Random Thoughts Thread

Goose

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 FRS
So I saw in the news today that the 2nd to last Blockbuster Video closed. The last one is in Bend, OR. I'm going to try and convince thebwife to go on a road trip with me to the last Blockbuster after I get the A90. I figure what better way to give the car a good test than a 2600 mile road trip.

Also, Ashe was the manager of a Blockbuster down in SC when they closed, so I think she may enjoy it
Sponsored

Goose

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 FRS
I like how busy the forum has gotten as we get that much closer to launch

Goose

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 FRS
I kinda hope it stays busy like this for a while. Getting information and having discussions and whatnot

Goose

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 FRS
No idea with 98% of the words, but I like it

Edit: ooo, just had a thought. Are they gknna GRMN all the models? That'd be awesome.

Also, I recognize that track from far too much Gran Turismo

Goose

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 FRS
Found this passage in a Jalopnik article on the A90 vs. 86, and thought it was both hilarious and sad (because true)

"Car enthusiasts are a deeply miserable lot, almost endemically unhappy about everything even when their preferred rides are safer, faster, better and more efficient than they’ve ever been. The Mazda Miata doesn’t have enough power. The Subaru WRX isn’t a hatchback anymore. The Nissan 370Z is old and the GT-R is too expensive. The Honda Civic Type R looks less like a car and more like something the Principality of Zeon invented to take down Amuro once and for all. The Dodge Challenger is full of ancient Mercedes-Benz parts. Nobody can see out of the Chevrolet Camaro. The Ford Mustang does murders sometimes."

rtoadyt

First Name
Reto
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
What are the chances Mitsubishi will revive Lancer Evolution? If RX9's hopeless, i6X9 will do(?). Subaru, when will they level up? Next gen WRX STi, is it even in development? Nissan's stuck with their dated R35, when will R36 come in?

JDM better be making a glorious comeback. Felt that boom of golden days JDM for brief time, the world could use another JDM boom. In the world of complex, measured to perfection, sports cars full of spoils, aids and gimmicks, the JDM would change the game. Loved it that Tada-San mentioned "a90's a car of your own, do what you may, it is YOUR supra, modify it, tune it, personalize it". This has always been the charm of JDM, the reason to fall in love with it (ik it sounds cheesy but u get the point). I know no other manufacturer as of this current time that does this. "Your car as a platform to create your very own masterpiece". Tada, whomever else made the A90, I respect them all. They followed the tradition, heritage, culture, principle. Nissan, Subaru, Mazda, Mitsubishi, Honda, you all better be taking notes.

Random meme
|
|
V

Everyone: so here's the perfect car
Owners & tuners: hmm..
Everyone: No.
Owners & tuners: oh well.. *shrugs*

Toyota: So here's an affordable sports car
Internet: *breaks*
Owners & tuners: hmm..
Toyota: Yes.
Owners & tuners: *not used to & confused*
Also owners & tuners: *opens everything and checks out*
The actual car: I'm all yours, do whatever you want
Toyoda: Without the Supra, I couldn't be a master driver
The actual car: hold my aftermarket ready body daddy
The internet: *breaks*
Everyone else: ........?
Time, the car, the tuners: yes.

Goose

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 FRS
I'd love to see Mitsu revive the 3000GT. With current tech, it coukd be an awesome car.

Nissan could make the IDX (I loved how that thing looked)

Mazda could use this new I6 they're making for a new Mazdaspeed 6.

So much potential that we could see in the automotive world, and that enthusiasts would rave over. If only there were more of us to inspire these companies to actually make these cars.

Goose

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 FRS
I find it amusing how many reviewers keep posting twin turbo instead of twin scroll turbo. It's like they're stuck with the MK4 in their heads

AsupramkvC

First Name
Gerich
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
What If Toyota Had Chosen A Different Partner For Supra Than BMW?

These eight renderings show what could've been.
In case you haven’t heard, Toyota partnered with BMW to revive the storied Suprasports cars. Oh, you have heard? Then you may not realize that the Supra shares much of its platform – including the boosted 3.0-liter inline-six engine under the hood – with the BMW Z4. You’ve heard that too? Yeah, it seems this partnership has become something of a controversy for Toyota, with Supra purists convinced it’s just a lower-priced (and lower-powered) BMW wearing a Toyota badge.

That doesn’t mean it isn’t a blast to drive. Our recent experience with the Supra revealed a terrifically exciting machine, though even with a fully open mind to embrace the Toyota-ness of the moment, we always felt a definitive BMW connection. It made us wonder what the new Supra would’ve been like had Toyota turned to a different automaker on this partnership.

It made the folks at Budget Direct wonder as well, only they took it a step further with a series of renderings that infuse Toyota’s design language with that of notable models from other automakers. If a BMW-based Supra upsets you, how about one with Ferrari or Mercedes DNA? Jump into the slideshow above for a flight-of-fancy tour of alternate-universe Supras, had Toyota looked elsewhere for assistance.

Source: Budget Direct

mercedes-benz.jpg

Mercedes-Benz
Perhaps we should be grateful that BMW’s crosstown rival wasn’t chosen to join Toyota on a Supra venture. The Mercedes-Benz front fascia and flashy headlights don’t look bad, but it’s not what we’d call a good look, either. Under the hood would almost certainly be the engine that powers all interesting Mercs these days – a 4.0-liter V8.

aston-martin.jpg

Aston Martin
Truth be told, an Aston Martin makeover doesn’t make the Supra look that much different. The arched hood from the Vantage is exaggerated here, but perhaps that’s because extra space for a V8 or V12 is needed.

ferrari.jpg

Ferrari
Speaking of V12, that’s pretty much a requisite for this Toyota-Ferrari mashup. Sure, it could borrow the F8 Tributo's vicious V8, but if there’s already room for an inline-six under the hood, an extra bank of cylinders shouldn’t be a problem. It already has the look of an 812 Superfast – with a bit of badge-engineering you get the Toyota Suprafast. It’s a no-brainer.

nissan.jpg

Nissan
Had Toyota teamed up with its Japanese competitor, something quite interesting could’ve transpired. We’re not sure this take on a Nissan Supra is really the answer; it combines GT-R styling with a short 370Z wheelbase to create some very awkward proportions. However, perhaps working together these automakers could give purists of both brands something they’ve wanted for a long time – a proper Japanese-sourced inline-six engine.

peugeot.jpg

Peugeot
Not all partnerships are destined for greatness. If you ever wondered what a subcompact Supra might be like, we give you the Peugeot 208 Supra and its very happy face. With a four-cylinder mill turning the front wheels, we suspect the driver isn’t nearly as thrilled as the car.

tesla.jpg

Tesla
One of the Supra’s trademark features is its front fascia with three large intakes. Electric power doesn’t need such things, so perhaps it’s very good that Tesla wasn’t on-board with Toyota for this joint venture. Honestly, this mashup actually looks quite good – it just doesn’t look anything like a Supra.

volvo.jpg

Volvo
Volvo’s design language has evolved considerably over the last couple decades, though we suspect there’s a bit of old-school brick in this Supra rendition. That could stem from the V60, of which we see some resemblance in the front fascia, but the overall effect is rather like trying to make a square peg fit into a round hole.

chevrolet.jpg

Chevrolet
For those who think the Supra’s exterior treatment is too tame, we give you the Corvette version. New and improved with more vents, wings, scoops, edgy lines, and an LS-based V8 under the hood, this rendering succeeds in looking nothing like a Corvette or a Supra. Perhaps, then, it’s the best design of them all.