084runnerltd

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
08 4Runner / 99ā€™ Lexus LX470 / Deposit 2020 Supra
Vehicle Showcase
No tool needed.... Just pried from the front top gently.... And it popped open. To describe where.... Right above the mirror up against the windshield.... Using fingers I was able to lightly pull and one side popped. Then just opened it up.
Thanks, I am guessing you tested the various wires and non of them were set up for auxiliary power?

I am debating whether to give my installer the hardwire kit for my Uniden R7 or the mirrortap wiring kit....prolly give him both and hope he can get something working.
Sponsored

angrytoddler

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Red LE Supra MKV, Toyota FJ Cruiser, Ford Explorer Sport
Thanks, I am guessing you tested the various wires and non of them were set up for auxiliary power?

I am debating whether to give my installer the hardwire kit for my Uniden R7 or the mirrortap wiring kit....prolly give him both and hope he can get something working.
I used the wiretap..... But yes it's always on power 12v. I just set the radar to auto off. I read somewhere there is a way on my detector to also have it power off if no movement is detected for 30 minutes.

084runnerltd

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I used the wiretap..... But yes it's always on power 12v. I just set the radar to auto off. I read somewhere there is a way on my detector to also have it power off if no movement is detected for 30 minutes.
Got it, I just learned the same about mine. (1hour auto turn-off). That sounds good enough for me.

Thanks for the info.

larrymz3

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Following.

Also, I would be interested in seeing a photo of the blendmount installed on the Supra to determine if there is enough room above the display.

084runnerltd

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Following.

Also, I would be interested in seeing a photo of the blendmount installed on the Supra to determine if there is enough room above the display.

I will get that posted on Friday for ya. Just waiting for the new one to arrive.

larrymz3

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra
Got it, I just learned the same about mine. (1hour auto turn-off). That sounds good enough for me.

Thanks for the info.
I have heard you can tap into the rain sensing wiper connection on the mirror to get switched power.

Last edited:

084runnerltd

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Does hang low, but I am fine with it for now.

D62A3390-5ED3-4ED9-8034-ADF3D6533B50.jpeg

084runnerltd

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the pic. Can the blend mount go up higher?

How hard was it to wire up?

What dashcam is that? How is it hooked up?
So, as it stands now, that is the highest, I may try to modify the mount to bring it up higher. It doesnā€™t block my view, just doesnā€™t look as clean how it is positioned now.

After reading several posts about people having issues with tapping into the mirror wiring with a ā€œmirrortapā€ kit, I provided my installer with the remote hardwire kit from Uniden and the mirrortap kit, and informed him I wanted the detector to turn off with the car.

He used the hardwire kit from Uniden and ran it to the rear of the car.

A 2 channel dashcam, BlackVue DR900S BlackVue DR900S-2CH with 16GB Micro SD Card | Power Magic Pro Hardwiring Kit Included | WiFi GPS 4K Recording CLOUD Connectivity https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C3H8YXB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_KetFDb9JZWG2W was mounted and hardwired to a Power Magic Pro battery.

BlackVue Power Magic Ultra Battery (B-124X) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TKYM2TT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_eftFDb7MJ1HP8

The battery has a charge of roughly 18hrs at 4K with 2 cameras running. The car charges the battery when running. When the car is off, the cameras ONLY get power from the Power Magic battery, if that battery dies, the cameras shut off.

Some pics of the install...

Left side of pic is battery pack...
56665FC4-E75D-4326-9398-0B89FBBDD3A6.jpeg

Pic of the battery to camera power connection
723F913A-22AC-46AF-ACF2-94E1CD6CE6FF.jpeg

2 relays used for install.
76E1F456-A0C1-44F1-B3D3-1A43485827F6.jpeg

The dashcam can simply be plugged into a 12v outlet if you wanted to....but I like things as clean and as non-cluttered as possible.

Also, the battery allows you to daisychain additional batteries for improved life. The battery isnā€™t cheap, but it is specifically designed for high/low temps, as well as fast and multiple recharges, compared to a lithium-ion.

s219

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
BMW X3 M40i, BMW M2 Comp, Ferrari 328
The battery has a charge of roughly 18hrs at 4K with 2 cameras running. The car charges the battery when running. When the car is off, the cameras ONLY get power from the Power Magic battery, if that battery dies, the cameras shut off.
Good, that's the way to go and should be reliable.

jtsang25

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 BMW 135i, 2020 Toyota GR Supra
So, as it stands now, that is the highest, I may try to modify the mount to bring it up higher. It doesnā€™t block my view, just doesnā€™t look as clean how it is positioned now.

After reading several posts about people having issues with tapping into the mirror wiring with a ā€œmirrortapā€ kit, I provided my installer with the remote hardwire kit from Uniden and the mirrortap kit, and informed him I wanted the detector to turn off with the car.

He used the hardwire kit from Uniden and ran it to the rear of the car.

A 2 channel dashcam, BlackVue DR900S BlackVue DR900S-2CH with 16GB Micro SD Card | Power Magic Pro Hardwiring Kit Included | WiFi GPS 4K Recording CLOUD Connectivity https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C3H8YXB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_KetFDb9JZWG2W was mounted and hardwired to a Power Magic Pro battery.

BlackVue Power Magic Ultra Battery (B-124X) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TKYM2TT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_eftFDb7MJ1HP8

Some pics of the install...

Left side of pic is battery pack...
56665FC4-E75D-4326-9398-0B89FBBDD3A6.jpeg

Pic of the battery to camera power connection
723F913A-22AC-46AF-ACF2-94E1CD6CE6FF.jpeg

2 relays used for install.
76E1F456-A0C1-44F1-B3D3-1A43485827F6.jpeg

The dashcam can simply be plugged into a 12v outlet if you wanted to....but I like things as clean and as non-cluttered as possible.

Also, the battery allows you to daisychain additional batteries for improved life. The battery isnā€™t cheap, but it is specifically designed for high/low temps, as well as fast and multiple recharges, compared to a lithium-ion.
Is this battery stored where the car battery is?