Sponsored

calmeda1

First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
My fronts are PS4S and rears are PSS. I was going to change to full PS4S, but got a flat on the rears and they got replaced by warranty. Shortly after I changed the fronts to 4S. No issues at all and grip is very good. Eventually I'm going to change the rears to 4S tho. In your case if the fronts still have some meat, I would upgrade the rears to 4S and then upgrade the fronts when time comes

mkvB58KING

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
I'd get a PS4S on the rear ASAP and the front when you can. The stock PSS tires aren't great. I run two completely different brands front/rear.

Bald Guy

First Name
Sonny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
C8, Zs, Type Rs, Rubicon 392s, and more.
I wouldn't mix and match different brands and different compound tires on a performance car but that's just me. Mixing new and old of the same brand and same compound tire is okay to me though (front vs rear).

Bigjsn250

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra
I'd get a PS4S on the rear ASAP and the front when you can. The stock PSS tires aren't great. I run two completely different brands front/rear.
looking at your sig, I am assuming you are running a drag radial/R compound out back, thus the reason for two different brands. That’s really the only time you want to mix match.

bushido

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, N180 4Runner
Rears are shot.
WHICH COMBO IS BEST?

OLD PSS(FRONT) NEW PS4S(REAR)
OR
OLD PSS(FRONT) NEW PSS(REAR)
OR
NEW PS4S(FRONT) NEW PS4S(REAR)
the mentioned tires don't have any significant difference in grip, so you can run both. the PSS will feel rough-riding compared to the PS4S, that's it

that reason + how much of a better overall tire the PS4S is, aim for having all 4 of this one. if you have to mix and match because buying rears first and fronts later, there's no issue whatever-- it's not like you're doing RT660s front and PS4S rear

Last edited:

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
I would get the grippier tires and mount them on the rears and swap the front to those same model tires when the fronts are done.

oreobbq

First Name
oreo
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 A91 Refraction Blue
PS4S is the better tire by 80085%

Option c, wait another 3 years for the mythical pss5.

Noctb48MD

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Nocturnal B48, 2019 Blazer 2lt
I run PSS on fronts and PS all season 4 on the rears. On my second set of fronts and rears on this set up with 50k miles.

Phantomx

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium
I run PS4 AS on the front PS4S on the rear. Depends on how you drive the car, do you autocross, track days just drag strip will determine the best tire setup. Many people who don’t say track/autox there cars and just like the drag aspect run a drag radial or similar tire out back and whatever they want up front, it’s fairly common.

mkvB58KING

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
looking at your sig, I am assuming you are running a drag radial/R compound out back, thus the reason for two different brands. That’s really the only time you want to mix match.
Yes, I have a dedicated MT drag pack for the track, but my street setup is different front and rear as well. The only reason for this was availability, I wanted NT555R2 all around but the fronts weren't available so I went with RE71R.

Rupert

First Name
Rupert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra
Reading this thread with interest, I'm just at the limit on the standard PSS rear after only 10,000kms, that's a bit more than 6000 miles. I know not great tyre life but that's almost exclusively mountain road driving, tight and twisties on off the throttle constantly and hundreds of tight hairpin exits. Trouble is I really don't like the standard tyres especially the rears and the fronts are good for at least another set of rears. I'm tempted to go for one set of Goodyear eagle F1's on the back until the front PSS are a bit more worn. I know it's not ideal but I can't chuck 400€ of tyres away. Thoughts anybody.

bushido

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A90 Supra, N180 4Runner
Reading this thread with interest, I'm just at the limit on the standard PSS rear after only 10,000kms, that's a bit more than 6000 miles. I know not great tyre life but that's almost exclusively mountain road driving, tight and twisties on off the throttle constantly and hundreds of tight hairpin exits. Trouble is I really don't like the standard tyres especially the rears and the fronts are good for at least another set of rears. I'm tempted to go for one set of Goodyear eagle F1's on the back until the front PSS are a bit more worn. I know it's not ideal but I can't chuck 400€ of tyres away. Thoughts anybody.
oh hey it's that guy from the country i hadn't heard of! :)

in the dry, you'll gain a significant amount of understeer. in the wet, you'll have TONS of oversteer. your driving will have to adjust to the point you might not enjoy the car anymore lol. better off grabbing all four
Sponsored