Praise, complements, and questions - hate isn’t the problem

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Wrangler, MB GLA 250
I’ve only put 1,400 miles on my Supra since late December, but I have almost a story a day of complements, praise, and enthusiastic questions.

Today was interesting. I went to get gas at the station nearest the house and there was a Corvette rally there. C8s through C2s. Pumping gas, two guys came over and I though “oh, here it comes.” They had nothing but praise and complements. Talked for 30 min.

Last time I got gas, I guy pulled in and had me take a photo of him next to my car.

Guy in a Golf R (very respectable “car guy” car) chased me down and caught me at a light last week to ask questions. Had to go through three lights doing that.

People work to get along side of me just to wave or give the thumbs-up.

The supermarket is ridiculous. Had people waiting to chat on two occasions.

I try to be a good ambassador, even if I’m in a hurry. NOT 1 instance of criticism or hate; that seems to be largely from internet armchair warriors.

Not sure if y’all get the same? It’s definitely NOT the driver in my case.
Sponsored

antonio88x

First Name
Antonio
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra 3.0 Premium (mine), 2018 CX-5 GT (wife's)
That's awesome. When I first got mine, I picked it up in NY and drove it back to FL. Every single place I stopped, people would walk over and ask questions. Most didn't even know what car it was. I had a few people at gas stations ask to take photos. A lot of people asked what I had on the hood and bumper because I bought TrakTape film to protect the paint until I had my PPF installed. I had one teenager hanging halfway out the window of his friend's car asking my to rip it LOL. I didn't because my wife was next to me telling me to not even dare try LOL.

The only time I've had criticism and BMW comments were from co-workers, who are all self righteous know-it-all engineers that are "car guys". Seems more "car guys" are into being cynical than enthusiastic unfortunately.

XtremeMaC

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
https://www.supramkv.com/threads/reactions-comments-attention-fun-stories-with-your-new-supra.2135/

https://www.supramkv.com/threads/do...our-a90-supra-tired-of-the-bmw-comments.3213/

Only negative comment I've ever gotten was almost the 2nd week of ownership (which being LE was early on, especially in MI) during a meet at a colleagues house. Bunch of people I didn't know, ages all over the place, etc. Anyhow, one cool looking dude, I'd venture 25+ year old, just totally ignored/dissed/looked down on me after he asked "did/do you own a MK4 and you know it's not a real Supra, right?" and I told him, nope, never got the chance to own one. As if it's a FXX and I needed a previous Supra to own the new one :D
Beyond that time, all good comments, thumbs up, rev requests, what kindda car is thats, etc..

Diablo

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Launch Edition / 2018 4Runner TRD
Most of the hate is by people who weren't even born when the last supra stopped production but cry about the 2JZ.
Very true. Had a kid at the car wash in an Ecoboost Mustang tell me it was a cool car BUT sucked that it didn’t have the 2JZ engine in it. I replied “word” and complemented his choice in wheels.

Second time was a kid at the drive thru ( hanging out the window, no less) tell me it was a wicked car, but should’ve come with the 2JZ and asked if I knew it had a BMW engine in it to which I replied “no sh*t?!”

Others than those two instances, have had nothing but love/praise/complements/thumbs up experiences. Drive past an Audi meet last weekend and it garnered a ton of attention. YMMV

MKV2021

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'21 Supra 3.0 premium
Reactions in real life are definitely more positive than the internets for sure. I catch people in my rear view mirror or across the street at a light holding phones up taking pictures on a daily basis. Super flattering, but I'm as happy to share it with others as I am just to own one. I couldn't imagine actually thinking that I was better than anyone else just because I own a nice car.

Cruzifer

First Name
Valente
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra (Renaissance Red 2.0)
I get nothing but love out here in Ohio. I think another huge advantage is it really feels like I’m the only one with a Supra since you really don’t see many on the road. People speed up to see, thumbs up, wave, get super excited, it’s pretty intense sometimes. I’m glad I have tint now because it gets awkward.
One poor soul told me he wanted one so bad but his wife wouldn’t let him (I can never understand that talk) so I ended up telling him good luck.
But again, nothing but love, people sneaking pics, recording. The fact that they still seem so rare is a huge bonus. I’ve seen maybe 3 Supra’s on the road since I’ve had mine last October. I see a C8 almost daily in the last 2 months just for comparison.

