gtshnzr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Prem., 2015 Subaru XV, 2003 MINI JCW, 1972 TR6
Vehicle Showcase
Hmmm .... Will take a closer look at mine, but it seems fine. Installer used Xpel PPF, and he commented on how difficult it was to get the front bumper done right. Car was one month old when I had the PPF installed on 10/11/20 and it is a 7/20 build. Not sure if this correlates with @Snorlax27 build date.

B19429CA-FC43-4BED-9373-E67F1CEDF5B3.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
Snorlax27

Snorlax27

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 1995 E36 M3
Hmmm .... Will take a closer look at mine, but it seems fine. Installer used Xpel PPF, and he commented on how difficult it was to get the front bumper done right. Car was one month old when I had the PPF installed on 10/11/20 and it is a 7/20 build. Not sure if this correlates with @Snorlax27 build date.

B19429CA-FC43-4BED-9373-E67F1CEDF5B3.jpeg
I believe my build date is 12/19.

Here is the end result. Front bumper was repainted and STEK PPF was installed. Iā€™m happy with the outcome and they gave me a discount for all the trouble.

In regards to the paint, it appears red on these vehicles has its handful of issues. Thereā€™s a gentleman on YouTube who pointed out problems on his paint with a red GR Supra (clear coat specs, etc.). Apparently BMW paint isnā€™t the greatest. Having PPF installed on a car is a reasonable alternative to doing paint repairs every couple of weeks.

Attachments

Jree

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Red 3.0P
0FED30DC-4C2E-4BA7-A766-98F5994216F1.jpeg
CAF7A10A-2E2B-477B-B793-58887C5A7230.jpeg

yep mine is full custom Xpel PPF with folded edges. The hood was the hardest part due to how big it is.
The reason itā€™s custom is really cuz of the hood. All PPF printers are only able to print part of the hood and not the entire thing.

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
I believe my build date is 12/19.

Here is the end result. Front bumper was repainted and STEK PPF was installed. Iā€™m happy with the outcome and they gave me a discount for all the trouble.

In regards to the paint, it appears red on these vehicles has its handful of issues. Thereā€™s a gentleman on YouTube who pointed out problems on his paint with a red GR Supra (clear coat specs, etc.). Apparently BMW paint isnā€™t the greatest. Having PPF installed on a car is a reasonable alternative to doing paint repairs every couple of weeks.
discount? They should of done the entire thing for free. Lol They messed up your new car and you had to get your front bumper repainted (devalues the car)

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
discount? They should of done the entire thing for free. Lol They messed up your new car and you had to get your front bumper repainted (devalues the car)
While clearbra has a strong adhesive backing, it is not strong enough to lift factory paint nor properly done aftermarket paint especially while the installation is fresh.

As with wet vinyl installs, clearbra reaches 100% adhesive strength only after it has fully dried (usually takes at minimum several days in the hot sun, if not weeks if garaged).

I would not blame the installer either.

OP
OP
Snorlax27

Snorlax27

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra, 1995 E36 M3
What consumer would argue with a free install? Of course for free would be the optimal outcome for a consumer. Although the install was less than perfect, I think the way we handled business was fair and reasonable. In fairness to the PPF installer, there was already road rash on the corner of the front bumper as the car was a dealer demo. That all got taken care of with the respray.

To be frank, I have no intention on parting with the car and Iā€™m happy with the results. Could things have been handled better? Sure, but I am not gonna dwell on past issues that have already been resolved.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
Honestly a repaint on a bumper will not devalue a car all that much if any unless some Supra fanatic was looking specifically for factory-only-painted car as a collector's car.

I'm sure there are MANY people driving new cars that they think are using all factory paint, but with transportation damage that are repaired without any notice to the buyer, sold as new, it's just a matter of chance you have an all-factory painted car.

Especially if privately sold, one can explain why the bumper was repainted (if Carfax somehow showed it) and if the car looks great, I as a buyer, would not care.

I sound boring, I'll quit now before I put myself to sleep.

gtshnzr

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Prem., 2015 Subaru XV, 2003 MINI JCW, 1972 TR6
Vehicle Showcase
0FED30DC-4C2E-4BA7-A766-98F5994216F1.jpeg
CAF7A10A-2E2B-477B-B793-58887C5A7230.jpeg

yep mine is full custom Xpel PPF with folded edges. The hood was the hardest part due to how big it is.
The reason itā€™s custom is really cuz of the hood. All PPF printers are only able to print part of the hood and not the entire thing.
We need to get you some graphics, ā€œbro!ā€

6425A9F7-0A90-43E7-AA34-A414AC4E4827.jpeg

nepasupra

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
So fun update...
I have a 2020 red one, got it end of Summer in 2020. I never went over the paint with a microscope to look for the small what look like blemishes like some of these other guys but it looked very good until within 6mos of ownership the front bumper clear coat went into full clear coat failure with huge chunks flaking/falling off. I got the first issue fixed and covered.

Now I have 2 new parts of the car going into clear coat failure, the top front hood and the back bumper. The front hood they are covering but apparently the field rep gave a lot of push back and tried making claim that it was caused by bird droppings.. service manager guess walked him off that cliff.. my car is garage kept.. rinsed off after almost every drive, especially if there was bird dropping.. anyways, the rep, however, made the decision to deny the back bumper and is claiming it is from debris despite service manager showing case history and it is known issue.

Not even full 2yrs of ownership and over half the car is in clear coat failure. I would HIGHLY advise staying FAR AWAY from the 20s Red.. I haven't even received any type of offer from Toyota to "buy back" the car like what I have seen others comment on the forum. I had to open case now with Toyota corp over this and was also encouraged to start bringing up lemon law to get this dealt with. Really sad.

old post: https://www.supramkv.com/threads/2020-red-3-0-supra-clear-coat-peeling-off-on-bumper.9953/
Sponsored