Parts section

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra 45th, Mikan 2008 Mazda MX5 PRHT manual
I suggested that this site add a "Parts" topic where I can post "Toyota and BMW dealership collaboration"
I think this is very important when dealing with warranty service.
Thanks, management.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Okay, here's what I believe to be a not-uncommon issue, based upon my experience.

Scenario: (car is under warranty) A dealership tech identifies a failed part that requires many hours to replace.
The dealership orders the part through Toyota, only to find that there is a long estimated arrival date or there is no date given for the part.

Yet if you call a BMW dealership parts department and give the parts person your GR Supra VIN number, that person can often give you the BMW part number, its cost, and where it can be found.
(if they don't have it at their location)

However, the Toyota dealership cannot order from a BMW dealership. Apparently, there is no collaboration between Toyota and BMW dealerships, even though both auto companies have worked together on the GR Supra project.

A BMW service shop has no such issue, but if you have them do the replacement, the cost could be very high when the job takes 4-6 hours to complete.

Question: Should we just accept this non-sensible disconnection between these two companies when it comes to parts acquisitions?

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
Okay, here's what I believe to be a not-uncommon issue, based upon my experience.

Scenario: (car is under warranty) A dealership tech identifies a failed part that requires many hours to replace.
The dealership orders the part through Toyota, only to find that there is a long estimated arrival date or there is no date given for the part.

Yet if you call a BMW dealership parts department and give the parts person your GR Supra VIN number, that person can often give you the BMW part number, its cost, and where it can be found.
(if they don't have it at their location)

However, the Toyota dealership cannot order from a BMW dealership. Apparently, there is no collaboration between Toyota and BMW dealerships, even though both auto companies have worked together on the GR Supra project.

A BMW service shop has no such issue, but if you have them do the replacement, the cost could be very high when the job takes 4-6 hours to complete.

Question: Should we just accept this non-sensible disconnection between these two companies when it comes to parts acquisitions?
What?? What would having a whole section on the forum accomplish?? What are you trying to accomplish. Some forum online isn't going to change the bmw/Toyota logistics.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
People already post in the general section asking for parts numbers and people like @razorlab or @zrk gives us parts numbers for Toyota and sometimes the BMW counterpart.
He is more asking why, if "Toyota" parts for the Supra are actually just BMW parts (which btw he challenged me on months ago), why can't Toyota dealers just order BMW parts that are more easily kept in stock for warranty repairs.

The answer is....

200w.gif

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
He is more asking why, if "Toyota" parts for the Supra are actually just BMW parts (which btw he challenged me on months ago), why can't Toyota dealers just order BMW parts that are more easily kept in stock for warranty repairs.

The answer is....

200w.gif
I understand that. But why does he want a whole section on this forum to discuss it lol. It's not going to change anything.

OP
OP
concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What?? What would having a whole section on the forum accomplish?? What are you trying to accomplish. Some forum online isn't going to change the bmw/Toyota logistics.
The section would be generically titled "Parts" and thus have individual discussions about part-related issues.
My description is simply a sample- based upon my own experience.

Also, just because you hear, "Well that's the way it's always been so there is no way it can be changed."
doesn't mean it has to be that way.

Many people really believe that once a law is established, it cannot be changed. Yet often, the voice of those most adversely affected by that law, raise their voices and bring about change. Let's think outside the box and not just accept the "status quo".

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
The section would be generically titled "Parts" and thus have individual discussions about part-related issues.
My description is simply a sample- based upon my own experience.

Also, just because you hear, "Well that's the way it's always been so there is no way it can be changed."
doesn't mean it has to be that way.

Many people really believe that once a law is established, it cannot be changed. Yet often, the voice of those most adversely affected by that law, raise their voices and bring about change. Let's think outside the box and not just accept the "status quo".
Dude, you didn't even believe BMW parts where the same last month but now you want to start a revolution. Give it a rest. You would probably whaaambulance about the same thing if you where trying to have your VW Routan serviced and VW couldn't get parts from Chrysler in a timely fashion. Guess what, the dealer and VW would also tell you to kick rocks.

OP
OP
concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dude, you didn't even believe BMW parts where the same last month but now you want to start a revolution. Give it a rest. You would probably whaaambulance about the same thing if you where trying to have your VW Routan serviced and VW couldn't get parts from Chrysler in a timely fashion. Guess what, the dealer and VW would also tell you to kick rocks.
So all those folks who were told they'd never walk again and yet by unrelenting persistence DID walk and even run again, should've accepted their "fate" and wasted away?

If you think that way, then you should never challenge the status quo, no matter what your effort could be to change things for better.

Pessimism is not a good trait.

razorlab

First Name
Bryan / Briana
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Not a Corvette.
So all those folks who were told they'd never walk again and yet by unrelenting persistence DID walk and even run again, should've accepted their "fate" and wasted away?
Are you really comparing people with life changing accidents with you not being able to get some car parts in a timely manner?

J29DB03

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Absolute Zero 3.0 Premium
Seems like we are getting more and more of two types of people on this forum.

1) Those who seem to have a “the customer is always right” attitude.

2) Vehicular hypochondriacs who post about an “issue” that is really just a noise they’ve never experienced.
I’m going to add a third type of person to this list.

3) “Corvette dads” who believe they know what’s best for everyone.

Thraxbert

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'20 Supra 3L, boosted 3.8L Gen Coupe, '93 Jimny
Speaking of part numbers, anyone that wants to look up their own can go to:

1) Partsouq for J29 Supra -- find the general location of the part on the left, then the specific subsystem of the part in the matrix on the page.

2) Partsouq for G29 Z4 -- find the part category on the left, then the specific sub-category in the matrix of options that loads.

Voila. Now you have the BMW and Toyota part number for the shared part.

CafeRacerQueen

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Daniela
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
‘20 M4 CS, ‘24 GR Supra 45th LE
Welcome to Supra ownership.

I bought my Mikan Blast car on November 4th.

I’ve not had working parking sensors since November 9th. It’s now as of this writing, April 10th. I took it in for repair and they identified that one of the like dozen sensors is bad, and it takes the whole system out, front and rear.

There was a huge time delay in them just getting the part number for the sensor from BMW. Now they have that part number and I’ve been waiting quite some time for my sensor to come in so they can repair it.

Meanwhile I have a literal pile of parts laying around to put on the car that all hinge on it getting a clean bill of health.

Such is life.

OP
OP
concept

concept

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Are you really comparing people with life changing accidents with you not being able to get some car parts in a timely manner?
No, I'm hoping a change will benefit hundreds, if not thousands of Supra owners over time.
Sponsored