Not open for further replies.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
JDMuscle, I think Toyota's "fail" on this project was the use of the Supra nameplate to be honest. Had this car been called something else, it would be welcomed with open arms even if it had a Yugo motor in it. The problem that we enthusiasts see is that the Supra nameplate means a whole lot of things....things this new car doesn't seem to posses. I think if we take out that Supra name factor from all this, it makes the car a bit more palatable. I agree, so far Toyota has shown us NOTHING to be impressed about this car. We can get the same if not better performance from a 100% JDM 370Z for less money. If Toyota truly thought that the Supra name would bring in an extra $15k to $20k compared to it's competition, they will be in for a big surprise. I still feel there is more to this car at it's price tag, Toyota can't be that stupid to price it similarly to a Z4 and be less of a performer all for the sake of the Supra name....or could they???
I think we can all agree that if the A90 releases as the car portrayed in the MT, it will be a disaster for Toyota. Mid 300's hp, half GT/half sports car, BMW interior, expensive compared to it's competition. Id get a Q60 red sport and call it a day.

The issue with that is that I will not base my judgements on a production car because of someone else's opinion on a preproduction car with no specs.
We have no idea what will have in the next upcoming 9 months
Sponsored

Guff

Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A80, A90, Mk1 Celica
Vehicle Showcase
Hey hey.. I’m never the one that calls names unless I’ve been called something first. Guff you know this.. I typically try to squash it.
I just chuckled out loud in the office at this....haha...sorry.

I honestly just skip through the name calling posts now. Other than that, these are legit points being posted from both sides of the pond...no?
It's fine guys. Just try to think about poor Guff's job next time a conversation gets a little spicy. :thumbsup:

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
I think we can all agree that if the A90 releases as the car portrayed in the MT, it will be a disaster for Toyota. Mid 300's hp, half GT/half sports car, BMW interior, expensive compared to it's competition. Id get a Q60 red sport and call it a day.

The issue with that is that I will not base my judgements on a production car because of someone else's opinion on a preproduction car with no specs.
We have no idea what will have in the next upcoming 9 months
I agree, that's why I still have a feeling Toyota is up to something with this car. Maybe other folks are right, they could just be presenting a demo car for the sole purpose of showing off it's suspension, rigidity, etc... However, those cars look pretty complete....even the interiors. I can't see this car changing too much from what we have seen so far. Your right though, I have to be fair and at least give Toyota a chance to officially state these specs.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
I agree, that's why I still have a feeling Toyota is up to something with this car. Maybe other folks are right, they could just be presenting a demo car for the sole purpose of showing off it's suspension, rigidity, etc... However, those cars look pretty complete....even the interiors. I can't see this car changing too much from what we have seen so far. Your right though, I have to be fair and at least give Toyota a chance to officially state these specs.
Things like the interior, several of the journalists said Toyota mentioned the car will have a bespoke interior so we can still hold our breath on that one.

Toyota is also at the mercy of BMW's release timeline. For example, the S58 is set to debut soon, If the A90 was set to include the S58, Toyota would definitely not be the ones to announce the specifications. Even though a lot of the A90 rumors line up with the S58 rumors (450hp, 7500 redline) we won't hear those numbers until the X3/X4 M is released

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
JDMuscle, I think Toyota's "fail" on this project was the use of the Supra nameplate to be honest. Had this car been called something else, it would be welcomed with open arms even if it had a Yugo motor in it. The problem that we enthusiasts see is that the Supra nameplate means a whole lot of things....things this new car doesn't seem to posses. I think if we take out that Supra name factor from all this, it makes the car a bit more palatable. I agree, so far Toyota has shown us NOTHING to be impressed about this car. We can get the same if not better performance from a 100% JDM 370Z for less money. If Toyota truly thought that the Supra name would bring in an extra $15k to $20k compared to it's competition, they will be in for a big surprise. I still feel there is more to this car at it's price tag, Toyota can't be that stupid to price it similarly to a Z4 and be less of a performer all for the sake of the Supra name....or could they???
Another issue to think of is that Lexus has become the Toyota of the 90's since all the engineers have moved on up. Toyota has become the budget brand while Lexus has taken the market who can afford six figure vehicles and not balk at the badge, The top trim Supra of the past would have been 80k roughly today. Right around where the LC500 is being priced and having quite the tech despite the lack of manual and weight. The Supra name meant that it's the top car for Toyota, not Lexus while also not attacking and killing their own luxury brand.

This isn't just a Toyota/BMW collab, it's a Toyota/Lexus/BMW collab where they can't go at each other's throat and steal the latter two's sales.I wouldn't be surprised at a likely scenario of Toyota starting to work on the Supra, a Lexus engineer glanced over the blueprint and just took it and said mine because he's the big brother .Akio can only sigh and shrug by saying its out of his hands because they can get the money back and have dedicated engineers who have the experience.

