New rumors from C&D: 2020 Supra to get BMW inline six engine / B58 & S58 chat

If the new Supra does indeed come with a BMW motor, woud you still buy the car?

• Total voters

MA617M

Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
can i please have a long tube manifold, single gtx4088 and Ti exhaust from factory, with warranty, Toyota? :p

Advertisement

SPMS

First Name
Jeremiah
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rc-F, 350z-TT, G2 Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
Put the people in charge of the Dodge Demon and Supra together in a room and piss them off. You might have a chance then :D
No need, quite a few people will be trying to slap a 76-82mm turbo, going for broke within a few months of release or swapping a 2jz lol.

doublespaces

Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 E93 335i
No need, quite a few people will be trying to slap a 76-82mm turbo, going for broke within a few months of release or swapping a 2jz lol.
Will need a stand alone that does Direct Injection. The N54 crowd had to wait for the Syvecs because of the piezo injectors, that really held that platform back big time. Only now are they actually beginning to see results from it.

SPMS

First Name
Jeremiah
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rc-F, 350z-TT, G2 Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
Will need a stand alone that does Direct Injection. The N54 crowd had to wait for the Syvecs because of the piezo injectors, that really held that platform back big time. Only now are they actually beginning to see results from it.
Yea, I agree. My friend had those issues, with him doing a bigger single on his 335i. I'm sure there will be more people working to tune the Supra though, just because of its name, compared to what the 335i and such had. I was looking at running syvecs for my build, before I decided to go with motec.

Guff

Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, BRZ, Mini Mk1
Vehicle Showcase
I'm still banking on Toyota incorporating their D4S hybrid injection. I'm also hoping they will take it easy on ECU encryption, but that might be wishful thinking. Tada-San is still saying "tuner-friendly" so we'll see.

doublespaces

Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 E93 335i
I'm still banking on Toyota incorporating their D4S hybrid injection. I'm also hoping they will take it easy on ECU encryption, but that might be wishful thinking. Tada-San is still saying "tuner-friendly" so we'll see.
If its a BMW engine, it will likely be BMW engine control, which should be handled by the MG1. BMW locks down all their software because frankly that's where the big bucks can be spent.

If Toyota has a contribution to this project, its on the electric side, and I doubt a hybrid injection system would get implemented by BMW. It could, and I hope it does because that makes things simpler for us enthusiasts. BMW has quite a bit of money and test time on their high pressure pumps, which have evolved over time to include dual pumps as found on the S55. Bosch who makes those pumps even have higher capacity versions which you can custom order(for $5k+) from their Motorsports division, so with that type of head room I just don't see the need for PI.

Guff

Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, BRZ, Mini Mk1
Vehicle Showcase
If its a BMW engine, it will likely be BMW engine control, which should be handled by the MG1. BMW locks down all their software because frankly that's where the big bucks can be spent.

If Toyota has a contribution to this project, its on the electric side, and I doubt a hybrid injection system would get implemented by BMW. It could, and I hope it does because that makes things simpler for us enthusiasts. BMW has quite a bit of money and test time on their high pressure pumps, which have evolved over time to include dual pumps as found on the S55. Bosch who makes those pumps even have higher capacity versions which you can custom order(for $5k+) from their Motorsports division, so with that type of head room I just don't see the need for PI.
Hey man, a set of ID2000s for a JZ costs $1500, and that's a much easier pill to swallow than $5k! But you're right, we'll just have to wait and see.

For all the the bad and good of the Subaru collaboration, at least Subie's ECUs are all unlocked and easy to tune. It's really an underrated feature!

All that being said, let's not forget that it took nearly 10 years for RR Racing to crack the ISF, so I guess it could be worse.

Last edited:

SPMS

First Name
Jeremiah
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rc-F, 350z-TT, G2 Raptor
Vehicle Showcase
The Lexus ECU being locked, I think took away any performance market it could have had. The ISF/RCF/LCF all could have had growth, had the ECU been easier to crack. Theres still some hope for those now though. Hopefully with the Supra, we won't have to wait as long or at all, to be able to at least do ecu flash, as most can handle the upgrades many will do. Then standalones later, should people really need them.

doublespaces

Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 E93 335i
The Lexus ECU being locked, I think took away any performance market it could have had. The ISF/RCF/LCF all could have had growth, had the ECU been easier to crack. Theres still some hope for those now though. Hopefully with the Supra, we won't have to wait as long or at all, to be able to at least do ecu flash, as most can handle the upgrades many will do. Then standalones later, should people really need them.
The bad thing about the MG1 being cracked just recently, is now this gives them time to fix the exploit before the Supra comes out assuming they use it there as well. Lets hope its a critical exploit that doesn't get patched up in time.

But with the hybrid electric features, who knows what ECU is really going to be used.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
LCF? I didn’t even know one existed .. lol

Advertisement

Advertisement