New Toyota software updates for the 2020?

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
Yeah, why did they do the stupid cheat code for the engine information secret menu? Stupid.....
To keep the flood of service calls to a minimum... just look at what introducing new options on a subsequent model year has stirred up... can you imagine the number of "emergency service calls" from people unsure if 100C oil temps meant their engine was about to blow up or not?
Sponsored

ToyotaBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M140i
No arguments here. If Toyota saw no issue with killing the value of the MY20 within 7 months of its release, Iā€™ve got little faith that it wonā€™t happen year after year. This will definitely be my last Toyota purchase, and I honestly wish I had just gotten a GTR.
Strict two seaters are in general low volume cars. Because they are largely emotional and hedonistic purchases, manufacturers need to periodically release new updates to keep the excitement barometer up. The AMG GT is a great examples. There is the:

AMG GT
AMG GT C
AMG GT S
AMG GT R
AMG GT PRO

However I wholeheartedly agree that with the MY2021 updates, Toyota have been unkind to early adopters who have taken delivery of their cars in recent months.

Updates that are likely over the next 2-3 years are:

• Manual gearbox variant
  • iDrive 7 with possibly a digital instrument cluster.
  • Android Auto
  • New steering wheel
  • A variant with the S58 engine that is in the X3 M and will feature in the new M3/M4.
  • GRMN variant with solid sub frame bushings and other bits that will make the Supra sharper and more responsive.

I'm interested in buying a Supra and will wait and see how variants and resale values pan out, and how it will compare against the new G80/G82 M3/M4 with switchable AWD.

Jabba

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Hyundai Veloster N
I'm still very skeptical of future MKV's getting the S58 motor. That's a BMW proprietary motor from their M division. I understand the deal Toyota and BMW had for the B58, but the S58 seems like a stretch.

However, I would love to be wrong about this.

ToyotaBoy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M140i
I'm still very skeptical of future MKV's getting the S58 motor. That's a BMW proprietary motor from their M division. I understand the deal Toyota and BMW had for the B58, but the S58 seems like a stretch.

However, I would love to be wrong about this.
In October 2019 Alpina announced the 3-Series G20 based B3. Everyone expected it to use the B58 like the M340i but instead it is powered by a detuned version of the S58 in the X3 M and is mated to a ZF8 instead of a DCT.

This was highly unexpected as the new M3/M4 haven't even debuted yet with the engine. BMW are clearly being very open by supplying the S58 to Alpina.

Furthermore BMW have also signed an engine supply agreement with JLR. Some of their cars will be powered by the N63 V8.

An S58 powered Supra isn't guaranteed but is very possible - especially if BMW aim to lower the unit costs of their cars nines while increasing investment in electric drivetrains.

Furthermore BMW have also signed an engine supply agreement with JLR. Some of their cars will be powered by the N63 V8.

A Supra powered by a detuned version of the S58 is not guaranteed but possible - especially if BMW aim to lower the unit costs of their thirsty ICEs while increasing investment in electric drivetrains.

Waferz

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 supra launch edition, 1993 rx7
i wasnā€™t going to start a petition but didnā€™t think it was far fetched for a software update because Toyota dealers recently was providing existing owners with updates to the infotainment system so Apple car play would be added in certain year vehicles. Itā€™s just wishful thinking, nothing else.
there is an active petition up at https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/toyota-supra-mk5-compensation
A whopping 66 signatures so far

digicidal

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2020 RX350, 2007 4Runner
there is an active petition up at https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/toyota-supra-mk5-compensation
A whopping 66 signatures so far
Uh yeah... ignoring the whole "Internet Petition" thing which is already pointless... look at the difference in purchasing power represented... even if every single MY20 owner in the US joined in:

Let's be really, really generous and say that there will be another 3000 sold between now and the release of the MY21's - which I'm not sure is even possible, and doubt the allocations are sufficient for this... but whatever. Let's also assume that every sale is close to top invoice of ~$52K (which we know isn't the case). That would give us 6000 total, rounding up. Total gross of ~$312M - no idea of actual profit margin but I'll say it's just under 50% exclusive of R&D, etc. (I said generous remember) So that represents $150M or so of profit. Remember that elsewhere they aren't even getting the new engine... so there's no reason to include outside US sales.

In perspective that represents around 0.3% of Toyota's ~$50B gross profits and a whopping 0.8% of their ~$17B net profits for last year.

So I think it's reasonable to assume they give less than 1% worth of a shit what they do/did to our resale values... especially in light of the fact that it wasn't a secret, was planned already, and most importantly - they held exactly zero guns to anyone's head forcing a first year purchase.

Never mind the fact that the car is still a blast to drive and (with a few notable exceptions perhaps) is still relatively reliable for a first year release and very tune-able - especially compared to anything in their lineup over the past 20 years. Now if a third of them blow up in the first year, or they start literally falling apart on the road... NOW you've got something to complain about.

Waferz

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Uh yeah... ignoring the whole "Internet Petition" thing which is already pointless... look at the difference in purchasing power represented... even if every single MY20 owner in the US joined in:

Let's be really, really generous and say that there will be another 3000 sold between now and the release of the MY21's - which I'm not sure is even possible, and doubt the allocations are sufficient for this... but whatever. Let's also assume that every sale is close to top invoice of ~$52K (which we know isn't the case). That would give us 6000 total, rounding up. Total gross of ~$312M - no idea of actual profit margin but I'll say it's just under 50% exclusive of R&D, etc. (I said generous remember) So that represents $150M or so of profit. Remember that elsewhere they aren't even getting the new engine... so there's no reason to include outside US sales.

In perspective that represents around 0.3% of Toyota's ~$50B gross profits and a whopping 0.8% of their ~$17B net profits for last year.

So I think it's reasonable to assume they give less than 1% worth of a shit what they do/did to our resale values... especially in light of the fact that it wasn't a secret, was planned already, and most importantly - they held exactly zero guns to anyone's head forcing a first year purchase.

Never mind the fact that the car is still a blast to drive and (with a few notable exceptions perhaps) is still relatively reliable for a first year release and very tune-able - especially compared to anything in their lineup over the past 20 years. Now if a third of them blow up in the first year, or they start literally falling apart on the road... NOW you've got something to complain about.
I wonā€™t say Iā€™m not a little chapped about the whole deal, but Iā€™m slowly getting over it. In the last couple days Iā€™ve went from ā€œbut I want my warrantyā€ to ā€œfuck it Iā€™m about to downpipe and tune this thingā€ lol

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Nitro, FJ Cruiser 2012
I wonā€™t say Iā€™m not a little chapped about the whole deal, but Iā€™m slowly getting over it. In the last couple days Iā€™ve went from ā€œbut I want my warrantyā€ to ā€œfuck it Iā€™m about to downpipe and tune this thingā€ lol
I am enjoying the hell out of mine. Getting more comfortable driving it, and with some break-in, it is also getting smoother. Have the front strut tower braces coming tomorrow (Cusco).

Waferz

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I am enjoying the hell out of mine. Getting more comfortable driving it, and with some break-in, it is also getting smoother. Have the front strut tower braces coming tomorrow (Cusco).
I am just about to hit 1000 miles. I canā€™t wait to break 1200 and give it the beans lol. Itā€™s a very fun car to drive

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra

Waferz

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Will any of the Cusco parts void the warranty?
Adding Cusco braces should not affect warranty whatsoever since you are not removing any factory parts and adding to existing points. I believe the mounting points are preexistent and no modification is required for the install.

In order to void any warranty the installed part would have to be in direct relation to whatever has broken.

Example: Installing coilovers will not affect your engine warranty, but if something in the suspension were to break, youā€™re probably out of luck. Toyota has to ā€œproveā€ the installed part caused the failure.

John8

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Nitro, FJ Cruiser 2012
Adding Cusco braces should not affect warranty whatsoever since you are not removing any factory parts and adding to existing points. I believe the mounting points are preexistent and no modification is required for the install.

In order to void any warranty the installed part would have to be in direct relation to whatever has broken.

Example: Installing coilovers will not affect your engine warranty, but if something in the suspension were to break, youā€™re probably out of luck. Toyota has to ā€œproveā€ the installed part caused the failure.
Did a 3 inch lift on my FJ and related changes to spacers, etc.. No effect on the warranty. The Cusco brace uses the exact threaded, and one unthreaded holes already on the car for the brace placement. No modification at all.
Sponsored