New Toyota Supra rumored to get Toyota twin turbo V6 engine

Would you pay $50k-$60k for a 350-400hp "Supra"?

• Yes

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Maybe, depends on other factors like weight, styling and etc.

Votes: 15 48.4%

• Total voters

supra85

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota GT86 with Volk 37 SL wheels
The Toyota MARK X GRMN engine details:
Name: 2GR-FSE
type: V6 3.5liter
maximum power: 236kw(321hp) / 6400 rpm
maximum torque: 380Nm /4800rpm

this can be also an option for the next supra.

Sponsored

Last edited:

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Those GRMN people really like manuals :D...wish the video had English subtitles but based on the smiles and laughter I'm sure it's a fun engine + car.

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
Sat in a GRMN Mark X last year in Japan while getting info on the new Camry and wondering why we couldn't just bring that over here. Really cool car.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
The main assistant engineer of the new Supra was the one that outfitted that car with a manual.

He told me that it uses an IS250 6spd and the mkiv rear end IIRC

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
The main assistant engineer of the new Supra was the one that outfitted that car with a manual.

He told me that it uses an IS250 6spd and the mkiv rear end IIRC
Don't know why they couldn't put that transmission in the IS350 also if it went behind the 3.5 in the Mark X. My 2nd gen was a 250 because the 350 was auto only.

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
Don't know why they couldn't put that transmission in the IS350 also if it went behind the 3.5 in the Mark X. My 2nd gen was a 250 because the 350 was auto only.
probably because it is clunky and just like all the "why not MT" discussions we've had, people who can fork out more money especially for something luxury probably don't want a jerky experience. orido never mentions whether he liked the gearbox in the video, he just comments that the ratios are ok. plus, it wasn't just the IS250, the current Tacoma uses the 2GR + MT so clearly the option for Lexus to slap a MT into their IS/GS/RC 350 was always available. regardless, I digress, wish lexus at least released limited/special edition versions of the IS/GS/RC with a manual trans.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
yeah, that trans apparently doesn't shift well or hold a lot of power (boosted applications) just from what I've read on the various Lexus forums over the years.

Interesting then that the trans in the 86 was based on it, but they changed a ton of stuff to make it feel completely different (still doesnt hold power).

HKz

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
FRS
yeah, that trans apparently doesn't shift well or hold a lot of power (boosted applications) just from what I've read on the various Lexus forums over the years.

Interesting then that the trans in the 86 was based on it, but they changed a ton of stuff to make it feel completely different (still doesnt hold power).
from my knowledge the IS250's MT is quite different from the 86's which uses a derivative of the S2000/Miata trans. there were quite a number of posters @ ft86club who were able to keep their stock trans even when pushing double the power.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I should have probably used a caveat that I have an R154 in my car and it holds quite a bit more power than the 86 trans hence my comment. That said, even R154s dont do too well above ~550wtq, which is why the V160, T56 Mag, TR6060, etc are held in such high regard. The 86 trans starts having issues above ~350wtq from what I've seen.

And you are correct on the architecture. The original speculation was that the 86 TL70 was based on the RA62 (IS250), but it is instead based on the much better J160 (IS200/Altezza), though they still changed like 80% of it to their liking.

Last edited:

jm6k

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cars
probably because it is clunky and just like all the "why not MT" discussions we've had, people who can fork out more money especially for something luxury probably don't want a jerky experience. orido never mentions whether he liked the gearbox in the video, he just comments that the ratios are ok. plus, it wasn't just the IS250, the current Tacoma uses the 2GR + MT so clearly the option for Lexus to slap a MT into their IS/GS/RC 350 was always available. regardless, I digress, wish lexus at least released limited/special edition versions of the IS/GS/RC with a manual trans.

It shifts pretty terribly and holding power is a known issue with it as well. If it's good enough for the 320hp Mark X though, I'm not sure what the problem is with putting it in the IS350. Again, I'm sure it's just a case of marketing/accounting saying it wasn't worth putting the option out there. I get it, I just don't like it.

Zaki

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Zaki
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2004 Acura NSX, 2010 Nissan GTR; 2013 Lexus LS FSport; 2017 Prius Prime
Given that the new 3.5TT V6 is capable of moving the roughly 5000 lb new LS to 60 in 4.5 sec., I can only imagine what it can do for the upcoming Supra, if they decide to use it instead of a BMW sourced power plant.

The new 3.5TT sounds amazingly good in the new LS in the Youtube videos.

Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NISSAN Silvia S15 Spec-R
Japanese automotive press report a 3-liter V6 twin turbo with a maximum output of more than 400ps for the high-spec model.
Body size is said to be : Length 4380 mm × width 1860 mm × height 1290 mm, / wheelbase 2485 mm / weight 1440kg.
The price is predicted for the 2-liter model between 5-6 million JPY and for the 3-liter model 7-8 million JPY .

tfoxyr

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
suzuki swift sport
i had found this image a very long time ago , even before the reports for 4 cylinder supra . This states that two versions will be made 4 and 6 sylinder . The 4 cylinder says will cost 4 milion yen and the 6 cylinder one 6 million .It also mentions 2019 as a possible production or market release date .

sfr+ supra.jpg

DevonK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Japanese automotive press report a 3-liter V6 twin turbo with a maximum output of more than 400ps for the high-spec model.
Body size is said to be : Length 4380 mm × width 1860 mm × height 1290 mm, / wheelbase 2485 mm / weight 1440kg.
The price is predicted for the 2-liter model between 5-6 million JPY and for the 3-liter model 7-8 million JPY .
So 3174 lbs, 385 hp - sounds feasible - how recent is this report? I assume that weight is for the hi-po model - the other version should be around 3050 assuming they go with a lighter 4 cylinder motor. Wonder if they are going for a 50/50 weight distribution - BMW usually does.

Perfect length - a good 5 inches shorter than the Vette, hopefully all lost at the front end - driving the Vette feels like piloting an aircraft carrier with that long nose.

Based on the reported power output I'd say we'll see base-model Vette/Cayman pricing for the tt V6. The 4 banger better be at least $10k less, hopefully $15k.

GTSSportCoupe

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Landcruiser 70 series
Not sure if you guys have read up on the new 2018 LS500. Toyota has used a twin turbo V6 in it. I wonder if there is a chance this same engine could end up in the new Supra? https://www.caranddriver.com/features/2018-lexus-ls500-dissected-feature

It's a twin turbo 3.4l V6. Makes 414hp and 443ft/lb torque. Apparently pushes the heavy LS to 100km/h in 4.5 seconds. Imagine what it could do in the lighter Supra...

EDIT, Sorry guys, I just realized there is already a discussion on this. I just had not found it until now.
Sponsored

Last edited: