Tires for new wheels

HookemNC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0 premium
Edit: ordered 305/30s for the rear. Now do I move the 275s from the rear to the front or keep the 255s :hmm: I posted a few pics two posts down for visuals. Thanks again.

Hey folks. I just put on my new BC forged wheels yesterday evening and used the stock tires for the time being as I wasn't sure what size tires I should go with.

Wheel sizes are:

F: 19x9.5 +44
R: 19x11 +36

The 255/35 fits the front decently well. Very minimal stretch. The rear....stretch city. I am looking at 305/30, 305/35, and 295/35. If I go with 305/30 should I go with the stock 255 on the fronts still, push the rear 275s to the front, or pick up a new front tire all together? I am on stock height and don't have any plans to lower it. The current setup doesn't rub and i've searched the forums for 19x11 and seen folks running bigger tires but just wanted some suggestions. Most likely going with Pilot 4s.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Would love to see pics as things currently stand. I am curious about how stretched a 275 looks on the 11" wheel.

I forget exactly what is available but for mine I had planned to use stock tires until they are more worn then switch to 265/35 and 295/35. I plan to use Sport Cup 2 rather than 4S but I think they are available in the same sizes. Also considering 265/35 and 285/35 but I don't know which tires come in that size other than Supercar 3Rs.

OP
OP
HookemNC

HookemNC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0 premium
Would love to see pics as things currently stand. I am curious about how stretched a 275 looks on the 11" wheel.

I forget exactly what is available but for mine I had planned to use stock tires until they are more worn then switch to 265/35 and 295/35. I plan to use Sport Cup 2 rather than 4S but I think they are available in the same sizes. Also considering 265/35 and 285/35 but I don't know which tires come in that size other than Supercar 3Rs.
Here you go! I just ordered 305/30s for the rear. Now to decide if I keep the 255s in the front or move the rear 275s up front instead :hmm:

The front tires don't stretch that badly tbh. The rears I couldn't stand lol.
78E6297B-A037-4CE0-9BBD-226DFDB94E43.jpeg

A33B2317-9EDE-4E15-A5DA-3684A0EAE99A.jpeg

839E444B-B70D-4C22-8D86-958C7B95E363.jpeg

DEB0D08C-5DD9-40CF-A93C-61934C514676.jpeg

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Yeah, that is a bit stretched out...

jay1k2

First Name
Jordan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
IS350, 2020 Cayman GT4
Here you go! I just ordered 305/30s for the rear. Now to decide if I keep the 255s in the front or move the rear 275s up front instead :hmm:

The front tires don't stretch that badly tbh. The rears I couldn't stand lol.
78E6297B-A037-4CE0-9BBD-226DFDB94E43.jpeg

A33B2317-9EDE-4E15-A5DA-3684A0EAE99A.jpeg

839E444B-B70D-4C22-8D86-958C7B95E363.jpeg

DEB0D08C-5DD9-40CF-A93C-61934C514676.jpeg
Can you post some full pics of the car with the wheels? :)

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
Yeah, that is a bit stretched out...
~ Not to offend anyone... but Iā€™m perplexed as to why owners want such a wide wheel for the rear but then donā€™t opt for the appropriate sized tire to fit the rim?!?

To me the proportions just look awkward when the rim edge exceeds the side wall of the tire ... just trying to make it work. Almost a downgrade to the car.

In your particular instance ... I know these are temporary tires.

OP
OP
HookemNC

HookemNC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0 premium
~ Not to offend anyone... but Iā€™m perplexed as to why owners want such a wide wheel for the rear but then donā€™t opt for the appropriate sized tire to fit the rim?!?

To me the proportions just look awkward when the rim edge exceeds the side wall of the tire ... just trying to make it work. Almost a downgrade to the car.

In your particular instance ... I know these are temporary tires.
No offense taken here, bud. This is why I made a post looking for suggestions. Wheels arrived before I had a chance to order so they got installed with the appointment time I had slotted. Tires are ordered and go on tomorrow. I can't speak for other owners but this one doesn't ignore the finer details (and you're right, I too hate the stretched look), hence my post this morning looking for opinions before buying the rubber. :cool:

Last edited:

Hellion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 premium
No offense taken here, bud. This is why I made a post looking for suggestions. Wheels arrived before I had a chance to order so they got installed with the appointment time I had slotted. Tires are ordered and go on tomorrow. I can't speak for other owners but this one doesn't ignore the finer details (and you're right, I too hate the stretched look), hence my post this morning looking for opinions before buying the rubber. :cool:
Yeah. Agreed. Stance scene fads are best left to cars that don't perform very well to begin with. A small amount of stretch is fine (OEM setup for example), but I'm not a fan either. It's actually kind of surprising how much stretch a lot of OEMs have presently.

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah. Agreed. Stance scene fads are best left to cars that don't perform very well to begin with. A small amount of stretch is fine (OEM setup for example), but I'm not a fan either. It's actually kind of surprising how much stretch a lot of OEMs have presently.
Slight stretch keeps the sidewalls firmer, so there's less deflection. Usually why you'll see most performance cars with a slight stretch from the factory.

Hellion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 premium
Slight stretch keeps the sidewalls firmer, so there's less deflection
...On the same tire, and degrades ride quality and has less contact patch than the wheel can accommodate, compared to a more square sidewall.

I understand what you are saying. When I referred to OEMs I was speaking of vehicles like Honda Accords, Audi A3, Hyundai or Kia almost anything, etc. Not performance. Enough stretch and low profile that most of them I see in the wild are wearing ridiculous curb rash. These cars can and probably should wear close to square sidewalls.

Tire choice, contact patch, tire pressure, profile, etc. are equally important. If you are slightly stretching an all weather tire or lesser performance tire and upgrade to a tire with a stiffer sidewall you can likely widen the contact patch on the same wheel and avoid sacrificing sidewall stiffness.

I'll agree that the Supra's OEM sizes meet the criteria you refer to, if just. Any more stretch would approach mild "illest" windshield banner territory.

OP has gone up a full inch on the rear wheel and .5 on the front, keeping OEM tires. I agree that it's unnecessarily stretched, the rear tire should be wider. I would go with a wider front too. But you know what they say about opinions... :)

OP
OP
HookemNC

HookemNC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0 premium
...On the same tire, and degrades ride quality and has less contact patch than the wheel can accommodate, compared to a more square sidewall.

I understand what you are saying. When I referred to OEMs I was speaking of vehicles like Honda Accords, Audi A3, Hyundai or Kia almost anything, etc. Not performance. Enough stretch and low profile that most of them I see in the wild are wearing ridiculous curb rash. These cars can and probably should wear close to square sidewalls.

Tire choice, contact patch, tire pressure, profile, etc. are equally important. If you are slightly stretching an all weather tire or lesser performance tire and upgrade to a tire with a stiffer sidewall you can likely widen the contact patch on the same wheel and avoid sacrificing sidewall stiffness.

I'll agree that the Supra's OEM sizes meet the criteria you refer to, if just. Any more stretch would approach mild "illest" windshield banner territory.

OP has gone up a full inch on the rear wheel and .5 on the front, keeping OEM tires. I agree that it's unnecessarily stretched, the rear tire should be wider. I would go with a wider front too. But you know what they say about opinions... :)
305s on the rear and 265s up front now :thumbsup: