New (Unconfirmed) Details and Specifications of US-Spec MKV Supra:

Would you consider a single trim, 350hp, 3300lbs/1500kg luxury A90 Supra at $60k+?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MA617M

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
lots
square set-up is horribly underrated. I have a theory - based on some of my time in auto industry - that a lot of high power RWD cars have a larger rear tyre than front to push the balance towards understeer - which for your average pleb, is safer than oversteer.

I've got 275 front and rear on my A80 (RS3s atm) and it feels as nimble and chuckable as a GT86....
Sponsored

SS900

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Supra twin turbo
Toyota had cars in their lineup back in the early 2000's that were rolled off the dealership modified and under Toyota Factory Warranty. These cars were tuned with TRD Parts. If fact I believe the new FT-86 has a few TRD upgrades you can get with the car. I am sure when the new MKV becomes available at the dealers, you may add GRMN Parts and have a slightly modified Supra at purchase.
Really? Are you really comparing TRD accessories on grocery getters to a modified A80? No offense but what was the point you are trying to make? Horsepower wise, please give me a good example of a TRD performance part that was offered to any Toyota or Scion from 2000 to current that made any difference whatsoever on power.

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
square set-up is horribly underrated. I have a theory - based on some of my time in auto industry - that a lot of high power RWD cars have a larger rear tyre than front to push the balance towards understeer - which for your average pleb, is safer than oversteer.

I've got 275 front and rear on my A80 (RS3s atm) and it feels as nimble and chuckable as a GT86....
That, and/or wanting to do straight line grip, but either way it's usually pretty meh

Matador

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'87 E30, '95 Mk4 Supra, '03 Legacy GT
A new Version of the real Supra, not just by name.
What is that for you? An $80k+ world beater?

haha fair enough - mine is a hardtop, and a fairly newer/low milage one (1999) so is still nice and stiff. Only driven an aerotop around the block once, and noticed how floppy it was...

People in this thread seem to forget that there was more than one generation, and model, of Supra.
Hardtop FTMFW!!!

Really? Are you really comparing TRD accessories on grocery getters to a modified A80? No offense but what was the point you are trying to make? Horsepower wise, please give me a good example of a TRD performance part that was offered to any Toyota or Scion from 2000 to current that made any difference whatsoever on power.
Tundra Supercharger. 505hp/550 ft-lbs tq. TRD Sport M trim on the Celica (JDM only).. there are more... couldn't be bother to think too hard at the moment.

SS900

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 Supra twin turbo
What is that for you? An $80k+ world beater?

Hardtop FTMFW!!!

Tundra Supercharger. 505hp/550 ft-lbs tq. TRD Sport M trim on the Celica (JDM only).. there are more... couldn't be bother to think too hard at the moment.
Off the lot, no way, in your dreams. Not in the U.S. anyhow.

Anyhow, this conversation is a waste of time, you got nothing.

Spilner

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
earl
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none
https://jalopnik.com/toyota-confirms-a-four-cylinder-supra-1827655518

MY FRIENDS. I come bearing good tidings. After friend-of-Jalopnik Bozi Tatarevic found documents detailing two separate Supra powertrain options, Toyota has confirmed to Road & Track that we’re getting a four-cylinder Supra. Rejoice!

Not only is more variety always good, but the Supra’s chief engineer pointed out that the four-cylinder Supra will be lighter at the nose and offer better front-end response. Plus, if there were theoretically some extremely famous engine you want to swap into the Supra then the four cylinder version will provide a lower entry point for tuners.

Per Road & Track, the chief engineer sounds completely into the idea of the four-cylinder and engine swaps as a whole:

“Road & Track web editor Chris Perkins had the chance to speak with Supra chief engineer Testsuya Tada at the Goodwood Festival of Speed a few days ago, and the Toyota employee confirmed that there will indeed be a four-cylinder Supra. Tada also elaborated, saying the four-cylinder Supra will be lighter, with “much better weight distribution” and a sharper-feeling turn-in. Tada also remarked that, for the Supra owners who plan to swap in a 2JZ engine, “please buy the four-cylinder. It will be cheaper.”

That’s the spirit I want from people designing sports cars. As for specifics, Bozi’s documents point to the following two powertrains:

The lower-powered version uses the BMW B48B20 turbocharged four-cylinder engine displacing two liters and producing 262 horsepower, while the high-power version will use the single-turbo inline-six B58B30 BMW engine and will produce 335 horsepower, according to the document.

The information comes from the internal documents of ZF that Bozi got his hands on, so it’s unsurprising to see that both powertrains will be mated to the near-ubiquitous ZF 8-speed.

Of course, some people will say they don’t want a lower-powered Supra. Some will also say that the rollout has been dragged out by Toyota, even if its us journalists and fans that have been doing the hyping. Some will say the lack of filing for a manual makes it not worth their time. Those people are all wrong; the Supra rocks and I’m excited that we’ll have more than one motor, especially because BMW makes excellent turbocharged four-cylinders.

H/T to Bozi and Road & Track!

supraboi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A70, GS300
^Lol R&T stole @lemetier's info... :lol: :rofl:

I’ll just leave this here...

B0CA2D28-B83A-4E1A-810E-F1755583E23D.jpeg
So to expand more, here’s the G29 Z4 (ZF Transmission Technical Application Guide)

The production dates go back to engineering freeze and the ones with no end date so far are the final production transmissions.

With the J29, there are only 2 models listed (equivalent to the Z4 30i and RoW M40i). That leaves a 3rd that

A: Doesn’t have a ZF transmission
B: BMW is not the applicant for the Emissions Certificate (the older SPX data list - German for Shared Emissions Index)

As to the GT86 reference, thats something for another discussion.

CE21982E-349B-45D4-AC97-BC35ED1C5D94.jpeg

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

A70TTR

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ST205 GT4, JZA70, JZA70 TT-R, S210 Athlete
it's the wrong information in regards to the 6cyl, but the 4cyl is a B48 afaik.

Tada encouraging engine swaps probably has more to do with knowing he simply cant appease some folks, and if selling a 4cyl (even if to swap) can get people to buy and enjoy his car then that's better than nothing.

plus, that 4cyl might have the 3rd pedal already.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.