can't beat the current Focus RS or virtually any version of the Impreza/WRX STI in a 0 to 60 run then I'm not sure you should have those expectations for a 4 banger lol
Yeah but it isn't that far off. Focus RS @4.6, WRX STI @4.7, and Golf R @5.1. Anyways I hope the 4 banger model doesn't come to the US. I'm more excited about the two possible 6 cyl versions. In typical BMW fashion, I expect the new upcoming mid level 35i to outperform the current 35is.

http://www.caranddriver.com/compari...ng-performance-data-and-complete-specs-page-5
Sponsored