New Toyota Supra rumored to get Toyota twin turbo V6 engine

Would you pay $50k-$60k for a 350-400hp "Supra"?

• Yes

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • No

Votes: 6 19.4%
  • Maybe, depends on other factors like weight, styling and etc.

Votes: 15 48.4%

• Total voters

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Got a chance to looks up some stats and...

Chevrolet Corvette 1LT (base): 430 hp, $55k, curb weight 3440lbs

New Supra: ~400hp, 50-60k (so $55k for comparison), curb weight ~3100lbs

Unless I'm missing something, this looks like a winning formula to me.
Sponsored

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
350hp is fine if it has some fancy electric motors on the rear wheels adding another few hundred...
I think the sooner people forget the "mk5 supra" thing and just see it as a new, different sports car, the better. comparing it to a halo car from 20 years ago will only cause disappointment, or to miss the point of this new car.

madfast

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Evo X
Man this whole thread is filled with people who are going to be monumentally disappointed. this car will be a faster 86. nothing more, nothing less. it'll most likely have a bmw engine. it'll most likely be auto only. it'll most likely be $50-60k. if that isn't what you are looking for, start looking elsewhere... complaining is useless and will fall on deaf ears. the reality is toyota will make this car or no car at all. toyota knows people love manuals. that's why the 86 has it. but they also know the market for a manual $50-60k toyota coupe is minuscule. i get people are emotional/nostalgic when talking about the supra, but we have to be realistic...

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not sure if anyone pointed this out but the article mentions the BMW Z5. We've known for a lil over a month now it's going to carry the Z4 badge so this may be old info. based on old rumors.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
Man this whole thread is filled with people who are going to be monumentally disappointed. this car will be a faster 86. nothing more, nothing less. it'll most likely have a bmw engine. it'll most likely be auto only. it'll most likely be $50-60k. if that isn't what you are looking for, start looking elsewhere... complaining is useless and will fall on deaf ears. the reality is toyota will make this car or no car at all. toyota knows people love manuals. that's why the 86 has it. but they also know the market for a manual $50-60k toyota coupe is minuscule. i get people are emotional/nostalgic when talking about the supra, but we have to be realistic...
I should just designate getting points like this one across to you lol

Last edited:

vb22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
SC300
SPIED! BMW Z4

Developed alongside the upcoming Toyota Supra, the next-generation BMW Z4 will be lighter than the car it replaces partly due to it ditching the complicated retractable hardtop in favor of a simpler power-operated soft top. For the U.S., powertrain choices will likely include a 2.0-liter turbo-four in the base model and a more powerful 3.0-liter turbo I-6 in a performance-oriented M40i variant. Expect an eight-speed automatic transmission from ZF to be available on all models; however, a six-speed manual could only be reserved for the base Z4.

Our spy photographers tell us that when equipped with the 2.0-liter turbo-four, the Z4 will weigh in at around 1,400 kg, or around 3,086 pounds. The new platform is also compatible with hybrid powertrains and can support all-wheel drive. However, don’t expect a full-fledged M model to arrive anytime soon.
http://www.motortrend.com/news/spied-bmw-z4-shows-headlights-taillights/

2JZ-No-Sh*t

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
More rumors/rehash/click bait/fake news from R&D, but I'll post it here before someone makes a new thread.

2019 Toyota Supra: What We Know
Toyota has a new rear-drive sports car coming, with help from BMW. Here's what we know, and what we think we know, about it.

Toyota reentered the rear-wheel drive sports car game with the 86 (née Scion FR-S) back in 2012, and now it's got something bigger in the works. Something that could be a successor to the mighty Supra, one of Toyota's most beloved cars of all time. There's a lot we know about this car and there's a lot we've heard, so we're compiling all of it here, just for you.

We don't know for sure whether this car will wear the Supra badge, but for simplicity's sake, that's how we're going to refer to it for now. Who doesn't want a new Supra?

What We Know
It'll Be Revealed Soon, At Least In Concept Form
According to Japan's Best Car magazine, the Supra could make its debut as a concept car at the Tokyo Motor Show in October. Apparently, it'll share the stage with a version of the little, rear-drive S-FR Concept first shown at Tokyo in 2015, and intriguingly, some sort of sporty Corolla concept.

