Race Tracking Your Supra - Information exchange

rwense

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 Nitro Yellow A90 Supra, 10 Honda Fit Sport 5spd
I should also add that I did this the other day when the outside temp was somewhere between 25 and 30°F and SOMEHOW managed a PB by almost 2 sec on my 3rd lap lmao. Pretty sure my tires weren't even at 80° and MAYBE hovering somewhere around 30 psi hot. Falken RT615K+ keep surprising me and they have like 2/32 left on em.

This is a great thread btw! Shoutout to OP for bringing it up. It took me a few days to catch up but there's some good reading in here.

I got through my first season tracking the car this past year with 7 events and I'm looking forward to going way harder this year. I'm only on eibach springs, square 18" wheels (275/35/18), CSG CP pads, bolt ons, and a BM3 OTS tune. This year I focus on suspension and seat time 🤘

Speaking of which... Can we discuss the massive hole in the market in between KW's that keep blowing up and the massive jump to the JRZ and MCS tier? Is there anything in between that anyone in here is running??
Good to hear on the 615k+s! I had a set on my ND miata and loved them but never got them on track. I'm hoping to get a 18" square setup this year and was thinking about getting them again or maybe a set of v730s/rs4s. What wheel specs are you running with your eibachs? I'm also on eibachs and am wondering if I should switch to the HKS springs or swallow the cost of a set of coils despite my car being a mix of track/street/autocross.
Sponsored

Deighvid

First Name
Deighvid
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Premium
Good to hear on the 615k+s! I had a set on my ND miata and loved them but never got them on track. I'm hoping to get a 18" square setup this year and was thinking about getting them again or maybe a set of v730s/rs4s. What wheel specs are you running with your eibachs? I'm also on eibachs and am wondering if I should switch to the HKS springs or swallow the cost of a set of coils despite my car being a mix of track/street/autocross.
Yessir! They've done me well and held on for a while now lol.

Wheels are 18x10.7 +38 Titan7 TS5
Spacers: 15mm front, 12mm rear to clear stock suspension.

In my opinion the only benefit HKS over eibach is ride height adjustment and from what I've see the HKS are even more bouncy than eibach on track and not a great option.

If you're going to do the work of changing things out, I'd just figure out a coilover setup you're happy with if you want to upgrade 🤘. That's where I'm at.

rwense

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yessir! They've done me well and held on for a while now lol.

Wheels are 18x10.7 +38 Titan7 TS5
Spacers: 15mm front, 12mm rear to clear stock suspension.

In my opinion the only benefit HKS over eibach is ride height adjustment and from what I've see the HKS are even more bouncy than eibach on track and not a great option.

If you're going to do the work of changing things out, I'd just figure out a coilover setup you're happy with if you want to upgrade 🤘. That's where I'm at.
Ah and the wheels I'm looking at too lol, get out of my head man 😂

Interesting to hear about the HKS springs, I was looking to them to get a bit of extra ride height since the eibachs are already low as it is, and with 18s it might be unbearably low. Especially if I'm going to run an Aimgain lip 😅 but you've got a good point! I was probably going to do camber plates at some point too so might as well do both with a coilover setup lol.

RichSC

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 LE Supra #86, 2018 Raptor
HKS springs aren't a bad option if you don't wanna hassle with coilovers. Other benefit with them is they replace the lower perch on the front struts so you can run wider wheels up front without the clearance issues.

Ran those on mine for a year, street driving, a few lapping days and a few event weekends. Not the best, but not terrible IMO.

rwense

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
HKS springs aren't a bad option if you don't wanna hassle with coilovers. Other benefit with them is they replace the lower perch on the front struts so you can run wider wheels up front without the clearance issues.

Ran those on mine for a year, street driving, a few lapping days and a few event weekends. Not the best, but not terrible IMO.
Hmm maybe I'll keep an eye out for a used set. With wheels coming soon it'd be nice to spread out the cost a bit.

Deighvid

First Name
Deighvid
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Premium
Ah and the wheels I'm looking at too lol, get out of my head man 😂

Interesting to hear about the HKS springs, I was looking to them to get a bit of extra ride height since the eibachs are already low as it is, and with 18s it might be unbearably low. Especially if I'm going to run an Aimgain lip 😅 but you've got a good point! I was probably going to do camber plates at some point too so might as well do both with a coilover setup lol.
This is the way! They're great track wheels lol and can hold som big shmeat on em 😅

Sir(or ma'am idk), this is a track thread. I'm here to be the devil on your shoulder and tell you make a vertical upgrade and not lateral. Go coilovers 😈😈😈😈😈 lol

rwense

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
This is the way! They're great track wheels lol and can hold som big shmeat on em 😅

Sir(or ma'am idk), this is a track thread. I'm here to be the devil on your shoulder and tell you make a vertical upgrade and not lateral. Go coilovers 😈😈😈😈😈 lol
*looks at wallet menacingly*

Speaking of coilovers, I think there was a thread that discussed them briefly but does anyone have experience with fortune auto 510s? I know CKS/KW/Ohlins are sort of the go to for our chassis but I've heard some mixed things on KWs. The 510s seem pretty decent especially foe the price. And if I ever need them rebuilt I'm a couple of hours away rather than sending them across the pond for something like KW. As mentioned prior I'd be doing a mix of track and autocross along with weekend driving. I'm still a novice with 3 track events and maybe 25+ autoX events so I'm open to suggestions!

