Question about knicks and scratches on front hood

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
I did some bumper to bumper racing on some side roads with a 720 mclaren in front of me throwing ever rock on the road directly at my front bumper.

Safe to say it’s wrecked. Ppf wrap on the front was 750 installed. Brand new bumper painted and installed is 800. I’d rather pay the 50$ more and replace imo
Sponsored

Heavy Foot

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra. 2018 Mazda Miata RF. 2020 Range Rover.
I’m really sorry to hear that. Mine are just really tiny and I know they can be buffed out in 5 seconds was just wondering if it’s worth it to do it all the time or just do it yearly to the entire car.
What color is your Supra?

OP
OP

timmygogdon

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
If your nail can catch the scratch, it will require extensive polishing/re-clear.

And if inexperienced does excessive polishing they can burn through the clear.. then you got more problems. :bonk:
My finger nail can’t catch any! Like I said they might not even be rock chips I think maybe like tree branch scratches or something. I had some on the side that my detailer buffed out super easily and reapplied my ceramic!

OP
OP

timmygogdon

First Name
Connor
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
Unfortunately rock chips typically don’t buff out.

Also many think ceramic coating reduces chips… not the case either.

Clear bra / PPF is really your only option to lessen the chance of rock chips to the paint. I also recommend covering the headlights in film.

The Supra’s paint is soft… protect it when new if possible.
Luckily for me they come out easily with a buffed my detailer got out some noticeable ones but apparently they were only in the ceramic.

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
Luckily for me they come out easily with a buffed my detailer got out some noticeable ones but apparently they were only in the ceramic.
~ the marks/flaws would be in the factory clear coat… not the ceramic coating…

so many detailing companies make customers think a ceramic coating is like an impenetrable thick protection … but it’s not… however it helps with the cars finish.

in my opinion ceramic coatings work well for a car enthusiast that doesn’t want to wax or polish their car every couple months or prefer to try to keep it up regularly.

paint correction is what makes the car look amazing (depth, clarity, swirl free) and ceramic coating helps to keep it looking that way.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 (Renaissance Red)
Have it buffed or corrected then have PPF installed. This is why I recommend PPF first above all else.

Its expensive but can be done in sections over time. The most dinged areas are the front bumper, front half of hood and rockers panels behind the front wheels.

-RJM

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
5B27674A-8D27-4249-B24E-E71B7F057A86.jpeg

My front end has so many rock chips, luckily the color doesn't make it noticeable but fuck it, die like men. ? #wishihadppf
Same color as me. I picked up 5 or 6 rock chips driving to and from autocross events this season. I just touched them up with my $10 touch up paint and I'll bet 9 out of 10 people on this forum would have a hell of a time finding them if I didn't tell you where to look. I just don't understand why so many spend so much $ on the various coating options or stress so much over little nicks and chips. It's car. Drive the hell out of it. Enjoy it. If you get a rock chip, touch it up and go drive it some more...

Andrew4Supra

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0 / 2018 Mercedes GLC43 / 2016 VW GTI
Same color as me. I picked up 5 or 6 rock chips driving to and from autocross events this season. I just touched them up with my $10 touch up paint and I'll bet 9 out of 10 people on this forum would have a hell of a time finding them if I didn't tell you where to look. I just don't understand why so many spend so much $ on the various coating options or stress so much over little nicks and chips. It's car. Drive the hell out of it. Enjoy it. If you get a rock chip, touch it up and go drive it some more...
~ I think yellow is the easiest of colors to touch up without being noticeable… the Supra white however far from the case.

puzzled

First Name
Calvin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra Premium; VA STI; MK7 GOLF-R; etc..
~ I think yellow is the easiest of colors to touch up without being noticeable… the Supra white however far from the case.
White and silver are definitely the hardest to match.
Black is easy to match too.. just use a Sharpie. ;)
Sponsored