Oil extraction - is it possible

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra MKV, 86 944 Turbo
I have an oil extractor I use in my 944 Porsche turbo because it has a dipstick and I can go down the dipstick tube and extract the oil. Easy Peezy, however, on the Supra there is no dipstick. Is there any way you can extract oil on this car from above or only through draining it through the oil pan?
Sponsored

Uwatm8

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Acura RDX, CLS63 AMG
Itā€™s certainly possible, but itā€™s documented that using the oil extraction method leaves a ton of old oil left in the sump.

its really easy to drain the oil in this car, i Personally wouldnā€™t extract it from the top.

OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thereā€™s a little bit more to the story, I think, Iā€™m not sure, but I think, I may have potentially stripped the old pan drain plug, or at least began to strip it. Crazy part is I was barely giving out any twerk by hand with a small ratchet. Itā€™s good for now, but if they I take it out and itā€™s stripped, thatā€™s it. Iā€™ll need to drill it out or pull the pan, neither of which I really want to do. I figured if I could extract it I can push that problem off too much later.

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
Thereā€™s a little bit more to the story, I think, Iā€™m not sure, but I think, I may have potentially stripped the old pan drain plug, or at least began to strip it. Crazy part is I was barely giving out any twerk by hand with a small ratchet. Itā€™s good for now, but if they I take it out and itā€™s stripped, thatā€™s it. Iā€™ll need to drill it out or pull the pan, neither of which I really want to do. I figured if I could extract it I can push that problem off too much later.
Well without a dipstick tube I cant see any way to use the extraction method. Might be a good idea to buy yourself an intermediate tap of the correct thread dimension and pull the drain plug. Run the tap through the sump threads and see how it goes.
Drilling the plug threads and fitting a Helicoil isn't the end of the world although I don't know how much room you have around the drain plug for a drill etc. A Timesert repair is also preferable to a Helicoil in my opining as well.

Phil

MYA90SUPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra premium
You could use cat certs to fix the plug also. They are like timecerts, but have 4 locking tags that keep the insert from coming out. The biggest downfall to them is the hole size you need drill to fit the insert.

OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
ā€œCat certā€? Is that the full name? I searched and didnā€™t see what you described.

Eddy90

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra MT
Upsize the drain hole from a M12 to M14 with a tap, and replace the M12 drain plug with a valved M14x1.5. At least that way you arent doing to worry about stripping the stupid weak threads again lol.

Time-serts are also an option, but taking a drill pit into a pan seems scary.

lucky phil

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra GTS 2024 MT, Kia Stonic GT, Mazda CX5 GT SP
Upsize the drain hole from a M12 to M14 with a tap, and replace the M12 drain plug with a valved M14x1.5. At least that way you arent doing to worry about stripping the stupid weak threads again lol.

Time-serts are also an option, but taking a drill pit into a pan seems scary.
Yep you can do that. If you are going to upsize the plug the 14x1.5 looks like the most popular drain plug thread size. That means you only need to remove .5 or 1/2 mm from the existing hole with the drill. Should be pretty easy as long as the access is ok. Also make up a tapping guide to get it square with the hole.

Phil

Davidr3

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What makes you think it's stripped?

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Schrodinger's oil pan

OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You know that feeling you get when your tightening a bolt and itā€™s snug, but your think it still needs a pinch more to be safe and when you turn it it to snug it up that little bit more it rotates but doesnā€™t get tighter.

thatā€™s why I think, just that gut feeling.

MYA90SUPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra premium
You know that feeling you get when your tightening a bolt and itā€™s snug, but your think it still needs a pinch more to be safe and when you turn it it to snug it up that little bit more it rotates but doesnā€™t get tighter.

thatā€™s why I think, just that gut feeling.
I recommend a good torque wrench for that drain plug.

OP
OP
Last Lemming

Last Lemming

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I have a SnapOn TW, but I used a small hand ratchet so I couldnā€™t put too much torque into it. Iā€™ve read several stories on this forum and others that say they stripped the plug using a torque wrench and torquing to spec.
Sponsored