Post 6/2020 ECU unlocked in US

underdonk

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 Premium
Completely different stroke there. AWD is a boner kill for a lot of people. Yes, it's great for putting down power and the argument can be made for better track performance but that's it. It also adds quite a bit of weight and maintenance. Have yet to meet someone who is into performance cars (and i know a lot of Evo/Subi/VW/Audi guys) that says their AWD car is a more fun driving experience and a blast to hoon around in (unless they can disable the Haldex and make it RWD). The trick diff didn't hit market for Audi/VW vehicles until this year, so that will be interesting...they claim they can actually drift it. I've had several AWD performance cars and they are fun but completely different use case. I'm not even sure i'd take a Porsche with AWD.
Can confirm. Drove both the Turbo S and the GT3 at the Porsche Driving Experience down in ATL for comparison sake and the GT3 was significantly more fun but not nearly as fast. Just my personal preference.
Sponsored

kaj

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Completely different stroke there. AWD is a boner kill for a lot of people. Yes, it's great for putting down power and the argument can be made for better track performance but that's it. It also adds quite a bit of weight and maintenance. Have yet to meet someone who is into performance cars (and i know a lot of Evo/Subi/VW/Audi guys) that says their AWD car is a more fun driving experience and a blast to hoon around in (unless they can disable the Haldex and make it RWD). The trick diff didn't hit market for Audi/VW vehicles until this year, so that will be interesting...they claim they can actually drift it. I've had several AWD performance cars and they are fun but completely different use case. I'm not even sure i'd take a Porsche with AWD.
My Evo is the most fun I've ever had in a car. Everyone thinks you get mad crazy traction and it drives itself. My sideways antics beg to differ. I get all the slip angle I want. 😁

humblemoto

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 A91, '07 E60 M5, '19 Panigale V4S
My Evo is the most fun I've ever had in a car. Everyone thinks you get mad crazy traction and it drives itself. My sideways antics beg to differ. I get all the slip angle I want. 😁
In the example of the TTRS its actually a lighter car. With enough power everything can oversteer.
For street driving which is 99% my use, the number of times I can slide around off/on ramps is extremely low. So AWD is almost strictly better, the reason I’m in the Supra forum is because I bought the Supra hoping for a beautiful but cheap fast rwd street car. Seeing as it isn’t fast or cheap to get there I have a pretty paperweight with a really nice gearbox.

Even with xdelete you can never be rid of the drivetrain losses of AWD but you can at least do burnouts if thats still cool to you.

P.S. “Fast” street cars are fun in the mid single digit 60-130 times imo.

GMsuperfan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 A91 Refraction, 68 Camaro SS, 17 GTI
In the example of the TTRS its actually a lighter car. With enough power everything can oversteer.
For street driving which is 99% my use, the number of times I can slide around off/on ramps is extremely low. So AWD is almost strictly better, the reason I’m in the Supra forum is because I bought the Supra hoping for a beautiful but cheap fast rwd street car. Seeing as it isn’t fast or cheap to get there I have a pretty paperweight with a really nice gearbox.

Even with xdelete you can never be rid of the drivetrain losses of AWD but you can at least do burnouts if thats still cool to you.

P.S. “Fast” street cars are fun in the mid single digit 60-130 times imo.
There are 10 second supras running JB4's, so i'm not sure i'm following you on the "slow" train of thought but it's all good man. I dig anything that's fast, it's just all different ways to get there.

romanLegion9574

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra 3.0, 2023 Toyota GRC Core
It's funny, back when I bought an M3 new in '99 it was hot shit with its 240hp. Truly fast. I'll never forget when some of the American cars started coming out with 400hp or even 500hp from the factory. I just couldn't imagine driving something with that much power on the street. Now, that feels like the absolute floor when it comes to having a "fast" street car.
I think something we forget is how far tires have come in the last 20 years. Many more tires are now capable of handling high hp numbers that were unthinkable 20 years ago.

JP_

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra Jarama Racetrack Edition
I bought the Supra hoping for a beautiful but cheap fast rwd street car.
Definitely beautiful though. What hooked me was this is probably the best looking car for the last 20 years, especially in an affordable price bracket for initial purchase as well as maintenance. The A90 actually looks somewhat unique, even compared to a lot of so called "exotics". Don't get me wrong, I love a new 911, but it's still a squashed VW Beetle.

Avarela99

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra 3.0
Another femto sending company lol
80C4F477-B8B1-4380-8139-A84A9279F85D.png
At least they are cheaper but still it's not cheappppp and you still gotta find a donner ECU for ECUTEK. Best route for most ppl is honestly the partial unlock and MHD which I'm doing November. No update from Mega 3 whatsoever on their unlock so I gave up on them tbh

Jakester

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Toyota Supra
At least they are cheaper but still it's not cheappppp and you still gotta find a donner ECU for ECUTEK. Best route for most ppl is honestly the partial unlock and MHD which I'm doing November. No update from Mega 3 whatsoever on their unlock so I gave up on them tbh
Yeah I am sending out to Femto on Monday for an unlock using MHD. I am tired of waiting too and I am not paying a ransom for a clonable ecu either. I almost did but then i had to pull my head out of my arse. Upgraded turbo, custom tune, and xhp with M1 will get me 650 hp which is good enough for now until someone actually does a full domestic unlock. DHL has 35% off codes for shipping so it's only about $250 each way to Finland.

humblemoto

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 A91, '07 E60 M5, '19 Panigale V4S
You folks paying for the partial will end up paying the same as a full unlock since you'll be paying twice IF an unlock becomes available. Not my money but I would just pay the ransom now if you can't wait for a full unlock. I'm pretty fed up too but I'm not doing the clone on principle and come summer if it isn't unlocked stateside I'll move the car.

Jackyl tm

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Edition, C230, Mazda Protege
You folks paying for the partial will end up paying the same as a full unlock since you'll be paying twice IF an unlock becomes available. Not my money but I would just pay the ransom now if you can't wait for a full unlock. I'm pretty fed up too but I'm not doing the clone on principle and come summer if it isn't unlocked stateside I'll move the car.
Paying twice?

zrk

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra - Nocturnal Black
Lots of misinformation here.

- If you pay for a Femto unlock, and not a clone, you can do the clone later without going back to Finland/Russia. Femto can get you the calibration file from the stock ECU while they have it.

- This isn't a fucking ransom. Going through Visconti is expensive, but they do add value (insurance, for example, $300 shipping each way didn't cover insurance to Russia), though after that smashed up ECU deal from that one guy makes it seems like they won't actually cover it. Femto direct is very affordable.

- Stateside thing is irrelevant. If the state-side unlock happens and it's more than ~$400, like a bench unlock, it's fucking bullshit and fuck those guys.

- Not doing the clone out of principal is really sticking to the man! Good on that. You get to be slow, and no one else gives a fuck.

Jackyl tm

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A91 Edition, C230, Mazda Protege
because you’ll pay for the partial and then the full. If it’s ever a stateside thing.
It's not going to be any more expensive. It's not like two different services. Still need an unlock to get it cloned. If a donor ecu comes available I just get it cloned.
Sponsored

Reactions: zrk