New rumors from C&D: 2020 Supra to get BMW inline six engine / B58 & S58 chat

If the new Supra does indeed come with a BMW motor, woud you still buy the car?

• Total voters

MA617M

Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
I find a Detroit debut hard to believe, isn't that a dead motor show?

Advertisement

Guff

Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, BRZ, Mini Mk1
Vehicle Showcase
I find a Detroit debut hard to believe, isn't that a dead motor show?
FT1 was unveiled at Detroit IIRC. Plus, if none of the Germans want to release things at Detroit, then the spotlight will fully be on the Supra. Seems like a win-win in that regard.

Also, It's not that far of a drive for me :p

Supraman

Reaction score
Car(s)
s2000 / Xterra Pro-4X
I'm really hoping we see the real deal before the year ends. LA auto show in November would be nice! They'll still have time after that to keep on testing it. Its just been time for them to show the world what this new Supra is all about.

Lexusisf

Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Lexus-ISF
Detroit does seem like a great venue for the Supra to shine and be the top dog (well in our eyes...) but thats not until Jan/19 so long too wait and keep interested...hope Toyota slowly releases phots and detials well before that...

DevonK

Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Any big mid-engined sports car is going to have that basic shape. C&D has a few renders that look pretty sweet.

Levi

Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
FT1 was unveiled at Detroit IIRC. Plus, if none of the Germans want to release things at Detroit, then the spotlight will fully be on the Supra. Seems like a win-win in that regard.

Also, It's not that far of a drive for me :p
The Germans will steal the show with online press releases.

doublespaces

Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 E93 335i
B58/S58 will not be utilized in the production Supra, but they are being used in the mules.

That said, this 48v system is definitely possible :D
Thank you for the reply. I have a hard time believing that Toyota is making their own forced induction engine after being out of it for so long. Hopefully I'm wrong because I'd like to see more brands making a turbo inline 6, but the cost to dive into something like that is immense.

Perhaps they won't be called the B58TU/S58, but instead a new engine name using the same underlying technology with Toyota specific customizations. Kind of like how Microsoft orders their Xbox CPU and GPU from AMD, but get custom silicon to cater to their specific needs.

Another explanation for this comment, is that we will see something like the B48TU in some of these lower models for the first production Supras with the other motors rolling out later?

I don't really even care about the B58, but an S58 class engine is what I'd be most interested in, and its what I am trying to push for. I think it would be a pretty big fail if they don't produce an RZ/GZ tier Supra to compete with the S58 which we will likely find in the G29 Z4 M.

Last edited:

Modal170

Reaction score
Car(s)
I don't really even care about the B58, but an S58 class engine is what I'd be most interested in, and its what I am trying to push for. I think it would be a pretty big fail if they don't produce an RZ/GZ tier Supra to compete with the S58 which we will likely find in the G29 Z4 M.

Lots of other magazines say that there is a Supra GR, GRMN, GRMN Sport version that would work like a Lexus RC, RC Sport and F line.

So there will be a RZ/GZ teir potentially.

If not, there ar emods that can be implemented like a sport package to make a F tier car.

doublespaces

Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 E93 335i
Lots of other magazines say that there is a Supra GR, GRMN, GRMN Sport version that would work like a Lexus RC, RC Sport and F line.

So there will be a RZ/GZ teir potentially.

If not, there ar emods that can be implemented like a sport package to make a F tier car.
I agree, the B58's ECU has been cracked so getting 500whp out of it should be no problem at all by the time people have these in their hands. But this is a bit different than a true RZ/GZ trim. As someone who drives a 650whp N54, there is a lot to appreciate about the S55. A big difference will be the suspension geometry and handling. M cars almost always get out of the hole better, not to mention around the road course.

A70TTR

Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Thank you for the reply. I have a hard time believing that Toyota is making their own forced induction engine after being out of it for so long.
you may be extrapolating far more than what I was getting at... this is more like going to a manufacturer and saying I need something that will do this, this, and this. what do you have? oh, you don't have anything currently that will do that... well, can we use these and and modify them to work? Okay, lets do that.

so, it is bespoke, but it's still a collaboration for sure.

doublespaces

Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 E93 335i
you may be extrapolating far more than what I was getting at... this is more like going to a manufacturer and saying I need something that will do this, this, and this. what do you have? oh, you don't have anything currently that will do that... well, can we use these and and modify them to work? Okay, lets do that.

so, it is bespoke, but it's still a collaboration for sure.
Considering my custom silicon analogy, I can agree with this being incredibly likely and if you're suggesting such a thing then it makes all the sense in the world. Thanks for clarification.

Advertisement

Advertisement