Passenger Restraint System Malfunction

skyviper80

First Name
Lawrence
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 WRX STI, 2020 GR Supra
Since purchasing my Supra I have intermittently received the error message "passenger restraint system malfunction" on my infotainment display.

I have not been able to find anything online regarding the error message and so far Toyota can't figure out what the issue is.

It only happens when I have a passenger in the vehicle, but not every time. The error will remain on the screen until you turn the vehicle off. Once the vehicle is off any trace of the error is completely gone. It is not being recorded by the car's ECU and the service technicians can't seem to reproduce it.

The message is the same as the one linked here.

Has anyone else run into this or know what is causing it?
Sponsored

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Well these guys seem to be discussing it.
Moisture in sensor and dangling sensor.

https://f90.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1641677

I don't have an error but searching under passenger seat for a lost item, I realized cables underneath are rather free to move. Haven't fixed it yet, but zip tie should do the trick. I'll check if things got dislocated...
Edit. No need for zip, yellow part got loose from bracket somehow

20201117_170408_1.jpg

Last edited:

Snowman

First Name
Beau
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 A91 Supra Refraction Blue, and 2017 STI
Same issue here... I will try to visually assess if I have the same wiring issue tomorrow and if all else fails I'll take it to a dealer.

DavidT

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2013 Wrangler JK
So this just happened to me today after getting Tint done as well. What was the solution?
Just happened to me after getting PPF and tint done as well.... Ran Bimmerlink and it indicated a "short circuit" in the driver side door airbags without an option to clear the error. Bringing the car to the dealer this weekend to have it looked at.

20220714_072237.jpg

20220713_130912.jpg

Brophecy

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0 Premium (Absolute Zero)
So this just happened to me today after getting Tint done as well. What was the solution?
So I got it into the dealership and they said it was my OBD2 / BimmerCode that caused some weird malfunction with the coding of the safety features triggering a false alarm. Seems kinda BS, but they cleared the codes and it hasn't come back yet even with all my BimmerCode settings still in place.

Keemaca

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra
Bumping an old thread. Got the same issue today after tint so assuming the water causing a shortage.
Whats the solution ? Do I need to take it to the dealership?

A91CULater

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 CU Later
Bumping an old thread. Got the same issue today after tint so assuming the water causing a shortage.
Whats the solution ? Do I need to take it to the dealership?
Happened to me when I was working on the passenger window. Used bimmerlink to clear the code initially but to no avail (bimmerlink complained cant erase code). After about a month and 500 miles later, tried again, was able to clear it this time. Been three months since, still going strong.

Keemaca

First Name
Mario
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Supra
Happened to me when I was working on the passenger window. Used bimmerlink to clear the code initially but to no avail (bimmerlink complained cant erase code). After about a month and 500 miles later, tried again, was able to clear it this time. Been three months since, still going strong.
I made an appointment to take it into the dealership, the car is still under warranty so hoping it’s a not a big deal.
I did however make a few minor non related BimmerCode changes, I’m wondering if I should put everything back to normal, I’m not sure if they will void my warranty
Sponsored