Not sure if the engine is knocking or it’s just the sound of the injectors pulsing

OP
OP
Tettros

Tettros

First Name
Tettros
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 premium Supra
Update 2: If anyone is curious as to what it sounds now. Again, I’m not sure how the problem “resolved” itself or if there are external factors that played a role. I’m just happy it’s back to normal. Only downside is now I’m going to wait a bit longer before adding performance mods so I don’t void the warranty. Disappointed in how unreliable these bmw engines can be, but even more disappointed since I thought that the B58 is a great platform and semi-reliable for a BMW engine

Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tettros

Tettros

First Name
Tettros
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 premium Supra
Have you been able to replicate? Mine does something similar, but it only does it at idle and when cold. At first, I thought maybe something was loose, but it completely goes away after it warms up. No CEL, normal oil levels. 500 miles on the ODO.
The video of the car at night was when the car was completely warm, and it still had the rattling noise. The second video I posted is when the car was cold, and you can clearly hear the rattle. Today, the sound completely disappeared, even when the engine was cold. Could be quality of gas, altitude, or a multitude of factors. I will keep an eye on it, however, and see if it ever returns. If it does, I’ll try and get to the bottom of it

Reactions: JST

Rocksandblues

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, e46 M3, diesel BMW e90, GL450
Update 2: If anyone is curious as to what it sounds now. Again, I’m not sure how the problem “resolved” itself or if there are external factors that played a role. I’m just happy it’s back to normal. Only downside is now I’m going to wait a bit longer before adding performance mods so I don’t void the warranty. Disappointed in how unreliable these bmw engines can be, but even more disappointed since I thought that the B58 is a great platform and semi-reliable for a BMW engine

The b58 has proven itself to be insanely reliable. I am sorry you had a weird noise. Certainly an outlier

BMWs have their quirks. But it is in those quirks you learn your car and it learns you. There becomes a bond w a BMW that is hard for other owners to understand

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Only because someone mentioned bad gas and you had very little miles on it... gas with ethanol (up to 10% here in Florida regardless of octane) if in your tank for too long, will attract water. Many gas stations sell non ethanol gas if you look for it. Which is especially useful if you're going to store you car for long periods (for track or collecting cars) or you don't drive it much. Just food for thought...

Edit: I did have to drain a Honda Jet ski tank because like a dumbass I left Costco gas (not their fault it has ethanol in it!) in the tank all winter. Yes I live in Florida but it sat for 3 months regardless... what a mess. Found out from other "boat" owners, you just don't do that.... I know now! 😂

Last edited:
OP
OP
Tettros

Tettros

First Name
Tettros
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 premium Supra
Only because someone mentioned bad gas and you had very little miles on it... gas with ethanol (up to 10% here in Florida regardless of octane) if in your tank for too long, will attract water. Many gas stations sell non ethanol gas if you look for it. Which is especially useful if you're going to store you car for long periods (for track or collecting cars) or you don't drive it much. Just food for thought...

Edit: I did have to drain a Honda Jet ski tank because like a dumbass I left Costco gas (not their fault it has ethanol in it!) in the tank all winter. Yes I live in Florida but it sat for 3 months regardless... what a mess. Found out from other "boat" owners, you just don't do that.... I know now! 😂
It’s daily driven. Just got it a month ago. Definitely not sitting for long periods…

OP
OP
Tettros

Tettros

First Name
Tettros
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 premium Supra
So that second video is with it resolved? Mine sounds exactly like that at idle, hot or cold.
Yes, second video is what I believe it should sound like. Not sure how it resolved itself. Since this post, I’ve added 600 miles more to the car and it runs smoothly with no CEL

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
I'd personally take it in and have the dealer note the complaint so it's in your file. The car is still breaking-in, and making breaking-in noises and smells, so just keep an eye (ear?) on it in the coming weeks to see what develops. The 2nd video is what these cars sound like.

Sigg

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Mk5,Supra 2018 KTM SuperDuke, 21 sienna plat
Absolutely your TU HPFP being loud. They are loud. I have the new Sienna, D4S engine has port and DI, you can absolutely hear the DI kick in. Bro has a 21 Rav4 and mom has the Gv80 which also has Dual injection. Di pumps are just ticky and loud, mechanical pump after all. That TU pump is putting down some SERIOUS BAR for a single pump.
Sponsored