New rumors from C&D: 2020 Supra to get BMW inline six engine / B58 & S58 chat

If the new Supra does indeed come with a BMW motor, woud you still buy the car?

• Total voters

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
whats even more sad is that the old Z4 M is quicker than any of the Z posted above. IMO, BMW really lost their way with the E89. it got heavier and more expensive. sales have really tanked with this generation.
Sponsored

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
word on Bimmerpost is the new Z will be offered in only two trims. one being an entry level four banger turbo and the other an I6 turbo. much like how the 2 & 3 are with the 230i/330i and M240i/340i. currently there are no plans for a Z4 M, but things could charge later down the road.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
^^^Wow, just wow. So BMW is willing to make a X3 M of all thing, but no Z4 M. You got to be freaking kidding me. If true, shake my head Broke Motor Wagon. :nono:

Sun Devil

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
current: 2016 Audi A7 . Past: 996TT,997cab, 997TT, R8 V10, 13 FR-S
A 4 cyl Supra with around 200 hp and weighing more than an 86 will be a poser car for a non-enthusiast. I'm sure Toyota corp just wants to make a Supra available at a lower cost point. Toyota should have put in their Lexus LS500 twin turbo V6 with 400 plus hp in the Supra. Seems logical.

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
A 4 cyl Supra with around 200 hp and weighing more than an 86 will be a poser car for a non-enthusiast. I'm sure Toyota corp just wants to make a Supra available at a lower cost point. Toyota should have put in their Lexus LS500 twin turbo V6 with 400 plus hp in the Supra. Seems logical.
If Toyota wanted a cheaper base model for chicks and poor people than I would rather they just stick in the NA 3.5 2GR. Agree, TTV6 from the LS :headbang:

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
Powering the new Z4 will be a choice of BMW's latest turbocharged petrol engines. The Z4 sDrive30i will get a turbocharged 2.0-litre four-cylinder that produces about 248bhp, while more powerful variants will likely get a turbocharged 3.0-litre six-cylinder, shared with the M240i, producing about 335bhp.

Both engines will come with standard rear-wheel drive and a ZF eight-speed automatic gearbox.

The Z4 shares parts with the upcoming Toyota Supra, and is similarly expected to be offered with a hybrid drivetrain. Such a drivetrain would likely come with four-wheel drive.

BMW's decision to equip the Z4 with the same rear axle as the M3 and M4 rear suggests its hardware will be compatible with the 425bhp twin-turbo 3.0-litre straight six-engine of those models, or the 365bhp turbocharged 3.0-litre six-cylinder powerplant from the M2, along with a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic gearbox.

This car would be badged as an M model and therefore get its own bespoke bodywork and a more focused chassis set-up.

It's the sixth time we’ve seen the new model in the metal since its arrival was announced by BMW in 2015. The soft-top, two-door model is expected to be revealed later this year before sales kick-off in 2018.

The car's relation to the Toyota Supra comes as part of Toyota and BMW's decision to co-develop a new sports car platform.

While the BMW will be a convertible, the Toyota will be a spiritual successor to the Supra and as such will wear a hard top, as shown by spotted development cars.
https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2018-bmw-z5-spotted-own-rear-bodywork-first-time

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
I was expecting way more than 335hp. Tada san told us 'but new Supra means big power'... :what:

If all the above is true, than I think the only thing that can redeem this abomination performance wise would be a very light curb weight. So far, all the online rumors and word of mouth specs are a far cry from the to good to be true GT6 specs :cry:

Last edited:

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
^^^Wow, just wow. So BMW is willing to make a X3 M of all thing, but no Z4 M. You got to be freaking kidding me. If true, shake my head Broke Motor Wagon. :nono:
of course..just like Porsche, BMW is now a SUV manufacturer that sells sporty coupes & sedans on the side to keep their image & brand up :hmm:

I was expecting way more than 335hp. Tada san told us 'but new Supra means big power'... :what:

If all the above is true, than I think the only thing that can redeem this abomination performance wise would be a very light curb weight. So far, all the online rumors and word of mouth specs are a far cry from the to good to be true GT6 specs :cry:
I thought power was the main selling point in partnering with BMW...the Germans (except Porsche) don't make light analog machines anymore.

gymratter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Silver Spur & F-150
BMW employees' excuse for not making a Z4 M (because of the shrinking market for the 2 seater sports car). seems like Chevy, Mazda, and Porsche some how missed that memo. or could it be the E89 isn't really good at anything and doesn't stand out in the segment? not to mention the other reasons i stated earlier today.

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
I thought power was the main selling point in partnering with BMW...the Germans (except Porsche) don't make light analog machines anymore.
How hard is it to throw in a S55? Heck at this point I would even be ok with the M2's N55. I do understand the logic behind it. They don't want it to outperform the M2 & M3/M4, but that is a lame excuse IMO. The only little hope I have is BMW's new CLAR platform. I believe it has saved anywhere from 200-400lbs. While the GT6 specs of 2,900lbs sounds nice I wouldn't hold my breath. 3,200lbs+ sounds more realistic given the Z4 M coupe's curb weight.

Edited: With regards to the poll I voted NO. A 4 banger model is a disgrace to the Supra nameplate. Toyota should try to retain some dignity and just release a 6 cyl. Besides, I think they will have a hard time trying to selling a $50k+ 4 banger Toyota. I think most people would rather just buy a C7.

Last edited:

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
How hard is it to throw in a S55? Heck at this point I would even be ok with the M2's N55. I do understand the logic behind it. They don't want it to outperform the M2 & M3/M4, but that is a lame excuse IMO. The only little hope I have is BMW's new CLAR platform. I believe it has saved anywhere from 200-400lbs. While the GT6 specs of 2,900lbs sounds nice I wouldn't hold my breath. 3,200lbs+ sounds more realistic given the Z4 M coupe's curb weight.
indeed, it would be blasphemous to bimmer fans if one of their beloved chassis with a bmw engine & toyota body kit goes faster than their own variants..

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
indeed, it would be blasphemous to bimmer fans if one of their beloved chassis with a bmw engine & toyota body kit goes faster than their own variants..
Not only that, but a potential "Z4 M" may eat away from M2 sales.

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
of course..just like Porsche, BMW is now a SUV manufacturer that sells sporty coupes & sedans on the side to keep their image & brand up :hmm:
Sadly when looking at their 2015 vs 2016 sales we see sales of their cars down and CUVs up.

Edited: With regards to the poll I voted NO. A 4 banger model is a disgrace to the Supra nameplate. Toyota should try to retain some dignity and just release a 6 cyl. Besides, I think they will have a hard time trying to selling a $50k+ 4 banger Toyota. I think most people would rather just buy a C7.
I feel the same, also good to hear opinions and not just votes.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
Sadly when looking at their 2015 vs 2016 sales we see sales of their cars down and CUVs up.
hasn't that been the case each year since the millennium? why else do you think BMWs have softened over the years. sadly bmw hasn't treated their coupes/sedans with the same vision as say lotus or porsche who have maintained a steady & clear vision on what type of cars they build despite the bean counters. bmw chickened out, they were afraid (rightly so of course) that the market for analog drivers' cars was dwindling so in order to capture the consumers they never had access to they started shoving in herds of hide, driver assistance tech and softer suspension setups.
Sponsored