Passenger Door Handle Paint Repair?

FullmetalHeart

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
Bought this car new a month ago in Maryland. Drove up from Virginia to get it, for reference I live 4 hours away

the car had two issues that I did not realize when I got home with it as I asked the dealer DO NOT wash it. There were scratches on the windshield and the passenger door handle has a little Knick in it as you see from the pictures. Car was covered in 1ā€of pollen the day I went to pickup so did not notice these things until I got home to wash it myself

dealer has been dragging their feet big time on trying to help me but theyā€™ve offered to schedule someone to replace my windshield locally but said for paint repair Iā€™d have to bring it back to them.... putting 800 miles on the car round trip for something so small seems ridiculous as it could potentially get more damage from the drive itself (rock chips etc) not happy about having to get this repaired but Iā€™m worried it could lead to clear coat failure on the entire door handle since it looks like the paint rolled

for anyone with paint/body experience, could this be painted separately or would they end up having to blend the door? Really trying to avoid that situation as Iā€™m too OCD and know paint is never a 100% match. Had a really bad experience with my 2017 stingray getting a fender repaired where they blended the front bumper and driver door, went to pick the car up and it was 3 shades darker on areas resprayed than the rest of the car. After complaining they offered to respray and did a MUCH better job.

9DED5E5C-4BDF-4058-82C4-355D38B72A70.jpeg

90F0B690-5EAF-460D-A74A-62DC5BD67969.jpeg

B181B27C-1E0D-42EE-B75B-20E7132F2F39.jpeg
Sponsored

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo
I don't have any good info on paint repair, but semi-related topic: has anyone gotten PPF applied to this part of the door handle? If so, how does it look? It seems like an obvious spot to protect, but I'm worried about how the edges will look.

strohw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 X3M, 2009 987.2, 2021 Supra
I don't have any good info on paint repair, but semi-related topic: has anyone gotten PPF applied to this part of the door handle? If so, how does it look? It seems like an obvious spot to protect, but I'm worried about how the edges will look.
I did not do PPF there but I doubt you'd even notice really.

Kiske

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1988 FC3S, 2015 Evo X FE, 2018 tS, 2021 A90 3.0
No need to spray the door. The handle is a raised surface with different angles than the door skin itself. It will take a bit of extra tint and match labor but, 100% possible to do as a minor difference will be hard to see assuming the tech does the job right.

starman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra 3.0P
ugh, grey is the worst color to paint match (I almost bought black just to avoid it, but Turbulence Grey just looks so good).

I'd try to find a totalled Supra and just buy the handle instead. But I doubt the dealership would do such a thing; as stated above, I doubt they'll need to respray the door just for a handle.

OP
OP
FullmetalHeart

FullmetalHeart

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
For reference here is the nightmare I had on the c7 the first time they sprayed it. You can see clear as day the front bumper is a different color, driver side fender was same way when compared to the hood and door

I thought about the totaled car thing, I know there is a repository on here of totaled VINS. Might be worth looking to see if I can track down a turbulence grey and see if I could purchase the door
Currently dealing with the window issue first. Dealer had safelite come out today and when the guy gets here they told him it was a rock chip ? I sent them multiple pictures of the scratched glass... so now Iā€™m waiting a couple weeks for them to order OEM glass and then it has to be brought in since they have to deal with the camera above the rear view mirror when replacing the windshield

my experience with Antwerpen Toyota in MD has not been good with this Supra thatā€™s for sure lol
455513CC-EACD-4CA8-AFDF-D8089E7908DF.jpeg

Axix23

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NA
One thing Is you always want the dealership detail the the brand new car when coming to pick it up so you can inspect it to see if there is any damages. When you take delivery of a dirty car/taped up car, you wonā€™t be able to see anything. But I understand you not wanting them to mess fhe car up detailing itā€¦

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Here are what mine look like. You canā€™t see the lines unless youā€™re 6 inches away.

I figured they might as well get covered since I was doing the whole door.

-RJM

CFFED76A-5F4E-44AB-904F-A77DD0B9CF3E.jpeg

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Bought this car new a month ago in Maryland. Drove up from Virginia to get it, for reference I live 4 hours away

the car had two issues that I did not realize when I got home with it as I asked the dealer DO NOT wash it. There were scratches on the windshield and the passenger door handle has a little Knick in it as you see from the pictures. Car was covered in 1ā€of pollen the day I went to pickup so did not notice these things until I got home to wash it myself

dealer has been dragging their feet big time on trying to help me but theyā€™ve offered to schedule someone to replace my windshield locally but said for paint repair Iā€™d have to bring it back to them.... putting 800 miles on the car round trip for something so small seems ridiculous as it could potentially get more damage from the drive itself (rock chips etc) not happy about having to get this repaired but Iā€™m worried it could lead to clear coat failure on the entire door handle since it looks like the paint rolled

for anyone with paint/body experience, could this be painted separately or would they end up having to blend the door? Really trying to avoid that situation as Iā€™m too OCD and know paint is never a 100% match. Had a really bad experience with my 2017 stingray getting a fender repaired where they blended the front bumper and driver door, went to pick the car up and it was 3 shades darker on areas resprayed than the rest of the car. After complaining they offered to respray and did a MUCH better job.

9DED5E5C-4BDF-4058-82C4-355D38B72A70.jpeg

90F0B690-5EAF-460D-A74A-62DC5BD67969.jpeg

B181B27C-1E0D-42EE-B75B-20E7132F2F39.jpeg
If it was me I would use a paint pen then put Stek PPF over it. I bet no one would ever find it.

The windshield on the other hand is a total WTF. Did they clean the glass with 50 grit sand papee?!?

-RJM

nosavingthrow

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2022 Mazda 3 Turbo
Here are what mine look like. You canā€™t see the lines unless youā€™re 6 inches away.

I figured they might as well get covered since I was doing the whole door.

-RJM

CFFED76A-5F4E-44AB-904F-A77DD0B9CF3E.jpeg
Oh that looks reeeeally good!

OP
OP
FullmetalHeart

FullmetalHeart

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
If it was me I would use a paint pen then put Stek PPF over it. I bet no one would ever find it.

The windshield on the other hand is a total WTF. Did they clean the glass with 50 grit sand papee?!?

-RJM
I've thought about hitting up colors on parade, they could probably get it to 95% and I would be happy with it then. Yeah no clue on the windshield, there were scratches on the A pillar as well, I polished those out with a yellow rupes pad and some sonax perfect finish

OP
OP
FullmetalHeart

FullmetalHeart

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
One thing Is you always want the dealership detail the the brand new car when coming to pick it up so you can inspect it to see if there is any damages. When you take delivery of a dirty car/taped up car, you wonā€™t be able to see anything. But I understand you not wanting them to mess fhe car up detailing itā€¦
Yeah, was trying to avoid those dealer installed swirls from the scratch master 9000 lol