New Tires=Slow?

PockyProtector

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2006 STi
I've got a Mike Botti 93 tune with a downpipe and the car rips. I went to discount tire and had them put on new rear tires (Michelin Pilot Super Sports 285/35r/19). Before I would spin in 3rd but even with losing traction the car hauled ass. After getting the new tires put on, it feels like a slug. Basically feels stock. The tires seem like they're gripping fine but even a 2nd gear pull feels slow. They put the tire pressure to around 40psi which is high but anyone have a clue what is going on? It feels like a different car and not in a good way. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Sponsored

Dannyvandelft

First Name
Danny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ordered A91 edition Supra
I've got a Mike Botti 93 tune with a downpipe and the car rips. I went to discount tire and had them put on new rear tires (Michelin Pilot Super Sports 285/35r/19). Before I would spin in 3rd but even with losing traction the car hauled ass. After getting the new tires put on, it feels like a slug. Basically feels stock. The tires seem like they're gripping fine but even a 2nd gear pull feels slow. They put the tire pressure to around 40psi which is high but anyone have a clue what is going on? It feels like a different car and not in a good way. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Only thing I can think of is you changed the gearing on the car by going with a 285 instead of a 275. Your tire has a larger circumference now effectively giving you longer gears (sidewall height is 35% of tread width). But, having said that, going just one size up shouldn't make THAT much of a difference.
I'm thinking it's a placebo effect because your old worn tires would give you the feeling of going fast because they were struggling and the new grippy tires don't.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
What does the speedo, well gps speedo have to say about this feeling?
Also, what does the vehicle suggest for inflation pressure? Normal recommended pressure is 38psi..
1606187932190.png

OP
OP

PockyProtector

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2006 STi
What does the speedo, well gps speedo have to say about this feeling?
Also, what does the vehicle suggest for inflation pressure? Normal recommended pressure is 38psi..
1606187932190.png
Didn't pay as much attention to the speedo as I should have but switching from 3rd gear to 4th was noticeably slower. Whether this is due to my old tires being significantly worn, causing the revs to spike, could be an issue. As previously mentioned I could also be over-thinking all of this. Tomorrow I will spend much more time analyzing various pulls. I'll also be putting the psi at 32. I'm sure I cant be the only one to feel this way, whether legitimate or not.

Blaque Diamond Wheels

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra MkV
Didn't pay as much attention to the speedo as I should have but switching from 3rd gear to 4th was noticeably slower. Whether this is due to my old tires being significantly worn, causing the revs to spike, could be an issue. As previously mentioned I could also be over-thinking all of this. Tomorrow I will spend much more time analyzing various pulls. I'll also be putting the psi at 32. I'm sure I cant be the only one to feel this way, whether legitimate or not.
Was there any difference after switching it to 32 psi? Should actually be good even up to 35

***Mention You Are From The Forum For The Best Deals***
Check Out The*All NEW BD-F25

Phone: (818) 362-2300
E-Mail: [email protected]

Click here and visit our pages
IG: @BDWheels
FB:
/BlaqueDiamondWheels
Sponsored

Last edited: