First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
ā€˜21 Supra Nitro Yellow
Hey guys! Just wondering what could cause the wireless charging pad not to charge anymore.

Phone:
iPhone 12 Pro Max
Battery %: 10

It was working for one week and then when placed on this week, no blue light was on to indicate it was charging.

Prior of the situation, I had no case on the phone and it charged the phone. Now that I have a case (which is slim) it doesnā€™t charge whatsoever. Iā€™ve also took off the case and try to replicate the same charge.

Of course... Nothing happened.

Thinking I should take it to dealership and let them check it out.
Sponsored

VA90

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Any chance you changed your case? My wife has a thick Otterbox case on her 12, and it doesn't charge on our other car's pad either, while my slim case charges just fine. I'm guessing you've already considered this, but wanted to ask anyway.

OP
OP
Jaydee

Jaydee

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
ā€˜21 Supra Nitro Yellow
Any chance you changed your case? My wife has a thick Otterbox case on her 12, and it doesn't charge on our other car's pad either, while my slim case charges just fine. I'm guessing you've already considered this, but wanted to ask anyway.
Ah I shouldā€™ve said something in the regards of that.

Prior of the situation, I had no case on the phone and it charged the phone. Now that I have a case (which is slim) it doesnā€™t charge whatsoever. Iā€™ve also took off the case and try to replicate the same charge.

Of course... Nothing happened.

OP
OP
Jaydee

Jaydee

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
ā€˜21 Supra Nitro Yellow
Posting in right thread... Continued discussion there...

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Before you take it to the dealer, do you have another wireless charging capable phone you can try?
I don't know if there is a setting in iPhone, but go thru them. Also, go thru the Supra's setting as well and make sure wireless charging is on. Sometimes things change with update, etc, etc.. Also, have you tried placing the phone in both directions, as is facing passenger vs driver...
Just so that you don't look like a fool at the dealer :)

I've an old gen iPhone 6S so can't use it, but my Samsung GS20U charges nicely.

Last edited:

diablo2112

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 BMW M3 Competition
IMHO, the wireless charging as implemented by BMW is total garbage. It's not just a charger. There's a repeater as well that connects the phone's antenna to an auxilary antenna in the roof. Link to the manual/info for the repeater module here.

There's a complicated detection and handoff to get all this working, and (again, in my opinion), it's doing something that causes the iPhone to dramatically overheat. And, I'm guessing that same complicated detection routine is what's not allowing your phone to charge. Just 10 minutes on the pad, and my iphone gets noticeably warm. An hour, and its almost too hot to touch. That can't be good.

And for the final kicker, you technically have register this repeater with the FCC. The website is buried in the manual. Among other craziness, in order to register this with the FCC, you need to provide the unique serial number for the repeater module. And of course, this info isn't provided by BMW. Total FUBAR here.

OP
OP
Jaydee

Jaydee

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
ā€˜21 Supra Nitro Yellow
Before you take it to the dealer, do you have another wireless charging capable phone you can try?
I don't know if there is a setting in iPhone, but go thru them. Also, go thru the Supra's setting as well and make sure wireless charging is on. Sometimes things change with update, etc, etc.. Also, have you tried placing the phone in both directions, as is facing passenger vs driver...
Just so that you don't look like a fool at the dealer :)

I've an old gen iPhone 6S so can't use it, but my Samsung GS20U charges nicely.
Yes iā€™ve turned the phone in different orientations. Going to see if someone has that so I can try that out.
IMHO, the wireless charging as implemented by BMW is total garbage. It's not just a charger. There's a repeater as well that connects the phone's antenna to an auxilary antenna in the roof. Link to the manual/info for the repeater module here.

There's a complicated detection and handoff to get all this working, and (again, in my opinion), it's doing something that causes the iPhone to dramatically overheat. And, I'm guessing that same complicated detection routine is what's not allowing your phone to charge. Just 10 minutes on the pad, and my iphone gets noticeably warm. An hour, and its almost too hot to touch. That can't be good.

And for the final kicker, you technically have register this repeater with the FCC. The website is buried in the manual. Among other craziness, in order to register this with the FCC, you need to provide the unique serial number for the repeater module. And of course, this info isn't provided by BMW. Total FUBAR here.
Yeah I was reading other threads and I saw that others were having overheating issues. I experienced this too with the iPhone being hot to the touch.

That was going to be my second thing in just getting a phone holder and using USB to charge my phone. Iā€™ll look into what you said though for sure.

OP
OP
Jaydee

Jaydee

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Car(s)
ā€˜21 Supra Nitro Yellow
Solved for the time being.

Hard restart iPhone and place on wireless charger again...
Apparently thereā€™s a bug roaming around with 14.2/14.3 iOS.

Either way, this doesnā€™t fix the fact that our phones turn into hot bricks when placed on the charger in the car.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone!
Sponsored