Not open for further replies.

Novice_Mentality

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Subaru WRX STI, 1997 Toyota 4Runner Limited, 2015 Ducati 899 Panigale
I can't stand all these negative comments regarding the upcoming Supra. I understand if you don't like this car, but damn. Can you guys chill out. You're getting upset over a car that specs and the production version AREN'T EVEN OUT FOR. What part of this can't you comprehend?

You're complaining like you aren't giving this car a chance. If that's the case, WHY ARE YOU EVEN HERE? We don't need your negativity and shit talking. Once the car comes out with specs and figures, if it's not up to parr, then you can talk shit, but in the meanwhile just chill out and wait like the rest of us.
Sponsored

Dc2bar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'00 NBP Integra Type R, '18 BMW X6 i50, '16 335i GT
It honestly sounds like you're a raging teenager. Every single time Tada has been asked what this car was benchmarked against, he said Cayman. So if you're going to cry, please cry accurately.
This just in: you can now buy a Toyota badged car, built by BMW, with two more cylinders, yet still slightly slower than a Cayman, for the price of...a Cayman!

....lol

CantEven_Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Cayman GT4
Benchmarked during early design != Actual performance.

I suggest you go read any of the dozen articles in the OP. Actual performance is pathetic for a 50k car.
You do understand that no actual performance data has been released right? Just meaningless internet bragging type specs. (And vague ones at that)

Letā€™s just say for shits and giggles the guesstimated numbers at this drive event end up being the actual close ballpark specs.....even then! You canā€™t judge the cars worth without track times, driver feel, chassis performance, driving dynamics.....

Iā€™ve said this before and Iā€™ll say it again.....perfect example.....the Cayman GT4 I owned. Look at the same specs we kind of know about the Supra (hp, trq, acceleration, weight). It may look slightly better then the supraā€™s. 385hp (US version Supra might get that still) low ass torque (Supra will have more), 0-60 4.0-4.1ish (probably faster then what the Supra will be) weight, chassis dynamics, and engine placement is on point for the cayman I will say that, but look at the price. 100k!! If you want to compare the rumored specs of the Supra to 50k and the known specs of the gt4 to 100k?! Iā€™ll take the Supra! And the GT4 is known as one of the best driving cars available. Also before you go saying it is an NA motor and comes in a stick (which I will agree is a huge pull for the car) the next 718 gt4 is rumored to come with a dct auto option (which will probably be half or the majority spec choice) and the car will still be awesome.

NOW, all that said if the Supra comes out and actually drives and laps in a ā€œmehā€ type fashion.....than you can say your statement and I will back it up 100%.

But like any car for ā€œtuningā€. A lot of people including myself buy a car for its potential. Tuning and working on your car making it better and unique to you is the majority of the fun for me! Toyota has already pitched the idea of this car being a tuners car and they actually want people to go nuts with it in the aftermarket scene. They already plan to use this chassis in GT3 racing which means the car can handle plenty of power and retain its driving dynamics. If you remove weight from a car it can completely reinvent the car. Same with adding power. The latter being very easy these days on turbo motors (even if itā€™s a bmw engine)

Nothing wrong with the guys on the other side of the arguement as well saying it shouldnā€™t have to be tuned to make it the way it should have been at release. I get that, and in a perfect financial world....I agree. If thatā€™s your arguement though there are plenty of other options out there like that (aka all porches, the gtr, etc.) again though. Gotta lay for it and again it gets kind of boring buying an already perfect car and just washing and detailing it and doing maintenance work.

If you want an actual performance for the money, lap time demolishing, spec sheet bragging car I suggest buying a used GTR. They are perfect for that! Chances are though......you will sell it in a year or two. Iā€™m not saying from a financial aspect either. Letā€™s say you can afford or do your own maintenance, and letā€™s even say you can afford a decent amount of aftermarket tuning parts (cause again tuning is fun! And also the gtr would get boring after two months without bumping the power up) you will still sell it after a few years cause it just gets boring! Unless you are taking it to the track every weekend, which is another league of maintenance work and cost.

At the end of this stupidly long slightly hard to follow rant of mine. Iā€™m just saying before you pass absolute judgement on the car, at least do it after knowing 1. The final specs, 2. The driving dynamics (which you can argue we kind of know from this event) 3. The final price and 4. most importantly.....driving it.