Three Toyota performance concepts at one auto show sounds unusual, but company CEO Akio Toyoda is committed to bringing more sporty, exciting cars to market. We've already seen that with the bewitching Lexus LC500 coupe and the WRC-inspired Yaris GRMN hot hatch, and apparently there's much more to come.

In any case, we'll find out what Toyota has in store very soon.

It's Being Co-Developed With BMW
The Supra will be the result of a BMW-Toyota collaboration first announced in 2012. The two companies are working together on engines and lithium-ion batteries, and most interestingly, a new rear-wheel drive platform.

We've already seen the concept form of another car set to ride on this platform—the next BMW Z4 roadster, which debuted at Pebble Beach this summer and promises to be a legitimately excellent sports car. BMW is reportedly targeting a sub-3200-lb curb weight for the Z4, which is good news for the Supra said to share its platform. We think the Supra might be available as a hardtop only, since we haven't seen spy shots of any soft-top prototypes testing, so it's possible the Supra might be even lighter.

Toyota Is Testing It at the Nürburgring
There's been no lack of videos showing the Supra in testing at Germany's famous Nürburgring. This is the proving ground of choice for high-performance products, and an indication that Toyota really wants the Supra to be a true driver's car.

It Starts Production in 2018
In May, we reported that the Supra would hit production next year, and that it would be assembled in Austria by contract manufacturer Magna Steyr, which is best known as the company that builds the Mercedes-Benz G-Wagen.

It'll Likely Get Six-Cylinder Power Of Some Sort
Based on Nürburgring videos of Supra prototypes, we're thinking they're running some sort of six-cylinder engine. We've heard that the model could get a V6 augmented by an electric motor, or perhaps a BMW straight-six. This probably won't be the only drivetrain available, for reasons we'll get to below.

It Will Look Like the FT-1 Concept

Renderings from SupraMkV.com inspired by spy photos imagine a Supra based on Toyota's FT-1 concept. The FT-1 made its debut in 2014 at the Detroit Auto Show and previewed what a future rear-drive sports car from Toyota could look like. With any luck, the production car will keep the concept car's gorgeous lines.

What We Think We Know
It Could Get an All-Wheel Drive Hybrid Drivetrain
So, we've heard a couple of different things about this. Last year, the CEO of Toyota Europe hinted the Supra could be a hybrid, using technology from Toyota’s LMP1-Hybrid race cars.

Additonally, Autocar reported last year that the Supra would get some sort of all-wheel drive hybrid drivetrain with a V6 gas engine, but that's far from confirmed. Top Gearreported in August that both the Z4 and the Supra would use a four-cylinder engine and an electrically-driven front axle. But so far, BMW hasn't announced any such model.

There Might Not Be a Manual Option

This is another rumor we heard from Autocar, and it ties in with the Supra's potential hybrid drivetrain. A source told the UK publication that if the Supra is offered with some sort of LMP1-inspired hybrid powertrain, a manual transmission wouldn't make any sense.

Separately, a reportedly internal BMW document published by SupraMkV.comindicates that the Supra won't be offered with a manual, but the Z4 will. That document doesn't indicate a hybrid Supra, however, and BMW hasn't confirmed the document's origins.

Engines Could Come From BMW
That same leaked BMW document from SupraMkV.com indicates that the Supra will get three engine options—two 2.0-liter turbo four-cylinders and a 3.0-liter inline-six. The four-cylinders would likely be BMW's so-called 20i and 30i engines, found throughout its lineup, while the six is suspected to be the 40i engine. The document indicates that while the 20i engine will be offered in European-market Supras, only the higher-powered 30i and 40i motors are US-bound.

This seems to contradict what we've heard about the Supra getting a V6 hybrid setup, but it does sound like a reasonable possibility, considering these four- and six-cylinders will likely appear in the Z4. BMW's engines are excellent, and a straight-six would be a lovely throwback to previous Supras.

Thankfully, these questions and more will likely be answered by Toyota itself at the 2017 Tokyo Motor Show. We can't wait to see what Toyota has in store.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/a12635049/2019-toyota-supra-what-we-know/

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
This Toyota-BMW sports car reminds me that Chrysler-Daimler sports car (Chrysler Crossfire and Mercedes-Benz SLK (R170) ). But could turn out to be a Mazda-FCA roadster (Mazda MX-5 and Fiat 124).