No upcoming STI until electric

Bryster

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nothing,considering a Civic DX
I believe it is along the lines of what Thill444 was saying above...

Also even if this now abandoned version of the WRX STI *did* pass the emissions regulations it needs to meet how many years of production would it be able to be sold in various markets while still meeting various emissions requirements as a pure gasoline-turbo engine with a manual transmission?

The GR86 is itself only going to be available in greater Europe for a couple of model years before it will not pass Euro emission standards by then. Subaru must be facing something similar.

The Supra and V6TT Z will be up against the same issue before long. Subaru seems to have bigger issues with their niche flagship high performance model than the other competing Japanese automakers with deeper financial pockets.

I know we will see another STI again but it will be a hybrid-electric at minimum.

Subaru had just better not turn it into a "sporty" crossover or SUV. More than electrification that really is the true death knell for any beloved niche high performance car.
Will SubieNation have to switch to E-cigs now?
Sponsored

Toast

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, GR86
I bought a '17 WRX new with the intention of trading it in on a next gen STI which was supposed to be just a few years out. After 70K miles and no STI in sight, I decided to make the WRX my winter car and buy the '21 Supra for three season fun. I'm pretty happy with the combo for northern NYS, and now I'm really glad I gave up on the STI.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
I bought a '17 WRX new with the intention of trading it in on a next gen STI which was supposed to be just a few years out. After 70K miles and no STI in sight, I decided to make the WRX my winter car and buy the '21 Supra for three season fun. I'm pretty happy with the combo for northern NYS, and now I'm really glad I gave up on the STI.
I have the same setup here. '21 Supra as my primary DD most months of the year, and a '12 WRX hatchback for carrying large loads and winter driving. I think it's a great combo. The WRX is getting older now so I was thinking about trading it in for a newer STi in the coming years, but I might have to find something else now.

Toast

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra, GR86
I was thinking about trading it in for a newer STi in the coming years, but I might have to find something else now.
The Supra ruined me. When the WRX is done I'll probably get a truck, especially since I'm moving to OKC this year. Anything else remotely utilitarian feels like such a letdown to drive, so a truck feels equivalent to a WRX to me now if there's no snow to drift through :)

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'93 Lexus SC300 2JZGTE R154 LSD & 2023 GR86 6MT
Will SubieNation have to switch to E-cigs now?
I'd have liked to see a final WRX STI in this generation with just a more powerful FA24 engine. The STI treatment would have saved the new crossover-ish WRX. It's disappointing and abrupt news.

Emissions regulations have also killed off the R35 GTR in most of Europe as well as of this month. So far we still get it in the U.S. and I assume Japan still does.

Subaru isn't the only manufacturer of a popular niche high performance model with a long history that is having trouble and having to shift into some form of electrification.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This article from Bestcar even further confirms what Subaru is up against with emissions, at least for export sales of their high performance models.

It looks like 2025 (for model year 2026) is when whatever Subaru was developing with the shelved WRX STI engine design would become increasingly difficult to sell at least in Europe and possibly within Japan as well.

VIew in the Google Chrome browser for auto-translation:

https://bestcarweb.jp/feature/column/391991?prd=1

Thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Turbulence, 2021 Jeep Rubicon 4xe
Was the STi even sold in Europe for the last generation? I’m not sure it was.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I thought it was sold in Europe. It's their most storied and large market for their rally cars besides the U.S.

KahnBB6

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Japan and Australia?
Yes, of course Japan and Australia as well. And New Zealand. I figured that we all assumed the Japanese market to be a given since all Japanese manufacturers tend to offer all manner of fun special editions that the rest of the world (usually) does not get.
Sponsored