Based on the press event reactions I think itā€™s doing great for a 50k-60k car and Iā€™m glad Toyota is putting more importance on feel than numbers. (As long as itā€™s true and not a marketing gimmick). If itā€™s a marketing gimmick and not actually how they feel....then F them! lol

Disclaimer: I have really no loyalty to Toyota or any car brand. Iā€™ve owned a gtr, gt4, m4, golf r, ttrs. Iā€™m all over the map. I am just a guy in the market for a great driving, fun, tuneable car and come final specs and final driving reviews I find myself not liking what I see then an M2C or another GTR will win my money.

Dc2bar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
You do understand that no actual performance data has been released right? Just meaningless internet bragging type specs. (And vague ones at that)

Letā€™s just say for shits and giggles the guesstimated numbers at this drive event end up being the actual close ballpark specs.....even then! You canā€™t judge the cars worth without track times, driver feel, chassis performance, driving dynamics.....

Iā€™ve said this before and Iā€™ll say it again.....perfect example.....the Cayman GT4 I owned. Look at the same specs we kind of know about the Supra (hp, trq, acceleration, weight). It may look slightly better then the supraā€™s. 385hp (US version Supra might get that still) low ass torque (Supra will have more), 0-60 4.0-4.1ish (probably faster then what the Supra will be) weight, chassis dynamics, and engine placement is on point for the cayman I will say that, but look at the price. 100k!! If you want to compare the rumored specs of the Supra to 50k and the known specs of the gt4 to 100k?! Iā€™ll take the Supra! And the GT4 is known as one of the best driving cars available. Also before you go saying it is an NA motor and comes in a stick (which I will agree is a huge pull for the car) the next 718 gt4 is rumored to come with a dct auto option (which will probably be half or the majority spec choice) and the car will still be awesome.

NOW, all that said if the Supra comes out and actually drives and laps in a ā€œmehā€ type fashion.....than you can say your statement and I will back it up 100%.

But like any car for ā€œtuningā€. A lot of people including myself buy a car for its potential. Tuning and working on your car making it better and unique to you is the majority of the fun for me! Toyota has already pitched the idea of this car being a tuners car and they actually want people to go nuts with it in the aftermarket scene. They already plan to use this chassis in GT3 racing which means the car can handle plenty of power and retain its driving dynamics. If you remove weight from a car it can completely reinvent the car. Same with adding power. The latter being very easy these days on turbo motors (even if itā€™s a bmw engine)

Nothing wrong with the guys on the other side of the arguement as well saying it shouldnā€™t have to be tuned to make it the way it should have been at release. I get that, and in a perfect financial world....I agree. If thatā€™s your arguement though there are plenty of other options out there like that (aka all porches, the gtr, etc.) again though. Gotta lay for it and again it gets kind of boring buying an already perfect car and just washing and detailing it and doing maintenance work.

If you want an actual performance for the money, lap time demolishing, spec sheet bragging car I suggest buying a used GTR. They are perfect for that! Chances are though......you will sell it in a year or two. Iā€™m not saying from a financial aspect either. Letā€™s say you can afford or do your own maintenance, and letā€™s even say you can afford a decent amount of aftermarket tuning parts (cause again tuning is fun! And also the gtr would get boring after two months without bumping the power up) you will still sell it after a few years cause it just gets boring! Unless you are taking it to the track every weekend, which is another league of maintenance work and cost.

At the end of this stupidly long slightly hard to follow rant of mine. Iā€™m just saying before you pass absolute judgement on the car, at least do it after knowing 1. The final specs, 2. The driving dynamics (which you can argue we kind of know from this event) 3. The final price and 4. most importantly.....driving it.

Based on the press event reactions I think itā€™s doing great for a 50k-60k car and Iā€™m glad Toyota is putting more importance on feel than numbers. (As long as itā€™s true and not a marketing gimmick). If itā€™s a marketing gimmick and not actually how they feel....then F them! lol

Disclaimer: I have really no loyalty to Toyota or any car brand. Iā€™ve owned a gtr, gt4, m4, golf r, ttrs. Iā€™m all over the map. I am just a guy in the market for a great driving, fun, tuneable car and come final specs and final driving reviews I find myself not liking what I see then an M2C or another GTR will win my money.
#1 - if you paid 100k for a Cayman gt4, unless you optioned the Christ out of it or paid a massive dealer markup, you fucked up. I bought a 991.1 Carrera S new for a few hundred dollars North of 100k.

