Radar detectors ?

JOutterbridge

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Genesis Coupe, 94 and 97 Toyota Supra
Money no object = Uniden R8. Best value = R7. All have their pros and cons, if you want the best range and sensitivity and the detector that most of the experts run, it's the R8.
I agree. For the East Coast I found the R8 to be the best and the Valentine 1G2 to be the quietest (minimal false alarms). The V1G2 can be better once updated and connected to a network but I don't always turn that on when I get in a car. And usually when I'm driving I have waze on in the background so that's kept me ticket free the last few years....
Sponsored

Crypto79

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Supra A91 MT, 1997 sc300 5 Speed
I used them for years and finally came to the conclusion that they cost me more tickets than prevented. While I got some heads up it dulled my alertness and 1/2 the time they went off it was merely a youā€™re about to get a ticket warning since i am a front of the pack type of driver anyway. Since I got rid of it I am far more on the scan and aware of situations. Coupled to Waze I havenā€™t had a ticket for a long time.

GMsuperfan

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
21 A91 Refraction, 68 Camaro SS, 17 GTI
I used them for years and finally came to the conclusion that they cost me more tickets than prevented. While I got some heads up it dulled my alertness and 1/2 the time they went off it was merely a youā€™re about to get a ticket warning since i am a front of the pack type of driver anyway. Since I got rid of it I am far more on the scan and aware of situations. Coupled to Waze I havenā€™t had a ticket for a long time.
My ass has been saved more than a few times, especially on country roads. Tons of use of KA band in NC which the R8 detects very early. Every part of the country is different but i've been super happy w/ the R8. Highway patrol with laser isn't going to help all that much unless as other noted, you have an accompanying laser jammer.

jchadwell

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0 Premium
Jchadwell, where the hell do u live?
So I can stay away from your town/state!
The example I described was a long time ago in Kentucky. I also had another incident in KY where they clocked me with VASCAR (a fancy stopwatch basically). I actually went to court and beat that one. They weren't close on my speed and the distance they timed was so short that even a small error resulted in significant potential inaccuracy. I basically told the judge the speed they cited was wrong (I was cited for 20 something), how fast I remembered actually going (less than 10 over), and then showed him the math and why when running VASCAR a pretty lengthy distance needs to be measured to ensure the calculated speed is accurate. This was more than 20 years ago so I can't remember the specifics but the distance measured was so short that it only took a few seconds to travel and if the timer was started like a tenth of a second late or stopped a tenth too soon the speed would be off significantly. I think what sealed the deal was when I explained how big the inaccuracy would be if the officer's timing was off by less than the time it takes to blink.

I live in WV now and have never seen such a speed trap set up here. Our State Troopers are much more laid back as long as you aren't in an active construction zone. I have a recently retired WV State Trooper friend who a few years ago told us if there was no paint traded with him he wasn't stopping anyone.

Drnick

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra premium
Iā€™m well versed in lidar, vascar,radar etc. , Iā€™ve been stopped by NY/NJ state troopers,Park cops, local cops and NYC cops šŸ¤Ø unfortunately in the state of New York, LEOā€™s donā€™t need a speed measuring device to issue a ticketšŸ˜± so a radar detector is moot

Emspilot

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 GR Supra 3.0 Premium
Idk bout you guys but im not stopping for no pigs in a car like this that can outrun anything they have especially on a 3 lane highway lmao
You canā€™t outrun a radio.
Or a computer. Theyā€™ll just come knock on your door.

Mason

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 3.0
Iā€™m well versed in lidar, vascar,radar etc. , Iā€™ve been stopped by NY/NJ state troopers,Park cops, local cops and NYC cops šŸ¤Ø unfortunately in the state of New York, LEOā€™s donā€™t need a speed measuring device to issue a ticketšŸ˜± so a radar detector is moot
Any good lawyer will due

FLtrackdays

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 Supra 3.0, ND MX5 Club, VW GTI MK7.5
Those are great looking detectors & damn theyā€™ve come a long way!

Other side of the coin šŸŖ™ and another reason why I donā€™t need a radar detector (and get my need for speed on track) - I have the State Farm little hockey puck device w/ app that tracks me & my family like fugitives. Butā€¦ it gives me a huge discount on my auto insurance šŸ˜ƒ. Iā€™ve got a 18 & 23 y/o still on our 100/300 policy w/ 5 cars. Bonus: you can see how fast your kids are going over the speed limit, around corners, & the works.

However, my wife took it out of her car and now we pay the most for her šŸ˜’

DarkZupra

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Supra 3.0, 2021 Tesla M3P
Those are great looking detectors & damn theyā€™ve come a long way!

Other side of the coin šŸŖ™ and another reason why I donā€™t need a radar detector (and drive on track) - I have the State Farm little hockey puck device w/ app that tracks me & my family like fugitives. Butā€¦ it gives me a huge discount on my auto insurance šŸ˜ƒ. Iā€™ve got a 18 & 23 y/o still on our 100/300 policy w/ 5 cars. Bonus: you can see how fast your kids are going over the speed limit, around corners, & the works.

However, my wife took it out of her car and now we pay the most for her šŸ˜’
There is no amount of money you could pay me to let anyone, especially an insurance company, track my driving. 100% F that.

Drnick

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 supra premium
Fl track days; your wife is smart and wise, I can see a tracking device for your kids, thatā€™s a no brainer, but unless the discount is ALOT of $$$ , I wouldnā€™t let any entity track my whereabouts

kern417

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2018 440i
Uniden R3 here still going strong but the new units are even better

kanaka

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 JZA80
I have been using the Cobra Roadscout (Comes with the dash cam and Radar). I thought it might have been outdated and went and bought an R7. For fun, I had them both running side by side for a couple weeks and realize they picked up X and KA bands at the same time. Ended up returning my R7 and continue to just use my inexpensive Roadscout for the dashcam use as well

consultadrone

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra