Paddle Shifter Install - help

Mark5

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 M2
Hi! Can anyone in the area help w/ these maybe over the weekend? Or recommend a shop/mechanic that's not going to charge $200. Thanks!
Sponsored

SupBrother

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
Probably one of the most time consuming installations. Just pay the price. There’s risk involved as well per the air bag. $200 seems like a fair deal. I suggest upgrading your steering wheel at the same time to install both.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
All it takes is a small common screwdriver and a small torx bit (I forget the size). I swapped mine just last weekend, it took around 5-10 minutes. There are plenty of videos online to show you the process.

STV3

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium
Yeah, def something worth doing yourself. The only thing that can be troublesome is getting the airbag out. Watch a few youtube videos and then have at it. Where are you located?

BadOne

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra A91 Edition (Refraction Blue)
I think there's a bros4speed video showing how to do it, you know, if you're willing to watch one of his videos.

Probably better to just pay somebody to do it.

BillyLong42

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium
Struggle with the airbag for 10mins, pull a couple plugs and screws and your done. +1 for the steering wheel replacement as its a step in the transfer anyway. :thumbsup:

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Just don’t remove the steering wheel like some videos show. That’s not necessary if all you do are the paddles.

OP
OP

Mark5

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 M2
Yeah, def something worth doing yourself. The only thing that can be troublesome is getting the airbag out. Watch a few youtube videos and then have at it. Where are you located?
Hi, I'm in Hohokus NJ, in Bergen County. I watched a couple of videos but for some reason have a mental block on removing the airbag portion and fidgeting with the battery 😆

I felt like buying the actual carbon pedal shifters was already pretty expensive and just thought I'd save some money. I don't mind paying someone to install it but $200 seems a bit steep!

esoulliard

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium
One thing that helped me was using a torx or hex key to release the airbag (anything with a flat end). If you use a small screwdriver, the blade can slip through the coils of the springs. If you happen to be in the Philadelphia area, I can help.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
One thing that helped me was using a torx or hex key to release the airbag (anything with a flat end). If you use a small screwdriver, the blade can slip through the coils of the springs. If you happen to be in the Philadelphia area, I can help.
If you do use a flathead screwdriver, you want to orient it so it's pointed fore/aft instead of up and down. That'll keep it from slipping between the coils of the spring.

OP
OP

Mark5

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 M2
So I'm at this place called Nextgen Auto in Closter NJ and they're saying they have to take the entire wheel off and will much more labor intensive... I'm probably gonna get eaten alive

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
So I'm at this place called Nextgen Auto in Closter NJ and they're saying they have to take the entire wheel off and will much more labor intensive... I'm probably gonna get eaten alive
I hope you laughed in their face and left. The wheel DOES NOT have to come off. Don’t let any one tell you differently.

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I hope you laughed in their face and left. The wheel DOES NOT have to come off. Don’t let any one tell you differently.
And even if it did, the airbag is the only time-consuming part and it has to come off regardless. Like @zrk said, once the airbag is off, pulling the wheel is like 2 simple connectors and 1 bolt, it takes no time at all.

paulnur

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 3.0 Premium
Where are you located? I’ll do it in 20min for you. I did my 2 weeks ago. I’m in south FL 🤙🏼

A105428B-0FC7-4EA1-8660-9B221EE47EFF.jpeg

Sponsored