Out of State Car Purchase & Registration

jmulk

First Name
Jimothy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
VW GTI
So I finally found a good enough deal, went to the dealership to close but they need to replace the battery and activate the navigation, so we couldn't close the deal that day.

When I was I working with the finance manager, I spoke with the title officer and she said that because I'm buying a car in NY but registering it in CT that the temporary registration would likely expire before I would get my registration/plate transferred which would leave me without a car to drive as the supra will be my only car.

Now I'm second guessing purchasing the car. Has anyone ran into this issue?
Sponsored

Last edited:

NewGuy

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0 Premium,18 X5 M
So I finally found a good enough deal, went to the dealership to close but they need to replace the battery and activate the navigation, so we couldn't close the deal that day.

When I was I working with the finance manager, I spoke with the title officer and she said that because I'm buying a car in NY but registering it in CT that the temporary registration would likely expire before I would get my registration/plate transferred which would leave me without a car to drive. Now I'm second guessing purchasing the car. Has anyone ran into this issue?
Are you able to get a temporary moving pass from your local dmv? In Nevada you are able to move your vehicle without plates if you have proof that the vehicle is registered. You just print out the confirmation and keep it with you in case you get pulled over.

Zupra1776

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 MKV Supra and floating toys.
Check DMV website. They have temporary plates/registrations for this type of thing. They don't miss any opportunity to gather more of your money due to their inability to process things quickly.

OP
OP
jmulk

jmulk

First Name
Jimothy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
VW GTI
So NY wouldn't be able to do more than 30 days on in-transit temporary permit and it can't be renewed.
CT allows for a 10 day one-time temporary registration and that would require paying the sales tax then (which I already payed the dealership).

NewGuy

First Name
Jose
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Supra 3.0 Premium,18 X5 M
So NY wouldn't be able to do more than 30 days on in-transit temporary permit and it can't be renewed.
CT allows for a 10 day one-time temporary registration and that would require paying the sales tax then (which I already payed the dealership).
Are you able to ask the dealership if you can pay taxes at registration? Correct me if I'm wrong but I heard that tesla finances the car and you pay taxes at registration at the dmv. Maybe that can be an option for other cars and not just teslas?

Last edited:

GreyMadder

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Tungsten A90 Premium, 08 Tundra, 04 GX470
Must be an NY thing. I bought my car out of state they issued me temp tags from that state then registered it in my state for me and tags mailed to my house. Thats why I pay tag, title and fees in the purchase price, the dealer should be doing the leg work.

ToyoBMW

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE, 2004 S2000, 1999 Carrera
If you have a 2nd car, just leave the Supra parked until you get the registration

Natek

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 launch
I bought a car in florida while living in new york and i bought a car in both virginia and indiana while living in ohio. In all cases the dealerships were able to provide temp tags for the state in which the car was being purchased from to legally transport it back to my home address. Hell, the supra came from virignia back to ohio on temp tags and i took it on a road trip to new york and back with the virginia temp tags.

antonio88x

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium (mine), 2018 CX-5 GT (wife's)
I bought my car out of state in NY and registered in FL. The dealer took the tax for the car, but gave it to me in a check from the dealership written to the Florida DMV. But in reality, I didn't need to pay the dealer any of the tax. They gave me the 30 day transit tag (not a temporary registration since it was never registered in NY). Then when I got to FL, I went to the DMV, they looked at the sale paperwork and calculated the taxes, and I signed over the dealer check. The dealer ended up taking more money than they should've, so the DMV issued me a check for the difference. It was actually pretty easy overall.

RenRed2

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 BMW M240i / 23 BMW M2

When I was I working with the finance manager, I spoke with the title officer and she said that because I'm buying a car in NY but registering it in CT that the temporary registration would likely expire before I would get my registration/plate transferred which would leave me without a car to drive. Now I'm second guessing purchasing the car. Has anyone ran into this issue?
Check your DMV website or call them. Have purchased 2 cars via out of state method. The selling dealer provided temp tag for 1 and the hard plate for the other for the state I live in. Taxes paid to the dealer at the rate for the state I live in. Was easy and pleasant for both.

ToyoBMW

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra LE, 2004 S2000, 1999 Carrera
I think it's best to not pay taxes to the out of state dealer. They should just take care of the in state stuff, like temp tags for you to operate the car. Go to your home state to take care of the registration and taxes

OP
OP
jmulk

jmulk

First Name
Jimothy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
VW GTI
I think it's best to not pay taxes to the out of state dealer. They should just take care of the in state stuff, like temp tags for you to operate the car. Go to your home state to take care of the registration and taxes
I'm financing the car since I have no loans right now (drops your credit score) and pretty sure the dealer is required to register the car if it has a lien against it.

OP
OP
jmulk

jmulk

First Name
Jimothy
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
VW GTI
I bought my car out of state in NY and registered in FL. The dealer took the tax for the car, but gave it to me in a check from the dealership written to the Florida DMV. But in reality, I didn't need to pay the dealer any of the tax. They gave me the 30 day transit tag (not a temporary registration since it was never registered in NY). Then when I got to FL, I went to the DMV, they looked at the sale paperwork and calculated the taxes, and I signed over the dealer check. The dealer ended up taking more money than they should've, so the DMV issued me a check for the difference. It was actually pretty easy overall.
Did you have a loan on the car?

Traxion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
This is speculation and uninformed since I know different states handle things differently, but I really think the dealership should be able to provide you with a second 30 day temp tag. In TN my dealer was expecting my temp tag to expire before I got my new plate because the county they're located in was taking up to 2 months for them to process new plates. They told me to just email them and come in for a new temp tag a couple days before the first one ran out. They could probably mail you the second temp tag if it's far away from you.

At least here, the dealer themselves really just print it off right there in the finance manager's office.
Sponsored