Not open for further replies.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
I think the joint collaboration is greater than these two cars. Let me explain... BMW builds this car and Toyota does some tweaks to it (given what we know.. it’s seems that way). Toyota in turn will give BMW hybrid tech that’ll be used elsewhere and not in these two cars.

So we are left with a BMW Zupra that has Toyota designed body panels and some tweaks to suspension and motor.
I agree 100%. When saying that, I am of the opinion that the Supra will have a S58 if Toyota builds the hybrid turbo and tech in the S58 which will be used in M3/M4/X3 M/X4 M models.

Toyota gets a car, BMW gets tech and power to compete with AMGs, RSs, and Alfa Quadasomethings,
Sponsored

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
I agree 100%. When saying that, I am of the opinion that the Supra will have a S58 if Toyota builds the hybrid turbo and tech in the S58 which will be used in M3/M4/X3 M/X4 M models.

Toyota gets a car, BMW gets tech and power to compete with AMGs, RSs, and Alfa Quadasomethings,
I wish I can be as optimistic about Toyota getting the S58. I just don’t see it.. but would love to be proved wrong.

Alfo quadrafoglios are awesome. But longetivity is a different question.

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Tundra TRD Pro, 1994 MKIV Supra TT
Vehicle Showcase
I wish I can be as optimistic about Toyota getting the S58. I just don’t see it.
S58 as in M3/M4 motor??? Not a chance! BMW is VERY cautious of their cocky rich "M" customers and avoids too much "contamination" in their lineup with other cars. Toyota tells the world, "the new Supra will have a BMW engine" and people whine and bitch. BMW tells the world, "the new M3/M4 will share it's motor with a Toyota" and BMW stock drops 50%. One thing people forget about M owners is, they buy their cars more for exclusivity than performance. Hence why everyone labels M drivers as "cocks." Even comparing Lexus to BMW, a BMW owner will always use the "it's just a Toyota will leather seats" joke just to make it clear that your driving a re-badged Toyota and not a one platform BMW.

S58 in a Supra is out of the question....however, if it ever happened....god help us all.

Jdmuscle

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Yogi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
94 Supra, 15 Viper, 16 Z06, 18 Shelby GT350, 15 IS350 F sport, 13 Vrod
Vehicle Showcase
S58 as in M3/M4 motor??? Not a chance! BMW is VERY cautious of their cocky rich "M" customers and avoids too much "contamination" in their lineup with other cars. Toyota tells the world, "the new Supra will have a BMW engine" and people whine and bitch. BMW tells the world, "the new M3/M4 will share it's motor with a Toyota" and BMW stock drops 50%. One thing people forget about M owners is, they buy their cars more for exclusivity than performance. Hence why everyone labels M drivers as "cocks." Even comparing Lexus to BMW, a BMW owner will always use the "it's just a Toyota will leather seats" joke just to make it clear that your driving a re-badged Toyota and not a one platform BMW.

S58 in a Supra is out of the question....however, if it ever happened....god help us all.
It’s the new M3/4 motor... I don’t see BMW messing with its image unlike Toyota has with that of the Supra.

BTW here it is..
https://www.motor1.com/news/267331/2020-bmw-m3-fan-rendering/

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i

Its optimistic to say the least. It all comes down to what BMW gains from the partnership and how much help they need to catch up to their M competitors.

Edit:
added hp figures

M3: 425hp
M3 Competition: 453hp

AMG C63: 469hp
AMG C63S: 505hp

Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio: 505hp

RC-F: 467hp

ATS-V: 464hp

RS5: 444hp

Last edited:

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I will say though, as much as I don't like BMW....I will give credit to their designers. The M3 (2020) rendering looks gorgeous! Actually looks like a Lexus IS from the back a bit.

solidsamir

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
sold
Sure, journalists have clocked the A90 unofficial runs around the 8 min mark. The Z4 did 7:55:41. Considering it's been confirmed they share a platform and drivetrain, it makes logical sense to conclude that the Supra will do similar times.
You can't quote yourself as a source. What journalist has clocked the unofficial run?

Modal170

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

What if rather than have Toyota craft the S58, BMW sees their thought process so while Toyota crafts a T58, a Toyota version that's like a hybrid of the two? BMW will make a S58 with Bavarian roots through and through but upgraded with some tricks from the Japanese company? And no one would be the wiser.

twntrbo03'

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 Supra Turbo Quicksilver ---1993 Supra Turbo Anthracite --- 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4

Most M owners just care about that "M" and the prestige of owning a BMW. I'm sure they will get pissed that Toyota has the same motor, but they will NEVER buy a Toyota because they are too obsessed with their BMW image and have brand loyalty. Also, if Toyota did in fact help them with their hybrid technology and BMW is in fact incorporating that tech into that many vehicles... I think Toyota holds the reigns and can dictate what motor they want in the new Supra. I would love to see an S58 in the new Supra, but I also think it's unlikely. I won't say it's "out of the question" or "not a chance" because we LITERALLY KNOW NOTHING about what is going on behind closed doors with Toyota and BMW.

As far as the interior goes, what engineer said the interior will be "bespoke" and what do you guys actually think he meant by that? I'm all for an interior that pays homage to the A80 (Fighter Jet style), but can't see the interior being changed that drastically. Then again, a lot can change in a year i suppose...

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
As far as the interior goes, what engineer said the interior will be "bespoke" and what do you guys actually think he meant by that? I'm all for an interior that pays homage to the A80 (Fighter Jet style), but can't see the interior being changed that drastically. Then again, a lot can change in a year i suppose...
There was several articles that mentioned Toyota saying so, all of which are linked on the first page of this thread

twntrbo03'

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 Supra Turbo Quicksilver ---1993 Supra Turbo Anthracite --- 2008 Toyota FJ Cruiser 4x4
There was several articles that mentioned Toyota saying so, all of which are linked on the first page of this thread

I realize that, but I'm curious how you guys are interpreting that comment? I personally think Toyota just means using some of the same old materials that were used back in the day and not completely shifting and redesigning the interior.

justbake

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
F10 535i
I realize that, but I'm curious how you guys are interpreting that comment? I personally think Toyota just means using some of the same old materials that were used back in the day and not completely shifting and redesigning the interior.
Old materials? like leather?
Shifting and redesigning the interior from what? We can already see the dash is a different shape than the z4.

Bespoke as in different than the Z4

PerformanceSound

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Bespoke probably in terms of "theme" rather than complete interior re-architecture. Look at my previous posts about the dash texture, it is a heavy textured material versus the BMW's smooth leather wrap. Maybe some exterior color matching panels (i.e., new Wrangler). I think these subtle changes are what Toyota is classifying as "bespoke." The vents, radio, climate controls, etc... will all be positioned identically to the Z4 because of safety designs and assembly line build times. I was seriously hoping that the MKV was going to have that classic MKIV cockpit layout, but this new floating center console layout just doesn't do it for me. We've been let down enough with the MKV, nothing is surprising anymore.

SVHO

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 MX5 ND, 2019 Acura RDX

Isn't all BMW owners are cocky bitch? LOL!!! Doesn't have to be an "M" owner. If I see two cars breakdown on the street in the middle of nowhere (one a BMW and the other is a pinto), guess which one I will help.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.