Before you think of it, yes, Lexus and Toyota would have been great to have a SC and Supra again, but Lexus doesn't have a dedicated sports car platform outside of the engine and the RC was just a parts bin Lexus car. Realistically, Lexus would get the LFA equivalent while Toyota receives...an 86 version and it'd be a mess. It's a nightmare scenario to some for Toyota and BMW, but it's for the better as Toyota cutting costs and going nuts while Lexus nods and makes the Supra we always want, but can't afford. Because, I'm sure this LCF will be a monster and Lexus can reverse engineer the BMW car at their leisure.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
Things like the interior, several of the journalists said Toyota mentioned the car will have a bespoke interior so we can still hold our breath on that one.

Toyota is also at the mercy of BMW's release timeline. For example, the S58 is set to debut soon, If the A90 was set to include the S58, Toyota would definitely not be the ones to announce the specifications. Even though a lot of the A90 rumors line up with the S58 rumors (450hp, 7500 redline) we won't hear those numbers until the X3/X4 M is released
Wait.. this is the first time I’m hearing the A90 could possibly have an S series motor. I really doubt that would happen but let’s holdout and see.

I’m surprised people are thinking the interior would change from what was kinda shown so far with camo. It’ll be the same without the camo .. lol

If anything maybe a better looking steering wheel.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Wait.. this is the first time I’m hearing the A90 could possibly have an S series motor. I really doubt that would happen but let’s holdout and see.

I’m surprised people are thinking the interior would change from what was kinda shown so far with camo. It’ll be the same without the camo .. lol

If anything maybe a better looking steering wheel.
I have mentioned it several times here but is mostly blown over. Looking at the timeline of the X3/X4 M with the S58 release, it lineups with the A90 reveal. But again, Toyota can't mention it exists until BMW mentions it. All we know is the Z4 and Supra share the same hardware, in the same way a B58 and S58 share the same hardware.

That's just what the journalists say from what Toyota said, whether the interior changes or not we will see.

LEG1T

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
91' Nsx
I have mentioned it several times here but is mostly blown over. Looking at the timeline of the X3/X4 M with the S58 release, it lineups with the A90 reveal. But again, Toyota can't mention it exists until BMW mentions it. All we know is the Z4 and Supra share the same hardware, in the same way a B58 and S58 share the same hardware.

That's just what the journalists say from what Toyota said, whether the interior changes or not we will see.
This is 1/2 the bombshell the car needs for Toyota to meet or exceed expectations. The other 1/2 is a manual transmission. If that happens then we got something to be atleast content and decently pleased with.

Then if they really wanted a homerun they’d bring it home with an Interior that would make the A80 proud with a driver focused cockpit.

It’s really clear what the people want

MAKE IT HAPPEN TOYOTA.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
This is 1/2 the bombshell the car needs for Toyota to meet or exceed expectations. The other 1/2 is a manual transmission. If that happens then we got something to be atleast content and decently pleased with.

Then if they really wanted a homerun they’d bring it home with an Interior that would make the A80 proud with a driver focused cockpit.

It’s really clear what the people want.
I forgot to mention, BMW wont be bringing manuals to the US except in the 2 series and M3/M4 models in new cars. If this car has the S58 like the m3/m4, a manual is a possibility. But Toyota can't say that until BMW says the it

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase

Here is why I don’t think that will happen.. why let the world drive a car that doesn’t even have the motor they want to bring to production? Just doesn’t make good business strategy in a world driven by reviews.

Under promise and over deliver in this case seems like..

Over 300hp.. they’ll deliver 350
Under 3300lbs.. car will weigh 3250 (4cyl equipped)

You can’t have the lower curb weight and better HP output in the same car. Yet still they haven’t said a lie. Lol

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
Here is why I don’t think that will happen.. why let the world drive a car that doesn’t even have the motor they want to bring to production?
To review the chassis and suspension

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Here is why I don’t think that will happen.. why let the world drive a car that doesn’t even have the motor they want to bring to production? Just doesn’t make good business strategy in a world driven by reviews.

Under promise and over deliver in this case seems like..

Over 300hp.. they’ll deliver 350
Under 3300lbs.. car will weigh 3250 (4cyl equipped)

You can’t have the lower curb weight and better HP output in the same car. Yet still they haven’t said a lie. Lol
A reviewer did note a CE said drop 50 kgs from the Z4 and we'll be at Supra Weight. Z4 without the gas, luggage and 75 kg driver, equals about 1510 and means we get a 1460 kg Supra at the top trim, which isn't heavy by any means if the lower trims cut down further.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
To review the chassis and suspension
Then that should’ve been made clear.. keeping things ambiguous will lead to confusion and assumptions that’ll end up back firing like it has.

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Then that should’ve been made clear.. keeping things ambiguous will lead to confusion and assumptions that’ll end up back firing like it has.
Other than driving impressions, when reviewers asked about specs, they were met with very wishy washy comments that doesn't boil down anything about performance. Vague things like 300HP and 300 lbs. Only thing concrete was the US will be louder, much, much louder and the CE had his eyes widewith excitement.

mkivalex

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993 MKIV Supra TT 6SPD
It's a very confusing launch for sure. I can't see them release a completely different car @ 450 HP or whatever the claim is from what they have been testing. I think its pretty clear we are going to get the 382 HP as the high output motor.

It Is a little disappointing to hear the Z4 appears to be the more aggressive car of the two
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.