ABQautoxer

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2022 Tundra, 2016 Supercharged FRS
I would only buy something a top 3rd party shock builder can rebuild/revalve for you. This is a big reason KW shouldn't be in your scope IMO and I've owned a few sets of KWs. Ohlins plus is they are one that can be. No experience with CKS, but I'd probably opt for 1 way customs or MCS for similar money.

DanzBurG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 MT Supra, '10 Yaris, '19 Fit
I've used Ohlins on my previous vehicle and really liked them. Curious if anyone of y'all have experience with the Ohlins for this chassis? More specifically how they compare to KW, HKS, MCS and the others you guys have mentioned.

Deighvid

First Name
Deighvid
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Supra Premium
One thing I've learned about suspensions for this chassis is that you have to throw out the reputation of basically everyone that's makes great products for other chassis with a very small number of exceptions lol. Unless you're looking for casual street driving, then who f'n cares. 😅

Last edited:

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5

I currently have Eibach springs and sway bars and can’t wait to get coilovers!!!! I wish I would have done this 1st… Ride height flexibility would be nice and getting a pro driver to be able to dial her in, make suggestions. If Ohlins can do that, the price is great! Otherwise I’ll cough up more coin to be able to have that adjustability.

You should be able to dial her in for track and then dial her back to where you want for street. The race guys would tell me how many clicks to dial it in and it was easy to do. I haven’t gotten that far yet looking for this car. My fav mechanic said there is the ride height sensor cancelors (spelling). And I know Brian (Razor) has a thread somewhere mentioning it too. Since he’s recommended Ohlins or MCS, I’ll likely do those. And it’s worked for him!

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Quick note: because a great question came up talking to a fellow Supra friend in a PM.

If tracking for the 1st time and not using NASA (Toyota’s free track day), you ABSOLUTELY want an instructor. Sure there will be “traffic” in the beginners group. There can be in any run group. But safety and fun should come 1st. You’ll learn tons of stuff and have a blast!!!! Below are links I’d recommend here in Florida. If not doing NASA, Chin Motorsports is fantastic for getting started.

https://www.chintrackdays.com/

http://www.drivenasafl.com/driving/hpde/

If going the professional route, PM me and I can forward you some professional coaches. But the majority of us are doing this for fun. So please don’t sign up for a track day with the groups that don’t require your previous track experience or require a checkout ride at a new track. It’s imperative you are able to drive home in one piece and not smash up other people or cars along the way, lol. Sorry if I’ve given any wrong impressions that you just get on track and drive. Everyone definitely should do the free track day from Toyota that comes with instruction (someone riding shotgun with you).

rwense

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I would only buy something a top 3rd party shock builder can rebuild/revalve for you. This is a big reason KW shouldn't be in your scope IMO and I've owned a few sets of KWs. Ohlins plus is they are one that can be. No experience with CKS, but I'd probably opt for 1 way customs or MCS for similar money.
Ah I wasn't aware you couldn't get your KWs rebuilt? Or maybe I just misunderstood you. Ideally something like Ohlins or maybe MCS would be nice but since I'm still relatively novice I'm not sure I'd get the benefit of $4k coils vs $2500 or so. That being said, going the route of HKS springs is still an option until I get some more time under my belt.

Beevo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra
*looks at wallet menacingly*

Speaking of coilovers, I think there was a thread that discussed them briefly but does anyone have experience with fortune auto 510s? I know CKS/KW/Ohlins are sort of the go to for our chassis but I've heard some mixed things on KWs. The 510s seem pretty decent especially foe the price. And if I ever need them rebuilt I'm a couple of hours away rather than sending them across the pond for something like KW. As mentioned prior I'd be doing a mix of track and autocross along with weekend driving. I'm still a novice with 3 track events and maybe 25+ autoX events so I'm open to suggestions!
I don't know if I would say CKS are the go to for our chassis. It was my experience with the CKS 2-way and a local friend's experience with the CKS 1-way that the quality is terrible. For the cost, the quality is absolutely unacceptable. If you like the design for whatever reason, you might as well get the Neomax coilovers they are rebranding for less than half the price and you'll probably be better off because you can at least get radial bearings with the Neomax...

ABQautoxer

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra, 2022 Tundra, 2016 Supercharged FRS
Ah I wasn't aware you couldn't get your KWs rebuilt? Or maybe I just misunderstood you. Ideally something like Ohlins or maybe MCS would be nice but since I'm still relatively novice I'm not sure I'd get the benefit of $4k coils vs $2500 or so. That being said, going the route of HKS springs is still an option until I get some more time under my belt.
Only KW can rebuild KWs. They don't do custom valving based on your requests. If you ever drive a car with properly customized valving, its one of the biggest eye openers there is in motorsports. Speed mostly comes from confidence and the right shocks give you tons.
Sponsored