New rumors from C&D: 2020 Supra to get BMW inline six engine / B58 & S58 chat

If the new Supra does indeed come with a BMW motor, woud you still buy the car?

• Total voters

rob13567

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 camaro 2ss
Thanks A70! I hope it's a weapon. Designing your own engine and contracting it to BMW, yet having it not based on any current engine seems counter-intuitive to bringing costs down.... unless BMW plan to use the Toyota-designed engine for some of their units?

So many theories... I wish they'd just give us the damn specs already haha... So I know whether I have to start selling the Benz to fund one... :p
They could be working on it together???
Sponsored

outofstep

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MK3 Supra, MK4 Supra, 650S, BMW 335I, XRunner
Unlike quite afew folks here, I have no inherent problems with Toyota using the BMW shortblock. The S5X blocks are incredibly stout. Folks need to go brows the various BMW forums. Its very much like Supraforums was in the late 2000s. Tons of folks pushing lots of reliable horsepower.

Hell, its EXACTLY why I bought a new 335i in 2013. At the time it basically WAS a reincarnated Supra.

BMW accessories on the other hand suck balls. As long as Toyota does the various alternator, starter, turbos, etc. then it will be very reliable + lots of tuning margin from these very stout blocks. I just hope output isnt even close to the anemic sub 400hp numbers that have been floating around.

Blupra

First Name
Blu
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW M2 and Honda S2000 - both 6MT
Unlike quite afew folks here, I have no inherent problems with Toyota using the BMW shortblock. The S5X blocks are incredibly stout. Folks need to go brows the various BMW forums. Its very much like Supraforums was in the late 2000s. Tons of folks pushing lots of reliable horsepower.

Hell, its EXACTLY why I bought a new 335i in 2013. At the time it basically WAS a reincarnated Supra.

BMW accessories on the other hand suck balls. As long as Toyota does the various alternator, starter, turbos, etc. then it will be very reliable + lots of tuning margin from these very stout blocks. I just hope output isnt even close to the anemic sub 400hp numbers that have been floating around.
Very true. Starting with the N54 (in 2007 or so) then the N55, now S55, B58, S58, these have proven to be pretty reliable engines and can be easily modded. Each engine was better than the one before it and now Toyota has sprinkled it with JDM Unicorn Dust, I'm ok with the BMW/Supra idea.

Nurburgring

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
911 Turbo, M3 E46, Turbocharged NA Miata, S2000, Mazda FC3S & FD3S, EP91 Starlet, EK9 Type R, EG6 Sir2, AE86, 3SGE AE86, Evo7RS, F3 race car
Add me to the list of people that are ok with a BMW sourced I6 turbo.
The only element I hope they remove is the Valvetronic system. That would probably mean a completely different cylinder head, so not likely, but I can still dream of a nice, Yamaha-developed head.

boodjohn

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Doe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CAMSOIASNDW

Sub 400 hp is decent or even good enough. If they stay true to the numbers of sub 3000 lbs, 400 hp would be perfect.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The only element I hope they remove is the Valvetronic system. That would probably mean a completely different cylinder head, so not likely, but I can still dream of a nice, Yamaha-developed head.
Since toyota tested the car ten times more than the 86, this suggest tehy aren't going to make this car fail until it's at least 250k.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
Forum insiders already mentioned in another thread that the head will be new and unique to Supra (and Z4??)

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
I hope Toyota learned from PSA-BMW collaboration, where BMW joined with PSA to build the 1.6l THP for the Mini, and that motor only had problems, that impacted PSA reliability. Then BMW left the deal and PSA was left with an engine full of problems. PSA has finally reseolved all the issues, with the 1.6l THP now making up to 280 PS. Never let BMW touch any engines.

BrettS

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 gti
Vehicle Showcase
Spotted on supra forums.

I was recently at a Toyota event and got to see the car from a distance (Along with the NASCAR version). It's very similar, if not exactly the same, as the most recent renderings. The following was shared:
- Will debut at the Detroit Auto Show, should see it at dealerships next Summer. - ~350 HP engine, not 400 as I've seen stated. It will be an I6 with a single turbo. - Automatic transmission. Toyota did not officially announce this but in talking to a Toyota engineer it's a no-go on a M/T - hoping he's wrong..
It was about a 45 second show and tell so they didn't divulge much information beyond that.

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
Spotted on supra forums.

I was recently at a Toyota event and got to see the car from a distance (Along with the NASCAR version). It's very similar, if not exactly the same, as the most recent renderings. The following was shared:
- Will debut at the Detroit Auto Show, should see it at dealerships next Summer. - ~350 HP engine, not 400 as I've seen stated. It will be an I6 with a single turbo. - Automatic transmission. Toyota did not officially announce this but in talking to a Toyota engineer it's a no-go on a M/T - hoping he's wrong..
It was about a 45 second show and tell so they didn't divulge much information beyond that.
There's a chance for MT to be an option later down the line

Novice_Mentality

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Subaru WRX STI, 1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited, 2015 Ducati 899 Panigale
Spotted on supra forums.

Do you think some of these figures/the aesthetics could possibly change from now until then? There are things that make me believe that Toyota is still "holding back" info. I feel like they are saying/showing these "Production" cars, but there are still things that will be changed to the production version. For example, I don't doubt that the first version will only come in auto/DCT, but the HP figure seems to be a little low for a Toyota Halo car.

That's my personal opinion though, wondering if anyone else agrees or disagrees?
Sponsored