OP
Supra93

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
I wish Honda would have used styling cues from the HSC concept instead. Much better looking IMO.

honda_hsc_concept_9.jpg

honda_hsc_concept_2.jpg

kamran

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
scion frs
I wish Honda would have used styling cues from the HSC concept instead. Much better looking IMO.

honda_hsc_concept_9.jpg

honda_hsc_concept_2.jpg
Hmmm you don't like the Mazda 3 front smiley face! But it looks so happy!

Joking aside, and the rather outdated styling aside, it almost looks like they were just trying too hard at the last minute, and throwing everything including the kitchen sink material at the front end. IMHO NSX front end needed to be toned down if any. It has painted sections, glass, chrome sections, and black plastic sections, all packed on its nose! It's almost as if they were in a panic designing it...

OP
OP
Supra93

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Hmmm you don't like the Mazda 3 front smiley face! But it looks so happy!

Joking aside, and the rather outdated styling aside, it almost looks like they were just trying too hard at the last minute, and throwing everything including the kitchen sink material at the front end. IMHO NSX front end needed to be toned down if any. It has painted sections, glass, chrome sections, and black plastic sections, all packed on its nose! It's almost as if they were in a panic designing it...
I don't like the overall look of it. I don't like how it doesn't resemble the original NSX at all. Where as with the HSC, you can clearly tell it still has NSX in its DNA. The original NSX was very Ferrari like (as with the HSC). While the new one I think is very R8ish.

honda_hsc_concept_9-jpg.jpg

ferrari-458-italia-red-view_117897-1920x1080-jpg.jpg

audi_r8_vs_nsx_concept-jpg.jpg

Last edited:

Levi

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Alfa Romeo
IMO the new NSX is just as good if not better than the first one. My favorite sportscar after the LFA.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
I love the look of the new NSX, but I'm honestly just not excited about it. Aside from the time it's taken, I just don't care for the hybrid design and I can't help but feel it's going to be overpriced and underperforming.

Supraman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I like it. I'm glad it looks better than the concept. I think once the reviews come out for it, hopefully it outperformes its competition to make it worth all the hype and wait plus worth the price tag. Otherwise Honda is in for a bust.

OP
OP
Supra93

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Acura NSX is industry's first supercar with a female design lead

la-fi-0111-hy-nsx-designer-20150111.jpg

Michelle Christensen. Unless you've been casting about the web for some behind-the-scenes takes on recent exotic car launches or were unusually curious during the early days of the sport crossover trend, her name probably means nothing to you. She grew up in Northern California, where her family drag-raced. Venerables like the 1932 Ford, Plymouth GTX, and Dodge Super Bee rolled through her family garage. And Christensen grew up designing prom dresses for friends and dreaming of working in a pit crew. In fact, she didn't even realize car design was a real profession until junior high, when her father pointed out Chip Foose at a car show. After that, she was hooked, so she went to Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, where she reimagined the Plymouth Barracuda as her senior project. Today, Christensen can add the title of lead exterior designer on the 2016 Acura NSX to her resume.

The first woman to lead the shape of a supercar, Christensen actually opened up her "First!" account with Acura in 2005 when the company swooped her up the night of graduation and she became its first female exterior car designer. Her first sketch on the job was a concept for the ZDX, and the bigwigs chose her design for production.

She joined the NSX team after the mid-engined concept was introduced at the 2012 Detroit Auto Show, replacing the front-engined V10 concept (we encourage you to go back and look at what was versus what is). Christensen thereafter led a crew of eight through a rework of the sheetmetal, with the focus being to keep the "emotional, 3-D kind of feeling." Reminiscing about her family's utterly unadorned '32 Ford hot rod, she said the NSX team was committed to keeping the design simple and light.

Wind tunnel work led to larger bumper, hood and side intakes for better airflow on the production model. That, along with a switch in engine position, gave them a chance to go aggressive and to not only "punch more holes in it and make it more exotic," but also "take it to the gym and beef it up." In line with its decidedly un-retro rebirth, the third brake light that runs across the decklid is about the only nod to its predecessor.

At age 34, we're certain we haven't seen the last of Christensen or her designs.
http://www.autoblog.com/2015/01/19/acura-nsx-female-designer-michelle-christensen/

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
Like LFA?
at least the LFA looked good :p

jk, to each their own ;)
Haha, yeah pretty much.

Lexus gets off the hook IMO because fairly early on you knew it was going to be super-limited, very high price. More of a novelty, unique car instead of a sportscar intended for broad sale. I think very very early on people thought it might be the next Supra, but when I saw one of the concepts at Pebble it was very clear it was not going to be mass market like a 911, or even a GT-R.

Craigy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M3, Lexus GX
"The first woman to lead the shape of a supercar, Christensen actually opened up her "First!" account with Acura in 2005 when the company swooped her up the night of graduation and she became its first female exterior car designer. Her first sketch on the job was a concept for the ZDX, and the bigwigs chose her design for production."
Dear lord, the ZDX? Next you're going to tell me she designed the Accord Crosstour, and before she graduated she interned with Pontiac to help design the Aztek. :puke:

I'm shocked that this car is as attractive as it is.

Big George

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mazda 3, X5 V8
Not to take anything away from her but no car is designed by one person. Even Apple's Jony Ive has teams of designers sketching and modeling mockups before they choose the best.

That said, is it me or does the NSX suddenly look more feminine :stirthepot:

OP
OP
Supra93

Supra93

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra & RX7
Acura NSX reportedly delayed until next spring
Will it still be relevant by then?

If you were drooling over the NSXs that Acura introduced at The Quail earlier today, you'd better prepare for a serious case of cotton mouth as the model has reportedly been delayed until next spring.

While the car was slated to go into production this fall, Acura has reportedly confirmed the first cars won't roll of the line until the spring of 2016 as 2017 model.

Automobile Magazine says Acura is blaming the delay on the company's decision to use a twin-turbo V6 engine instead of a naturally-aspirated V6 like the one used in the 2013 NSX concept. The change meant engineers had to switch to a longitudinal layout which required additional development time.
http://www.worldcarfans.com/115081497824/acura-nsx-reportedly-delayed-until-next-spring
Sponsored