OP
OP
H2O_Doc

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I get nothing but love out here in Ohio. I think another huge advantage is it really feels like I’m the only one with a Supra since you really don’t see many on the road. People speed up to see, thumbs up, wave, get super excited, it’s pretty intense sometimes. I’m glad I have tint now because it gets awkward.
One poor soul told me he wanted one so bad but his wife wouldn’t let him (I can never understand that talk) so I ended up telling him good luck.
But again, nothing but love, people sneaking pics, recording. The fact that they still seem so rare is a huge bonus. I’ve seen maybe 3 Supra’s on the road since I’ve had mine last October. I see a C8 almost daily in the last 2 months just for comparison.
I’m never sure if it’s the car or the plate or both when it’s just a photo:

Attachments

suicidaleggroll

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 Premium, 2012 WRX
I’ve never driven a car that got this much attention. Never negative, it’s always positive. Every single time I drive it I have people stopping me in parking lots to talk about it, people hanging out their window as they drive by to yell out “Nice Supra!”, etc.

The first time I drove it to work, after a few hours a crowd formed in the hallway to look at it and talk about it (just happened to be outside my office, so I could hear their comments). The next two days half the people in the company came by my office to talk about it, as well as their own mods and plans for their cars.

It certainly is a head-turner and a conversation starter

Mimosa

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
-
I haven't come across a single person yet that has insulted the car. At least to my face. In fact, I'm the one usually telling people that this is a BMW based vehicle. I went through a Taco Bell drive through last week and a kid was ecstatic to see the car. I told him that it was a BMW platform and he said he that he already knew and still thought the car was amazing. He told me that it was his dream car. I got a little choked up when I saw how happy he was. Reminded me of myself when I was his age and being in love with sports cars I couldn't afford. I told him to keep hustling and that he'd be able to get this or something better in the future. He was so happy and said he was going to watch me drive off.

Moral of the story is... If you never eat fast food and decide to go to Taco Bell out of the blue, you will pay the price in the middle of the night.

Last edited:

satx_phantom

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Ford Fiesta; BMW M3 CS (G80) Waitlist
100% positive reaction to the car. On the road folk going out of their way to give a thumbs-up or other complimentary signal (approving nods included). I've had several folk want to take pictures with the car. A guy blocked me in at the gas station as I was about to leave, he was super nice and just wanted to look at the car, but triggered my defensive mode at first given his approach. The pharmacy tech recently, when I picked up something at the drive-thru, told me it was her "honor" to be my pharmacy tech given that the coolest car she'd seen at work had been a WRX. She brought the pharmacist over to the window to see it. Wife can't believe the reaction.

Oh...and it seems to attract people who want to race for some reason. About every other day. While flattering, I'm not interested in taking that risk.

diablo2112

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 BMW M3 Competition
4500 miles, purchased Nov. 2020. By and large, this car is ignored where I live. Maybe 2-3 times someone has asked about it. I'm cool with that. I've owned other cars that get far more attention. It's a nice car, but it's not exotic-rare.

Cruzifer

First Name
Valente
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Toyota Supra (Renaissance Red 2.0)
100% positive reaction to the car. On the road folk going out of their way to give a thumbs-up or other complimentary signal (approving nods included). I've had several folk want to take pictures with the car. A guy blocked me in at the gas station as I was about to leave, he was super nice and just wanted to look at the car, but triggered my defensive mode at first given his approach. The pharmacy tech recently, when I picked up something at the drive-thru, told me it was her "honor" to be my pharmacy tech given that the coolest car she'd seen at work had been a WRX. She brought the pharmacist over to the window to see it. Wife can't believe the reaction.

Oh...and it seems to attract people who want to race for some reason. About every other day. While flattering, I'm not interested in taking that risk.
Yeah, F that. I never had anyone trying to race but a few who want me to speed by them, no thanks. It’s normally in areas where I know cops like to hide. I’ll be cool for a few seconds and then laughed at when I’m pulled over lol.

OP
OP
H2O_Doc

H2O_Doc

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Being in North Virginia DC area, I just give people the “I can’t risk losing my security clearance,” which is a plausibly real thing that is sufficient to get me a bye virtually every time.

Virginia has little to no tolerance for street racing and I keep it on the track anyway.

black_sedan

First Name
BR
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
a90 Supra, Ford Raptor
I am a huge Toyota fan and I was pretty disappointed when the Supra was first announced with the BMW drivetrain. I did my share of BMW bashing My wife had an RCF and I had an ISF along with a Scion XB, so I love my Toyotas..

I finally got the chance to take a look at the car in person and warmed up to its BMW lineage and took the plunge. It has been an amazing car so far and for the money its a hard car to beat for the amount of performance you get. Completely changed the way I look at european cars

I still get on the Lexus groups and still see RCF/ISF owners bashing these cars.. Only argument they have is that their cars are more reliable... :doh:
Sponsored