#2 - the A90's ring times have been clocked at around 8 minutes flat, which put it at 15 seconds slower than the 4 cylinder 718 Cayman S... Which starts in the 60's, which the z4 m40i is expected to run.

Last edited:

BlackJet

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
e90M3
#1 - if you paid 100k for a Cayman gt4, you fucked up. I bought a 991.1 Carrera S new for a few hundred dollars North of 100k.
Congratulations you won the prize of losing more money in depreciation. LOL!

991.1 carrera S will have depreciated $30k+ by now.

Majority of 981 GT4's are selling for $90k+.

So I'd say the loser in this scenario is the .1 owner.

tha7osavage

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 Subaru WRX
#1 - if you paid 100k for a Cayman gt4, unless you optioned the Christ out of it or paid a massive dealer markup, you fucked up. I bought a 991.1 Carrera S new for a few hundred dollars North of 100k.

#2 - the A90's ring times have been clocked at around 8 minutes flat, which put it at 15 seconds slower than the 4 cylinder 718 Cayman S... Which starts in the 60's, which the z4 m40i is expected to run.
What year was your Carrera S? Jw because Iā€™ve been looking at those and the Carrera GTS lately

Last edited:

Dc2bar

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Congratulations you won the prize of losing more money in depreciation. LOL!

991.1 carrera S will have depreciated $30k+ by now.

Majority of 981 GT4's are selling for $90k+.

So I'd say the loser in this scenario is the .1 owner.
Except the entire post is about the new price of a gt4 vs the new expected price of an A90. Doesn't change the fact in the slightest that paying that much over msrp was a bad bargaining tactic.

Maybe you can bump this in 5 years when we're ready to talk resale value in A90's. Also, want to talk crazy resale value? I know several folks who bought brand new GTRs in '09 for 70k, then selling them in 11-12 for...70k making them essentially free rentals. Hell, an 09 now a days in great condition with low miles will still fetch high 50 low 60

Oh, btw, after getting rear ended by a delivery van, I ended up getting over msrp on my 991, so I feel I did fine. Ended up taking the cash and trading that down into buying a massively depreciating x6 and 335i gt, but that's the family life I guess.

Besides, I'd LOVE to know where the hell you're getting your used car prices from. Show me non high mileage 991.1 Ses that are going for under 70 from reputable dealers since you claim such high depreciation. Go ahead, I'll wait.

Last edited:

diss7

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A4, GT86, 997, TE27
Clicked on "show ignored content". Wow.

MK4 owners be like...

25-Funny-Salty-meme-12.png

GT-Four

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota Celica
The thing I hope Toyota realises is that this is their top of the page sports car. The fact that they chose to name it Supra adds to that immensely. With BMW it's not the case, there's a whole range of cars above the z4. And so Toyota needs to nail this no 2 ways. I expected the supra to slot somewhere between the Z4 and the M cars. If anything, I feel like these 2 cars are more alike than different. I still remain positive regarding this car and I hope there's alot more positive things we don't know but this game Toyota is playing is really not fun anymore

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
LOL what? Do you have a source on that? I've been following the details pretty closely and have never seen that. A70 said 7:40~ and pretty sure even the z4 did better than that.

Overall, I've been here for a long time. Nothing to me is more pathetic than watching grown men cry at the slightest scent of something unpleasant. Y'all rant for pages about the most absurd shit.

CantEven_Supra

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Cayman GT4
I paid MSRP for the GT4 and it was 106k

Soooo I didnā€™t really pay anything to drive that car by the time I sold it

outofstep

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MK3 Supra, MK4 Supra, 650S, BMW 335I, XRunner
Never thought watching people get mad over a car they have 0 confirmed details about was this entertaining :popcorn:
It's not speculation anymore. Dozens of organizations were invited to drive a 90-95% production representative car and report on it.

Read the OP. It has been confirmed by dozens of people, not collecting a paycheck from Toyota, that the new "Supra" is a turd.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Read the OP. It has been confirmed by dozens of people, not collecting a paycheck from Toyota, that the new "Supra" is a turd.

Define turd. Wording suggest BMW or not, this is a worthy car and not from one source, but others praising the handling and feel. On a pre-production model, that will have a bespoke interior, which makes no sense with how little time is left.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.